Always On Listening Available on All Phones Now. X2 Not So Special Now.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
One of the main reasons why I went with the Moto X was the "Always on listening". I gotta admit now that Moto capabilities are coming to all other phones , the X2 isn't a compelling phone as it once was.

If the X2 comes out with some new features (unavailable to other phones) that are just as exciting and useful as "Always on listening" I may give it a second look but for now it looks like it will be just like any phone out there.

Always On For All:
http://www.androidcentral.com/google-search-update-lets-you-activate-now-any-screen

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There's still a bit of a step between what Google just rolled out and motos ability to listen when your phone is off and away from you, but that gap did just get closed a little.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Seems like Google has borrowed a lot from Motorola.

Always listening (Google Search update)
Trusted Bluetooth in L
Message syncing between phone and Chrome (Motorola Connect)
Android One (Moto G/Moto E)

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm cool with Google rolling out great Moto features to everyone else as long as when I buy the next Moto it comes with some great new feature that isn't released to all for at least a year or till the next Moto comes to market.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Wondering what Android versions the updated app will run on? No update for us antiques still on JB or, not yet anyway.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all that great features should be shared within android. Just like the way I've been begging for Samsung's multi window

Posted via Android Central App

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all that great features should be shared within android. Just like the way I've been begging for Samsung's multi window

Doesn't seems like it's always on though. Unless I'm mistaken it's more like 'on when phone is open/awake'. Lol.

And 2nd the want for the multi window.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't seems like it's always on though. Unless I'm mistaken it's more like 'on when phone is open/awake'. Lol.

And 2nd the want for the multi window.

i mean ive never had issues with google now, it always turned on whenever i asked for it, without ever touching the phone, but thats only when it can hear me, not in a loud crowded stadium obviously, you know? but that multiwindow, man thats the killer right there, youtube while texting or whatever, thats the best, i hope L will implement that.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
i mean ive never had issues with google now, it always turned on whenever i asked for it, without ever touching the phone, but thats only when it can hear me, not in a loud crowded stadium obviously, you know? but that multiwindow, man thats the killer right there, youtube while texting or whatever, thats the best, i hope L will implement that.

hmmm. i've never seen anyone be able to speak to their samsung with it off and have it wake up. Is that the part that's new?

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The X has a single core chip dedicated to always listening... Most phones do not. OK Google always listening kills my nexus 5, but doesn't on my X.

It's a step in the right direction for other phones, but moto still does it better as it was designed to do so!

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The X has a single core chip dedicated to always listening... Most phones do not. OK Google always listening kills my nexus 5, but doesn't on my X.

Actually, any phone with a SD 800, 801 or 805 has this ability built in, no separate chip required, though the OEMs haven't baked in the always listening low power feature in the software.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Seems like Google has borrowed a lot from Motorola.

Always listening (Google Search update)
Trusted Bluetooth in L
Message syncing between phone and Chrome (Motorola Connect)
Android One (Moto G/Moto E)

Google didn't borrow that, Google owns it. This is one of the main reasons they bought Motorola. Also, even though they are selling Motorola to Lenovo, Google still will own all of the patents. So we should fully expect everything that Motorola has done on their recent phone releases to be incorporated into Android.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
X8 is marketing and nothing more. Same features are available in sd800+

I beg to differ. The 2 low power cores are not ARM based. They are ultra low power chips that allow Motorola to do things with their phones that no other phones can currently do. And all of this is done with a relatively small battery compared to other phones. Do some research and you will find out how unique the X8 is. And this was just Motorola's first salvo. The X+1 should be amazing!

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol