Moto X (second generation): Specs

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I just see microSD card prices and wonder why they can't simply offer some larger sizes of internal storage. It shouldn't be a complex upgrade for the engineers. Probably the biggest complication is the marketing and UPC management. The bump in cost for the manufacturer from 16gb to 32gb is surely very small. And they could make some extra money offering a 128gb special edition at a premium, even if to keep things simple they only offer it through Moto Maker and keep very small inventories on hand.

No one but manufacturers know how much internal storage costs for smartphones so to try to make parallels between prices with micro SD cards is futile.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
No one but manufacturers know how much internal storage costs for smartphones so to try to make parallels between prices with micro SD cards is futile.

It's not futile. Yes, the internal flash storage they use in the phones is probably a higher grade to handle the much higher read/write usage, but it's not going to cost them exponentially more to manufacture. Those microSD cards are being sold at a profit. I think it's fair to say the manufacturer's cost for the higher grade flash storage is unlikely to be higher than the retail pricing of the lower grade flash storage in the microSDs. It's certainly not going to be vastly more.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not futile. Yes, the internal flash storage they use in the phones is probably a higher grade to handle the much higher read/write usage, but it's not going to cost them exponentially more to manufacture. Those microSD cards are being sold at a profit. I think it's fair to say the manufacturer's cost for the higher grade flash storage is unlikely to be higher than the retail pricing of the lower grade flash storage in the microSDs. It's certainly not going to be vastly more.

As I said we don't know, and in the end it does not matter. Until mass consumers clamor for more internal storage it won't change.

Posted via the Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
As I said we don't know, and in the end it does not matter. Until mass consumers clamor for more internal storage it won't change.

How many people are throwing a fit about microSD? How many of them wouldn't care about it if they could special order a phone with 128gb internal? There's your demand. Granted, that demand can be filled by including a microSD slot, but that doesn't meet the design criteria of certain products (Nexus line, most Moto products), and it doesn't provide an extra revenue stream for the device manufacturers.

And just because we don't know cost to the penny doesn't mean we can't do realistic generalization. You can get high quality microSD cards or high quality SSDs for .50-80/gb (and they're making a profit selling them at those prices). So if you want a fair generalization, it's very realistic to say they're not paying more than a dollar per gb, with the possible exception of very high capacity drives where they're squeezing a lot of gb into small space. And the microSD comparison is made even more fair when you consider that at least some mobile devices have been found to essentially have a microSD card soldered to the board.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How many people are throwing a fit about microSD? How many of them wouldn't care about it if they could special order a phone with 128gb internal? There's your demand. Granted, that demand can be filled by including a microSD slot, but that doesn't meet the design criteria of certain products (Nexus line, most Moto products), and it doesn't provide an extra revenue stream for the device manufacturers.

And just because we don't know cost to the penny doesn't mean we can't do realistic generalization. You can get high quality microSD cards or high quality SSDs for .50-80/gb (and they're making a profit selling them at those prices). So if you want a fair generalization, it's very realistic to say they're not paying more than a dollar per gb, with the possible exception of very high capacity drives where they're squeezing a lot of gb into small space. And the microSD comparison is made even more fair when you consider that at least some mobile devices have been found to essentially have a microSD card soldered to the board.

Not enough people are throwing fits, that is the point. That is why we have the Moto X starting at 16GB. Live with it or get another device. We can't change anything if not enough people are on board and there aren't enough people on board with external storage or higher capacity internal storage.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I usually get at least 4.xx of screen time at about 30%

In a full day use, off charge 6a.m., at night before bed I am estimate an average of about 25% battery left. I rarely hit under 15%
Wish the X had an extreme battery mode though. For those rare occasions when battery hits lower than 15% and there isn't a charger in site

Go to the battery section and turn on battery saver. It kicks in at 15% and lower

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Not enough people are throwing fits, that is the point. That is why we have the Moto X starting at 16GB. Live with it or get another device. We can't change anything if not enough people are on board and there aren't enough people on board with external storage or higher capacity internal storage.

Well Apple has their 128gb phone now, so it won't be long for Android devices to follow suit. BTW, none of my discussion was Moto X specific, but general observation that there's no good reason not to bump up internal storage on smartphones. But folks will demand it out of simple spec war envy now.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well Apple has their 128gb phone now, so it won't be long for Android devices to follow suit. BTW, none of my discussion was Moto X specific, but general observation that there's no good reason not to bump up internal storage on smartphones. But folks will demand it out of simple spec war envy now.

I doubt any mass consumer will. Look at the price, 128GB model is $399 on Contract! Probably near $1000 off. Who would ask for that?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Get a 32GB Android device and add a 128GB SD card. Most of people's data is music/photos/videos, no?

32GB and 128GB micro SD card slot is not common. Only G3 and M8 have that option at least on VZW, I know of.