Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
These so called tests don't really measure how most people use their phone in the real world. Signal strength has a huge effect on battery life. This is something I think most people don't take into account with the Moto X. Motorola typically has great antennas and the new Moto X has a new design that is supposed to be significantly better. This should give it a better comparative signal strength than any other phone and thus will have slower battery drain. Will it have the best battery life available? No. But it will be much better in the real world than the specs indicate.

Posted via Android Central App

fierro951

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, that's 8 hours of "talk" time. For context, hey boast about 13 hours of talk time... but when they say adding up to 8 hours I don't know if they mean increase by 60% (roughly) or charge up to 60% or if 60% has nothing to do with it and they're talking about something else entirely.

They need to clarify this. :confused:

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Both of those test above proves that you battery life performance will vary. The S5 also differs quite a bit between the two. Synthetic benchmarks are a good starting point but real life results always vary. Just look at your EPA numbers compared to what you get. And battery times aren't even regulated by a universal party....

jbyinc

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless the battery life is utterly terrible I would not bother. And personally I have made a point to always get a second charger the resides at work. And that is also useful when I travel so my main charger never leaves home.

Posted via Android Central App

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to people's real life impressions of battery (and camera).

I thought Anandtech is amongst the most reliable reviews/testers? Certainly better than Phone Arena, no? I thought they are among the worse...?

I think Anandtech's testings are more accurate and thorough. They put the brightness at the same 200 nits for all phones in battery testing. But I guess phonearena does that at full brightness, which partly explains disparity between two results. At 200 nits, iPhone 6 is at 1/3 of full brightness.

But either way, moto X battery results doesn't look good compared to other flagships.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think Anandtech's testings are more accurate and thorough. They put the brightness at the same 200 nits for all phones in battery testing. But I guess phonearena does that at full brightness, which partly explains disparity between two results. At 200 nits, iPhone 6 is at 1/3 of full brightness.

But either way, moto X battery results doesn't look good compared to other flagships.

Full brightness puts a disproportionate weight of the results on the display itself, and doesn't offer a level playing field. The thought process being that one manufacturer might have decided to spend $20 more on the display than another, when that other spent it on something else that would save them power.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Battery life would NEVER make not get a phone. That's why they invented chargers and portable chargers people. If i can at least 10-12 hours im happy, plus im in my car at least an hour a day and that pretty much doubles my battery life.

geraldo5002

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech calibrates the screen to 200 nits. This should not be done. All displays should be set to "auto". Phonearena puts the Moto X 2014 above the iPhone 6 (5h45 vs 5h22).

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Anandtech calibrates the screen to 200 nits. This should not be done. All displays should be set to "auto". Phonearena puts the Moto X 2014 above the iPhone 6 (5h45 vs 5h22).
If they were set to auto, and the brightness of the room changed for different phone tests, it would be an inaccurate and unfair comparison.

If you calibrate all phones to the same measurable brightness, it takes that variable out of the equation. It would be better if they did the test multiple times at different brightness levels with every phone, but there is only so much time in a day I suppose.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech has the new Moto X towards the bottom of the list on every battery test he did. He is usually spot on with reviews. Would like to hear some real world numbers from some people who have the phone.. AnandTech | The New Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) Review

It seems like it doesn't do quite as well as the 2013 on WiFi but does significantly better on LTE (due to the updated SoC).

Josh states, "Motorola is likely tracking closely to their estimated 24 hours of “mixed usage”. The use of Moto Display will also go a long way to reduce the time with the AP and display on."

I won't know for another week or two, but everything that I've seen thus far indicates that if the 2013 was enough for you, the 2014 will be... and vice-versa.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
It seems like it doesn't do quite as well as the 2013 on WiFi but does significantly better on LTE (due to the updated SoC).

Josh states, "Motorola is likely tracking closely to their estimated 24 hours of “mixed usage”. The use of Moto Display will also go a long way to reduce the time with the AP and display on."

I won't know for another week or two, but everything that I've seen thus far indicates that if the 2013 was enough for you, the 2014 will be... and vice-versa.
Yea the 2013 really wasn't. I still have my 2013 X but have moved to a G3 as my daily driver. I guess one good thing about a smaller battery is that it charges quicker..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yea the 2013 really wasn't. I still have my 2013 X but have moved to a G3 as my daily driver. I guess one good thing about a smaller battery is that it charges quicker..

The 2013 easily lasts enough for me but I fall into the letting active notifications do a lot (and I have two phones, moto x for personal and another for work) so my usage case is pretty weird and allows it to work out. Turbo charger ftw? The one rule I have for devices is that if I have to change my habits in a negative way to accommodate the device, back in the box it goes. But I came from a Gnex to the Moto X 2013 and it's an upgrade in literally every way.

Jonathan Lin1

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I just discovered the push bullet app. It's saving a lot of battery. I barely need to look at my phone now. All my notifications show up on my computer. Loving it.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

That's an interesting point. I'm in the habit of putting mine on wifi the minute I come home, but I'm going to have to try not doing that for a day or two and see if the battery lasts a bit longer.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The 2013 easily lasts enough for me but I fall into the letting active notifications do a lot....Turbo charger ftw? The one rule I have for devices is that if I have to change my habits in a negative way to accommodate the device, back in the box it goes.

Me too with the active notifications, which is probably why the 2013 always let me go nearly two days before having to charge. I also agree with your if you have to change your habits in a negative way rule. You have to wonder if when Motorola made the decision to put a smaller battery into this phone, they figured the turbo charger would ease the pain of shorter battery life. I got nearly two days out of my OG 2013 and will do just fine with the 2014, but for people who were having trouble with the 2013, a turbo charger isn't going to convince them to buy this phone - at least it wouldn't me.