09-17-2014 09:01 AM
44 12
tools
    Motorola Moto X Review

Motorola didn’t deviate from the recipe it concocted with last year’s model, but in making the new Moto X, they added enough changes and new features to warrant some merit from us. First and foremost, the design is more aggressive than before – complemented by the rich personalization of Moto Maker. Secondly, the phone performs super smoothly. Finally, the unique software features have continued to be kept at a minimum – though, the few that are present have been enhanced enough to our liking.

Add in the fact that it’s sporting a base cost of $99.99 on-contract for the 16GB model, it’s priced to sell and give the competition something to think about. Undercutting its rivals in the price department is one thing, but it’s another when consumers are given direct control of how the phone is designed. Sure, it’s not perfect, but for the things it has to offer, it provides class, simplicity, and elegance to how we use and interact with the phone. Frankly, it’s a hip looking thing that works well. It’s a flagship device here without the flagship ownership cost.
    maxman1 and Green_Laser like this.
    09-11-2014 02:30 PM
    Dude, stop spamming, you could have put them all in one thread.

jk
    09-11-2014 02:31 PM
    Seriously, though. It'd be nice if all the reviews were consolidated into one thread.
    09-11-2014 06:01 PM
    Seriously, though. It'd be nice if all the reviews were consolidated into one thread.
    +1
    If we're going that route, then for all review links, including future ones, to be in the first post too (if that wasn't assumed)

Posted via Android Central App
    09-12-2014 12:54 AM
    I dont see how it's "priced to sell". A 32G M8 can be had new for $499 on Ebay. A 32g N5 is $399. Heck, troll for an invite and get a 64g OPO for $350. Other than custom design(irrelevant if you use a case) there is no compelling reason to get this phone over the competition.
    huntnyc likes this.
    09-12-2014 10:36 AM
    I dont see how it's "priced to sell". A 32G M8 can be had new for $499 on Ebay. A 32g N5 is $399. Heck, troll for an invite and get a 64g OPO for $350. Other than custom design(irrelevant if you use a case) there is no compelling reason to get this phone over the competition.
    Because it's "priced to sell" at $99 on contract. MOST ppl in America still buy their phones in phone stores and this is aggressively priced against that competition.

Plus even with all those options you said....I'm still probably going to go for this over those, and I don't case my phone.
    Ry likes this.
    09-12-2014 11:48 AM
    Buying outright from the OEM has different connotations in the realms of warranty and trade/exchange/return support.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.
    09-12-2014 12:14 PM
    Can't really compare eBay prices with their normal price. A new or lightly used second generation Moto X will probably go for less than $499 on eBay.

and lol OnePlus One.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    09-12-2014 12:43 PM
    Can't really compare eBay prices with their normal price. A new or lightly used second generation Moto X will probably go for less than $499 on eBay.

and lol OnePlus One.
    Invites are flowing freely on the OPO. With no effort I've had 4 already. It is undeniably the best deal going.
    09-12-2014 02:58 PM
    Invites are flowing freely on the OPO. With no effort I've had 4 already. It is undeniably the best deal going.
    Hope you posted a nice selfie.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto G)
    09-12-2014 03:05 PM
    Hope you posted a nice selfie.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto G)
    Nope, just posted in a thread back in April and got my invite in July. Then they sent me 3 invites to share. It was a very simple process. Received a flawless phone 3 days after ordering.
    09-12-2014 03:09 PM
    It was a very simple process.
    That's debatable. I'd call it a terrible process...

Ry likes this.
    09-12-2014 04:27 PM
    That's debatable. I'd call it a terrible process...

What was your personal experience with the process? Mine was flawless.
    09-12-2014 04:40 PM
    What was your personal experience with the process? Mine was flawless.
    Why on earth would anybody have to try to earn the privilege of purchasing a phone ???? I mean is having money in hand not enough ? I was seriously considering getting one till I looked into the whole invite thing. That totally turned me off. I wouldn't ask for a invite no matter how cheap it was it could be 100.00. And I still wouldn't go through the invite process.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-12-2014 09:03 PM

He's actually one of my favorite reviewer, more geared toward the crowd, but still informative and concise.
    Ry, cgardnervt and Green_Laser like this.
    09-13-2014 08:24 PM
    That's right, absolutely no compelling reason to get one. Unless you like stock Android with actually useful software additions. Or you like being able to wake up your phone simply by talking to it or waving your hand over it. Or have it be contextually aware if you're in the car without having to download a third-party app. Or have great hand feel and looks that resemble no other phone out there right now.

