So I read the hype regarding the leather back on the X. I like it, but what lies under the leather? How thick is the leather backing? I ask due to the leather possibly wearing thin, perhaps even wear thru, then what material and color is under the leather that would show?
    Thanx
    09-18-2014 11:37 AM
    So I read the hype regarding the leather back on the X. I like it, but what lies under the leather? How thick is the leather backing? I ask due to the leather possibly wearing thin, perhaps even wear thru, then what material and color is under the leather that would show?
    Thanx
    It sounds like it's very high quality leather, so I wouldn't expect it to wear through in the life of the phone, though it would certainly depend on usage. I would expect it to be plastic behind the leather.
    09-18-2014 12:28 PM
    I am assuming there is some type of padding under the leather. I don't think it's just hard to the touch. Good leather should not wear thin in 2 years. If you keep it longer than that..well just don't lol

Posted via Android Central App
    09-18-2014 03:01 PM
    I am loving the look of the leather but MKBHD in his review he mentioned that it seems the leather wears quick. Kinda skeptical. But with the and extended warranty I may not worry about it
    09-19-2014 07:32 AM
    I am loving the look of the leather but MKBHD in his review he mentioned that it seems the leather wears quick. Kinda skeptical. But with the and extended warranty I may not worry about it
    Is this the warranty you can buy?
    09-19-2014 08:09 AM
    Is this the warranty you can buy?
    With the moto x 1st gen what you by basically extended the factory warranty for another year. So you would have 2 years total but it also added insurance
    09-19-2014 08:11 AM
    With the moto x 1st gen what you by basically extended the factory warranty for another year. So you would have 2 years total but it also added insurance
    But its something you bought though?
    09-19-2014 08:20 AM
    This is somewhat concerning:
    Moto X (2014) Review: Bigger, Faster, Smarter | TechnoBuffalo
    Finally, the back of the Moto X can be fitted with any number of custom backs (through Moto Maker), which now feature leather options in addition to wood and solid colors. We received a black leather model and while it does feel great, we’re not overly crazy about the way it looks. After a few weeks of use, it looks worn, scratched, faded, scuffed. Motorola told us it was aware leather would wear quickly, saying it gives the rear shells character. Maybe so.

One thing worth noting: one of the corners is already slowly peeling away, which I hope doesn’t foreshadow what other Moto X users who choose the leather option will experience.
    The scratching, ect. does not bother me, but a corner pealing up is a no-go. I really want a leather back, but this is making me rethink it.
    09-19-2014 08:28 AM
    But its something you bought though?
    Yes sir
    cgardnervt likes this.
    09-19-2014 08:30 AM

The scratching, ect. does not bother me, but a corner pealing up is a no-go. I really want a leather back, but this is making me rethink it.
    Yikes. Yeah, that would give me pause. I had my heart set on leather as well, but this doesn't instill confidence. Hopefully it's just a one-off problem.
    09-19-2014 08:37 AM
    I also wonder if they are just earlier demos with a lot of testing! Never know but time will tell. I hope the wood holds up as well. Thats what I went with.
    09-19-2014 08:42 AM
    I'm getting the leather, and the only concern i have is a manufacturer defect such as the corners peeling or such. In that case, I'm sure Motorola would make good on the defect.

That being said, am I the only one that is looking forward to the leather actually scuffing and scratching and wearing in? I love that look. Gives the phone character too. I'm not worried about resale value either, most of the time you're only getting around $100 or so after 2 years anyway for a phone.

The scratches and stuff...could care less. Peeling...that's an issue, if in fact, it's an issue. This is the first I'm hearing of it. Could be a one-off.
    09-19-2014 08:44 AM

Agreed and my concern with the leather as well
    09-19-2014 09:01 AM
    I would hope that the corners and edges are kind of tucked around in a sense to help prevent peeling ..... Just don't know how they would do that
    09-23-2014 06:15 PM
    I usually go naked with my phones but I would most likely go with the Moto bumper case which would protect the edges, hopefully preventing the likelihood of peeling but still not cover the leather back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    09-23-2014 09:05 PM

The leather back looks awesome and it if you get a brown color, it is going to look good when it wears in. My guess is they bond the leather and its unlikely to peel. My concern is what it is going to look like when someone spills wine on a table that your phone is sitting on. I am leaning towards a wood. There are downsides to wood also but it is the more durable of the two. I would say that if you are hard on your phone, get the plastic back.
    alphabets and dmark44 like this.
    09-24-2014 07:42 AM
    I have had the natural leather back for just about a week and I am love LOVE how it looks. Its even starting to wear the way I hoped it would, giving my phone a one of a kind look.

When I first got it, I thought it was a little slippery, but now that I've gotten used to it, I don't notice it as much.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-20-2014 03:47 PM
    I have thr natural leather ordered waiting on arrival question for leather owners. Did you get anything engraved and if so how does it look and feel?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-21-2014 12:33 AM