What is my risk of NOT updating?

saukriver

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the Moto X (2013).

I cannot stand Lollipoop. With Lollipoop, Google wrecked the stock email app that was in KitKat, replading the email app with a gmail interface. The stock email app in Kit Kat worked better with Exchange email accounts and multiple email accounts.

I have resisted upgrading for over 1 year. But, I am getting constant interruptions telling me there is new software for Moto X. Don't care to upgrade to Lollipoop or Mashmallow.

Thoughts? I have heard that several upgrades by Motorola was FUBAR.

I think my options are simply

1--get the iPhone 6s rather than deal with the Google email nonsense. WIth IOS, I would get normal email without being forced into the gmail-type interface?

2---The other option may be to root my Moto X (2013). I have rooted before, but I don't have time to find the all the ulitities for a phone that old.

What risks am I running by not upgrading at all? Really like the Moto X running Kitkat.

TIA

Last edited:

saukriver

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
ghggfc,

1. I understand updates are generally good. But, as I described, the Lollipoop "upgrade" wrecked the stock email app. in KitKat. I had on a tablet that "upgraded" to Lollipoop, and downgraded back to Kitkat.

2. I don't see where Fastmail works for Exchange email accounts. It also has a planned improvement to handle multiple email acccounts. So, it will not handle multiple email accounts and may not handle Exchange email accounts. Why do you recommend? It seems extremely primitive.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah okay I understand you are a victim of Google's material design policy, sorry that i commented

Don't apologise for trying to help, and welcome as a new member. Active members who try to help are always appreciated here, and usually do not go unnoticed by Ambassadors. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are many email apps that do Exchange and aren't Gmail. (I haven't used the Gmail app since about Android version 2 - I can't stand it.)

As far as not updating, you''ll miss the security updates. If you don't care about security, and tall the apps you need to run will run on KitKat, there's no reason to not use it.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the Moto X (2013).

I cannot stand Lollipoop. With Lollipoop, Google wrecked the stock email app that was in KitKat, replading the email app with a gmail interface. The stock email app in Kit Kat worked better with Exchange email accounts and multiple email accounts.

I have resisted upgrading for over 1 year. But, I am getting constant interruptions telling me there is new software for Moto X. Don't care to upgrade to Lollipoop or Mashmallow.

Thoughts? I have heard that several upgrades by Motorola was FUBAR.

I think my options are simply

1--get the iPhone 6s rather than deal with the Google email nonsense. WIth IOS, I would get normal email without being forced into the gmail-type interface?

2---The other option may be to root my Moto X (2013). I have rooted before, but I don't have time to find the all the ulitities for a phone that old.

What risks am I running by not upgrading at all? Really like the Moto X running Kitkat.

TIA

Take a look at Nine email. The IT guys at work use it and love it. You can also look at the Microsoft Outlook email app. From what I gather Nine is really good.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&token=rscd5W3y

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci