Charging cable does not seat all the way into phone.

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had a problem with their micro USB cable not fully seating into the USB port on the phone? I have had the phone for a couple of years but never really noticed because of the type of doc I charge my phone on at night keeps the cable from falling out. Over the summer though I have taken several road trips and had to charge my phone in the car where I noticed that no matter what cable I try none of them plug all the way in and easily fall out making it very difficult to charge the phone.

I really like the phone and am to the point of just buying another one used to solve the problem unless it is widespread.

Thanks

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Your charging port has lint in it. Take a pin or needle and GENTLY clean around the internal prongs.
Uh, I would recommend something other than a metal object to go fishing around in your data/charging port. Use a wooden or plastic toothpick.
Also I might add that the cable doesn't go all the way into my charging port on either of my Moto Xs. As long as it is charging then all is good. I wouldn't worry about it.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I second the wooden toothpick.
My cable also does not go all the way in, but came a time that it would no longer go in far enough to hold a solid connection and it fell away from charging here and there.
Cleaning the lint cured that. There was a lot too.

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I have used some canned air (cautiously) to try and blow out any loose debris even though I cannot see any to no avail. I'll give the wooden toothpick a try. The cable barely makes a connection and falls out with the slightest of movement or vibration.

EDIT: Okay so it turns out there was a surprisingly large amount of lint in there. Surprising to me at least since I have never had this issue with any other phone or it never became a problem at least. Anyway the cable fits a little better now but it's still not engaging like previous phones/tablets/devices I've had. I think it might hold well enough to not constantly fall out while driving though. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

jonratner999

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Obviously a non metallic pointy object is better. I did use a sharp pin (was lucky I guess) and pulled about 1 teaspoon of pocket lint out of the changing port. (I can't believe that much could fit in that tiny hole). Cable fits in like the phone is new again.

jkhurt15

Feb 20, 2019
Visit site
I have a blackberry Keytwo and it would not seat. I tried and tried with a wooden toothpick. I could not see the lent even under bright light. I finally ran out of options and got more aggressive with toothpick. There was lent and it came out easily once i pressed hard enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv