What Would You Change For the Moto X2 (Assuming There Would Be One)?

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Forgetting whether or not it will actually happen, what would you change if you could? This is my first smartphone and I've had it a few days now and have gotten pretty familiar with it.

Some things I knew I wanted before I bought it:

- Removable Battery: Should be required on all phones, kudos to Samsung for keeping this feature. I probably would have gotten an S4 Mini (or Xperia Z Compact for the SD) if it was available on AT&T and not even discovered the Moto X.

- SD Card: Again, good on Samsung

Discovered since purchase:

- Headphone Jack on Bottom, Not on Top: Downloaded a music player and then discovered this. Who puts their phone in their pocket with the top up?? This makes you have to turn the phone around when putting in and taking out of your pocket when using headphones, which also makes it more likely to drop. I guess maybe they chose to have the charging port on the bottom to make it a little easier to use when charging, but I would rather have the headphone jack down there and deal with having the charging port on top.

- Better Call Quality: - As noted in reviews, the phone ear speaker has kind of an unnatural robotic quality. I know a lot of smartphones "suck as phones" but I was expecting better considering Moto's reputation. My old Sanyo Katana DLX flip phone blows the call quality on this phone away. I can live with it though.

- Better Camera: I'll throw this in here since so many people have mentioned it, but I haven't confirmed whether it's good enough for me yet, especially after 4.4.2 and using touch focus.

That's about it so far. Overall it seems like a great phone. One thing I would NOT change is to make it bigger. The size is what first led me to discover it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: What Would You Change For the X2 (Assuming There Would Be One)?

- Removable Battery: Should be required on all phones, kudos to Samsung for keeping this feature. I probably would have gotten an S4 Mini (or Xperia Z Compact for the SD) if it was available on AT&T and not even discovered the Moto X.

This probably won't happen until the battle for thinner-and-lighter is over. Alas!

- Headphone Jack on Bottom, Not on Top: Downloaded a music player and then discovered this. Who puts their phone in their pocket with the top up?? This makes you have to turn the phone around when putting in and taking out of your pocket when using headphones, which also makes it more likely to drop. I guess maybe they chose to have the charging port on the bottom to make it a little easier to use when charging, but I would rather have the headphone jack down there and deal with having the charging port on top.

I put mine in my shirt pocket so I do not want it on the bottom!

Also, I ordered a Pressy (a Kickstarter project for a programmable button that goes in the headphone jack). If the jack is on the bottom that would be very awkward to use.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thread moved.

From Moto X forum to Moto X2 forum.

Last edited:

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

This probably won't happen until the battle for thinner-and-lighter is over. Alas!

I put mine in my shirt pocket so I do not want it on the bottom!

Also, I ordered a Pressy (a Kickstarter project for a programmable button that goes in the headphone jack). If the jack is on the bottom that would be very awkward to use.

Wow, I would be paranoid of it falling out from bending over. Tried this with an MP3 player once until it fell out the first day I tried it.

But even so I just tried it and putting it in upside down didn't seem much worse, you just end up putting your thumb on the screen to take it out instead of grabbing it by the sides.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

There will be no microSD slot and I wouldn't want one. It's slow and very bad for security. I prefer one internal storage that can be fully encrypted (I know SDcard cab be encrypted too, but it's already slow enough). MicroSD will also force Lenovo to pay royalties for devices they sell, not a good idea of they said they want to turn Motorola profitable in a few quarters.

Removable battery is bad for the phone aesthetic and durability. Also it's not needed because the MotoX have excellent battery life. I will almost not buy the phone if it had removable battery. It's okay for a different design, but not MotoX.

The call quality for the MotoX is one of the best I've heard so I have no complaint.

Headphone jack in the bottom would be nice.

The features I requests:
-assemble in US
-more color choices
-ability to engrain design/logo
-qi charging
-touchless control activated by any keywords user made up
-voice control to toggle hardwares
-more configuration for active display; show battery, day, date, show persistent notifications, flashlight, camera, shortcuts, toggles (some of these features are available for active display clone found in custom roms)
-better camera firmware and digital processing
-64gb
-inevitable: 1080p
-inevitable: bigger battery capacity, atleast 2500mAH
-maybe: some form of biometric unlocking
-maybe: gesture controls to activate apps or commands
-won't happen but wants: IR blaster, stereo speakers, audiophile quality audio chip

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Wow, I would be paranoid of it falling out from bending over. Tried this with an MP3 player once until it fell out the first day I tried it.

But even so I just tried it and putting it in upside down didn't seem much worse, you just end up putting your thumb on the screen to take it out instead of grabbing it by the sides.

The phone doesn't seem to slip out of my pocket when I bend over. That might be due in part to the grabbiness of the black weave back.

Not quite sure I need lessons on taking my phone out of my pocket. :) Ha! Any gyrations flipping it around makes it more likely to get dropped than if I grab it by its sides which is where I'd end up holding it anyway. Yeah, having the jack on the bottom would be very inconvenient especially when you factor in the Pressy.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Moved where? Without a link we can't move.

I'm assuming he moved it from the Moto X forum to the Moto X2 forum. Still the same exact thread, just moved to the appropriate place

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

msnider23

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Just a better camera that actually at least meets the competitions offerings, instead of the calamity that is the current camera

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Just a better camera that actually at least meets the competitions offerings, instead of the calamity that is the current camera

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

It's not bad in good lighting. Anything other than though, and it's awful :-\

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

There will be no microSD slot and I wouldn't want one. It's slow and very bad for security. I prefer one internal storage that can be fully encrypted (I know SDcard cab be encrypted too, but it's already slow enough). This will also force Lenovo to pay royalties for every devices they sell, not a good idea of they said they want to turn Motorola profitable in a few quarters.

Removable battery is bad for the phone aesthetic and durability. Also it's not needed because the MotoX have excellent battery life. I will almost not buy the phone if it had removable battery. It's okay for a different design, but not MotoX.

The call quality for the MotoX is one of the best I've heard so I have no complaint.

Headphone jack in the bottom would be nice.

The features I requests:
-assemble in US
-more colors choices
-ability to engrain design/logo
-qi charging
-touchless control activated by any keywords user made up
-voice control to toggle hardwares
-more configuration for active display; show battery, day, date, show persistent notifications, flashlight, camera, shortcuts, toggles
(some of these features are available for active display clone found in custom roms)
-better camera firmware and digital processing
-64gb
-inevitable: 1080p
-inevitable: bigger battery capacity, atleast 2500mAH
-maybe: some form of biometric unlocking
-maybe: gesture controls to activate apps or commands
-won't happen but wants: IR blaster, stereo speakers, audiophile quality audio chip

sent via tapatalk

I second the bolded ones. I even mentioned custom hotkeys in another thread and just forgot to list it.

Also yes more storage would be great. I want the SD card just for music, so don't really care about security there, but 64 gig internal would be acceptable without SD.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

The phone doesn't seem to slip out of my pocket when I bend over. That might be due in part to the grabbiness of the black weave back.

Not quite sure I need lessons on taking my phone out of my pocket. :) Ha! Any gyrations flipping it around makes it more likely to get dropped than if I grab it by its sides which is where I'd end up holding it anyway. Yeah, having the jack on the bottom would be very inconvenient especially when you factor in the Pressy.

Ha yeah I almost joked about that but didn't. Just was mentioning what I found when I just tried it. I just tried the shirt pocket again and when it's upside down and you grab it front to back it is actually very secure/no flipping. Anyhoo... :)

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I'm assuming he moved it from the Moto X forum to the Moto X2 forum. Still the same exact thread, just moved to the appropriate place

Yeah I got a notice it was moved. I actually requested it get moved back and changed to "What Would You Change On The Moto X?" since I was really hoping to hear what Moto X owners didn't like about the phone as opposed to talking about X2 rumors which the rest of that forum seems to deal with. Oh well.

Hoff Woohoo

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

Better camera and the ability to use the existing LED for notifications. I would almost say IR blaster, but not really in the spirit of the device...

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

The main thing I want to see is SERIOUS improvement with the Moto X's key feature: Touchless Controls. The voice activation needs to be more flexible, the dialog needs to be more conversational when trying to complete more complicated tasks, and I should be able to achieve more with it (control phone settings, make/receive calls more easily, etc.

I'd also like to see a better camera, and better battery life.

In fact, I'd like them to stick with a 720P screen in order to have improved battery life; I know its caused a lot of trouble for Moto, and they're definitely going to go with a 1080P screen next time around, but honestly, on a tiny device like a phone, it makes no difference. How close do you hold your phone to your face?