I love when people attack other phones as if they need validation for their own choice.
    Ry likes this.
    09-13-2014 09:32 PM
    That's right, absolutely no compelling reason to get one. Unless you like stock Android with actually useful software additions. Or you like being able to wake up your phone simply by talking to it or waving your hand over it.
    True story. Woke up late on this Saturday morning, got a text message on my Moto G, the phone read the text aloud to me. I replied with my voice and the phone sent the message. Goes back to sleep.
    PeninaD and Citizen Coyote like this.
    09-13-2014 09:40 PM
    That's right, absolutely no compelling reason to get one. Unless you like stock Android with actually useful software additions. Or you like being able to wake up your phone simply by talking to it or waving your hand over it. Or have it be contextually aware if you're in the car without having to download a third-party app. Or have great hand feel and looks that resemble no other phone out there right now.

I love when people attack other phones as if they need validation for their own choice.
    I was making a logical, and as yet unrefuted, argument as to why the phone is priced wrong compared to its peers.

I love it when someone is so blinded by brand loyalty they feel the need to attack others to validate their choice.
    09-15-2014 11:09 AM
    Insert typical in thread warning here: __________________________. PUPPAH, civil, stay awesome, thanks!
    Mdbils484, Ry and Emilio Perez1 like this.
    09-15-2014 11:12 AM
    Why on earth would anybody have to try to earn the privilege of purchasing a phone ???? I mean is having money in hand not enough ? I was seriously considering getting one till I looked into the whole invite thing. That totally turned me off. I wouldn't ask for a invite no matter how cheap it was it could be 100.00. And I still wouldn't go through the invite process.

Posted via the Android Central App
    To each his own, but I got a 64g, top spec, premium device delivered to my home for $364.00 tax included. All I had to do was make one post in the forums and the invite showed up in my inbox.
    Aquila likes this.
    09-15-2014 11:17 AM
    To each his own, but I got a 64g, top spec, premium device delivered to my home for $364.00 tax included. All I had to do was make one post in the forums and the invite showed up in my inbox.
    Exactly. I made one post and reviewed an invite then I received three more to share.

09-15-2014 11:30 AM
    Exactly. I made one post and reviewed an invite then I received three more to share.

Me too. My shareable invites were gobbled up in literally seconds. Demand is strong with this one...
    09-15-2014 11:34 AM
    I was making a logical, and as yet unrefuted, argument as to why the phone is priced wrong compared to its peers.

I love it when someone is so blinded by brand loyalty they feel the need to attack others to validate their choice.
    But Citizen Coyote replied with useful software features that are in the second generation Moto X. It's not just about the hardware specs. Motorola's software features are touted as value adds to Android.
    09-15-2014 11:55 AM
    But Citizen Coyote replied with useful software features that are in the second generation Moto X. It's not just about the hardware specs. Motorola's software features are touted as value adds to Android.
    All those features can be added via 3rd part apps for WAY less than the additional cost of the X verses the competition. Apps like Dynamic Notifications offer many of the same features.
    09-15-2014 12:02 PM
    All those features can be added via 3rd part apps for WAY less than the additional cost of the X verses the competition. Apps like Dynamic Notifications offer many of the same features.
    AnandTech | Motorola Announces the New Moto X: Initial Impressions and Hands On

Moto Display is also present as the second generation of Active Display, and is now proximity based along with motion-based actions, which works by using the three IR transmitters and one IR receiver. This continues to use a low power DSP that is likely another TI solution. Motorola demonstrated how their solution is an order of magnitude lower in power compared to the same functionality implemented by a Play Store app for phones that lack Moto Display/Active Display. This was done wiring up a second gen Moto X and competing device to a power monitor.
    09-15-2014 12:16 PM
44 12