Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree I'd like to see much better battery life, but I don't like the idea of just throwing weight at it. I want a smarter solution (although yours is better than no solution) - a solid 20-24 hour device with quick charge and the mini power pack things inexpensively available makes this less of a worry. I think there's a SERIOUS market for the MAXX type devices and I really hope to see that one continued.

Yep the new maxx if there is one is what I'm waiting for. If not then it'll be the note 4 or whatever has the best battery life of all the phones this year. Doesn't matter how cool your smartphone is if u have to charge it 2 or 3 times a day. Well I believe with all the upgrades the moto x will have a little better battery life. But that depends a lot on how the end user uses his or her phone also.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yep the new maxx if there is one is what I'm waiting for. If not then it'll be the note 4 or whatever has the best battery life of all the phones this year. Doesn't matter how cool your smartphone is if u have to charge it 2 or 3 times a day. Well I believe with all the upgrades the moto x will have a little better battery life. But that depends a lot on how the end user uses his or her phone also.

As long as the phone still looks cool with a drained battery then I have no complaints. 😛

If your only criteria is a battery beast, you might want to look into Huawai Ascend Mate 2.

Posted via Android Central App

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
As long as the phone still looks cool with a drained battery then I have no complaints. 😛

If your only criteria is a battery beast, you might want to look into Huawai Ascend Mate 2.

Lol. Its not my only criteria but its the biggest one. It has to be on Verizon also which is why I'm holding out for the iPhone 6 and RAZR maxx. So far the note 4 is looking pretty good and the old RAZR maxx, s5 and note 3 are the only phones to live up to my battery expectations.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If the Moto X antenna really works better than my current phone's, so that it doesn't have to strain for a signal in places where my current phone does, I could experience improved battery life. I don't think I have ever seen any website test for this.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Again, how do you know they 'skimped' on the battery? By the capacity? That only tells part of the story. Next time I buy a car, I'm going to compare it's efficiency and range solely on the size of its tank. Doesn't make sense, does it? No, cause the size of the tank only tells part of the story. Until I see some evidence when it's RELEASED, I see no reason for anyone to complain. Hope, yes, but not complain.
While I agree with you in principle, this is a device made up of standard parts. If it had a fully custom chipset or a new/different screen technology I would completely agree, but it does not. It is a sum of more or less off the shelf parts that have all been in devices before. We can make some pretty reliable estimates. It is still running Android, so optimization will only get you so far.

The best we can hope for is "as good as everything else". Which will be a feat unto itself sense it has a battery smaller than everything else.

If I am wrong, I will happily eat my words, but I really doubt that I am wrong.

And the car analogy falls flat when you consider that you care how you about how much it costs to run the care where in a phone you only care about range sense the compatible energy is so small and cheap.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
While I agree with you in principle, this is a device made up of standard parts. If it had a fully custom chipset or a new/different screen technology I would completely agree, but it does not. It is a sum of more or less off the shelf parts that have all been in devices before. We can make some pretty reliable estimates. It is still running Android, so optimization will only get you so far.

The best we can hope for is "as good as everything else". Which will be a feat unto itself sense it has a battery smaller than everything else.

And the car analogy falls flat when you consider that you care how you about how much it costs to run the care where in a phone you only care about range sense the compatible energy is so small and cheap.

The analogy wasn't for cost. The tank among other things on a car has to do with it's driving range which is the comparison to battery life. It was to prove the type of thinking. As for the stock parts, I can understand but we see battery usage differ from brand to brand when similar stock parts are used.

I'm not expecting the new X to have the best battery life ever, but I am expecting it to perform better than most are assuming. Just like you, I may eat my words if I'm wrong.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Another review: Review: In its second generation, the Moto X becomes a true flagship | Ars Technica

That battery life benchmark =[

I know it's been stated ad naseum, but Motorola seriously made a big mistake with the battery size. Will need more reviews to see what happens, and perhaps Android L's battery optimization can help it a bit too, but as of not, I'm really holding back on the new MX cause of the battery, because otherwise, everything else about the device sounds lovely.

Damn shame.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is not a big downer it says it is better than og moto x .. So it's not bad .. You will easily get through your day with some juice left ..I look at it this way .. It doesn't matter if you have 20% left at the end of the day or 40% you have to charge it over night anyway. I know lot of people will not agree with me ..but the same people will complain about how bulky the phone is and how uncomfortable it is to hold if they try to fit in a bigger battery. Motorola would have to sacrifice in hand feel of they try to put in bigger battery, which seems like still a plus for this device compared to other flag ships inspite of its 5.2 inch display .. It's a trade off they made .. It's the whole package that matters not just single spec.

Posted via the Android Central App

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
We don't know what kind of signal strength the Droid Life poster had, or if he had any wifi access at all. That said, if you're not seeing great battery life with your current X, then I somehow doubt the new one will offer much improvement. You may just be in an area that has weak signal, and any phone is going to struggle there.

This is a very good point. Motorola may have addressed this, which may lead to "some" additional power saving:
-------------------------------------------
External antenna with Dynamic Tuning (from PhoneArena)

Alright, so we've already established that when it comes to wireless communication tech, Motorola knows its stuff. To cement this notion, the company has added an external antenna with dynamic tuning (detects how you're holding the phone and decides which part of the antenna to use) that will replace Qualcomm's solution, and provide far better reception.

On our tour through Motorola's labs in Chicago, a few employees gave us a demonstration -- a Moto X with and without the gizmo. From what we saw, you definitelywant it, as the improvements in power routed to the antenna (and thus, reception) were over 500%.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Another review: Review: In its second generation, the Moto X becomes a true flagship | Ars Technica

That battery life benchmark =[

I know it's been stated ad naseum, but Motorola seriously made a big mistake with the battery size. Will need more reviews to see what happens, and perhaps Android L's battery optimization can help it a bit too, but as of not, I'm really holding back on the new MX cause of the battery, because otherwise, everything else about the device sounds lovely.

Damn shame.

According to Ars' test the battery in the new moto x lasted 18% longer then last year's model...

That's a huge ringing endorsement from my perspective. I never had a battery life problem before, if the new X is 18% better that's a heck of a bonus!

Everyone's usage is different though. I can certainly imagine scenarios where an 18% boost compared to last year still isn't enough for some people.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If the early reports hold true of 15-20% more battery than my X I'll probably get the new one. I'm not due for an upgrade till the spring, so hopefully by then the price of the phone and the quick charger come down. Also I want to see how the leather holds up.
I was interested in the iPhone 6, but it has the same battery life as the 5S, which is similar to the X in my experience.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
15-20% puts it at 30ish hours. But let's leave that aside.. the battery is 9% bigger. 9% bigger = 20% better battery life? Those screen efficiency and processor improvements are paying off!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Different software.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Different software.

As good as the software may be,it cant perform magic. It also cant keep the higher resolution, half inch bigger screen from pulling significantly more juice. Last time i checked, most people use their phone with the screen on a lot...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
As good as the software may be,it cant perform magic. It also cant keep the higher resolution, half inch bigger screen from pulling significantly more juice. Last time i checked, most people use their phone with the screen on a lot...

And yet ... the higher res bigger screen is drawing less power. Although, that's not entirely do to the screen tech or the SOC or the software alone; it's all three.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

It can't perform magic, but it can make a pretty significant difference. Motorola has stated that their new display is more efficient even than the lower res 720P display. Initial reviews are pretty good. A couple that I have seen were over 5 hours SoT. Not great by any means, but certainly not bad. L will improve it even more :D

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It can't perform magic, but it can make a pretty significant difference. Motorola has stated that their new display is more efficient even than the lower res 720P display. Initial reviews are pretty good. A couple that I have seen were over 5 hours SoT. Not great by any means, but certainly not bad. L will improve it even more :D

Think how good it would have been with a bigger battery...