I also don't need the Touchwiz Experience, and receive a whole slew of features that I don't want. As an example, I like the fact that the camera app on the Moto X is simple, where I don't have a dive into a million menus to take a single shot.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Honestly, I think the real reason Samsung includes SD card compatibility is because TouchWiz is so bloated that without external storage there would hardly be any internal storage left for users. If TouchWiz is ever really cleaned up and becomes less bloated, I won't be surprised if Samsung says goodbye to external storage.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

The main thing I want to see is SERIOUS improvement with the Moto X's key feature: Touchless Controls. The voice activation needs to be more flexible, the dialog needs to be more conversational when trying to complete more complicated tasks, and I should be able to achieve more with it (control phone settings, make/receive calls more easily, etc.

I'd also like to see a better camera, and better battery life.

In fact, I'd like them to stick with a 720P screen in order to have improved battery life; I know its caused a lot of trouble for Moto, and they're definitely going to go with a 1080P screen next time around, but honestly, on a tiny device like a phone, it makes no difference. How close do you hold your phone to your face?

I also don't need the Touchwiz Experience, and receive a whole slew of features that I don't want. As an example, I like the fact that the camera app on the Moto X is simple, where I don't have a dive into a million menus to take a single shot.
Less people would buy it with only 720p. It will also get poor review score by many pundits, causing lowering in sales. I would also not buy it. It's no longer acceptable for a flagship phone. You might not be able to notice it, but others can. You subconsciously get used too and after prolong use, it will be more comfortable and pleasing for the eyes.

As for battery life, I already get consistent 5hours+ screen ontime. If they can keep that or better, it's good enough for me. The new gen hardware will have no problem rendering 1080p while still keeping good battery life.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

There is no way this phone needs 1020. I'm on it now and it looks like hi-def. As an engineer I actually think its great that they made functionality a priority over specs and would be disappointed if they caved to meaningless specs. The reviews of this phone were great which made me consider it in the first place.

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Do not want. I prefer a sealed phone.
Again, do not want. Can't use it for apps and too many problems with corrupting and losing data. I want built in storage. Give me a 64 GB option though. The days of 16 GB flagships are over, 32 GB needs to be the starting point and go up from there.

I actually really like having the charging port on top, the Lumia 900 had that and I loved it. Made the phone much easier to use while it was plugged in. In addition to that, I'd like wireless charging. Headphone jack location is not important to me. I use headphones regularly but I have it in my shirt pocket half the time (top jack is better) and pants the other half (bottom jack is better). I'm fine with either one.
- Better Call Quality: - As noted in reviews, the phone ear speaker has kind of an unnatural robotic quality. I know a lot of smartphones "suck as phones" but I was expecting better considering Moto's reputation. My old Sanyo Katana DLX flip phone blows the call quality on this phone away. I can live with it though.
Not a huge deal to me. I usually make no more than one call a day and use either my car's bluetooth or my headphones (Sol Republic JAX). I almost never use the phone's built in mic or earpiece, so their performance is irrelevant to me.
- Better Camera: I'll throw this in here since so many people have mentioned it, but I haven't confirmed whether it's good enough for me yet, especially after 4.4.2 and using touch focus.

So, so much this. This is my biggest compliant about the phone BY FAR.

Other changes I'd like:
Let the screen get dimmer. The current X's screen can get much dimmer using 3rd party apps than the phone its self will go. Problem is that the onscreen button area doesn't dim with 3rd party apps. Using this phone in the dark is a pain.

Wireless charging. Mainly want this for use in the car. I'd love to not have to remember to plug my phone into the charger. Just throw it on it's dock and go.

Expand what Touchless Control can do. I love Touchless Control so, so much and use it every day multiple times a day. I want to be able to do more with it.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Less people would buy it with only 720p. It will also get poor review score by many pundits, causing lowering in sales. I would also not buy it. It's no longer acceptable for a flagship phone. You might not be able to notice it, but others can. You subconsciously get used too and after prolong use, it will be more comfortable and pleasing for the eyes.

As for battery life, I already get consistent 5hours+ screen ontime. If they can keep that or better, it's good enough for me. The new gen hardware will have no problem rendering 1080p while still keeping good battery life.

There's no question that they will put in a 1080P screen on their next phone. I know they will. I just don't think they should. You may be right in your assertion that I have just gotten used to the resolution on my phone, but at the same time, ANY small screen doesn't provide for a great experience when viewing media. Its just too small. They could make Super Duper Ultra HD screens, but it will still be too small to make the experience great for media viewing.

Also, while the battery life on the X is good, inevitably, they will put a bigger battery in the second one. Unfortunately, any gains you would get with a bigger battery are lost with a higher-res screen. I personally would like to see the 5+ hours of screen time go to 8-9 hours and keep the resolution the same. I know... It'll never happen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12