Will Sprint not get the Moto X 2014?

honkey haze

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Love the Moto X, but disappointed in Motorola.

i think all of those are valid concerns. i just want to point out that:
moto sold more than ten million phones since the release of the og moto x. the apps that are shared by the x, g, e, and droids are sitting at 10 - 50 million downloads. so i don't think that changes from lenovo are going to be drastic. moto is headed up, not down.
the x did not sell well at all. we all know that. if sprint does not carry the x then i really cannot blame them.
last years tmobile x was never sold in the store... so no changes there.
if this years x sells well... then you better beleive the other carriers will be wanting a piece of the action. but you also have to take into account that there are an awful lot of stores. and companies like sprint and tmobile may not be able to afford/take a chance on the amount of phones it would take to stock each and every store. not to mention have enough on hand to immediately replenish stock, and sell them online. moto very well could, and probably does, have a minimum order.
and last... the new moto has not been officially released on att yet. so displays and signage are not something that i expect to see yet. what i would like to know though..... is what in the heck happened to all of those backs and button accents from the old moto displays? i sure would have loved to have ended up with a full set.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

No offense guys, but some of you are missing my point. Yes I could Swappa a t-mobile iPhone and make out Ok, but that's not the point - - I shouldn't have to resort to something like that. Motorola should be willing to give in a little to the carriers to get the maximum exposure for the X and they aren't doing that. I mean somehow Motorola seems to get along with the most oppressive of the carriers, Verizon, but it can't get along w sprint or t-mobile the weakest?

Sure t-mobile didn't have the Moto X last year; but who wants to argue that the 1st Gen was the resounding success we all wanted it to? I personally have only seen one other X in the wild in the 13 months since it's original release. Is that what we want Motorola to repeat?

Let me be clear, I would have no problem with the X being a hidden gem niche phone if I thought that could be sustained. Under Google that would have been possible. I'm sounding the warning bell because I think it can't. Google has the cash, moxie, and relationships with the carriers to ensure the Moto X is supported. Lenovo has only (perhaps) one of those three things. And that's how it works. How else can we explain why the biggest flop in recent memory (fire phone) still has prominent display in stores?

As amazon has painfully learned the days of the exclusive carrier is over. Motorola, without Google doesn't hold a candle compared to Apple or Samsung when it comes to negotiation power, in other words Motorola is in no position to play hard to get w sprint or t-mobile.

As I said while Motorola may be successful over seas, Lenovo won't be in a mood to tolerate losing money in North America for long.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

No offense guys, but some of you are missing my point. Yes I could Swappa a t-mobile iPhone and make out Ok, but that's not the point - - I shouldn't have to resort to something like that. Motorola should be willing to give in a little to the carriers to get the maximum exposure for the X and they aren't doing that. I mean somehow Motorola seems to get along with the most oppressive of the carriers, Verizon, but it can't get along w sprint or t-mobile the weakest?

Sure t-mobile didn't have the Moto X last year; but who wants to argue that the 1st Gen was the resounding success we all wanted it to? I personally have only seen one other X in the wild in the 13 months since it's original release. Is that what we want Motorola to repeat?

Let me be clear, I would have no problem with the X being a hidden gem niche phone if I thought that could be sustained. Under Google that would have been possible. I'm sounding the warning bell because I think it can't. Google has the cash, moxie, and relationships with the carriers to ensure the Moto X is supported. Lenovo has only (perhaps) one of those three things. And that's how it works. How else can we explain why the biggest flop in recent memory (fire phone) still has prominent display in stores?

As amazon has painfully learned the days of the exclusive carrier is over. Motorola, without Google doesn't hold a candle compared to Apple or Samsung when it comes to negotiation power, in other words Motorola is in no position to play hard to get w sprint or t-mobile.

As I said while Motorola may be successful over seas, Lenovo won't be in a mood to tolerate losing money in North America for long.

That's where I'm getting confused. Moto seems to be saying they want to be everywhere and Sprint said no... what makes you think it is not Sprint making the call?

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

I think you should take a look at Lenovo's history in North America. 10(approx) years ago, they had no business here, then bought the pc division of IBM and have just recently become the #1 seller/maker of pc's in North America, and the world. The PC division of IBM was suffering and Lenovo turned it around very quickly. They will do the same with Motorola. Moto has the brand recognition in cellular and Lenovo has the cash and innovation.

Lenovo is already the world's #4 smartphone manufacturer and they will take the Moto stuff and jam it into their China market, which is the single largest smartphone market in the world. My guess is they will also start selling cellular tablets and laptops via US carriers at some point soon and in 5 years will have a significant share of the US cellular device market - giving them that status with the big carriers in the US. They are in it long term. It will only be good news going forward for Motorola.

Posted via Android Central App

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

That's where I'm getting confused. Moto seems to be saying they want to be everywhere and Sprint said no... what makes you think it is not Sprint making the call?

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter who is saying no. If Sprint isn't accepting Motorola's current terms then Motorola needs to sweeten the offer. Same goes for t-mobile. If it is serious about getting the Moto X out there in the public' eye Motorola's going to have to open up the pocket book. No two ways about it.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Nexus is the way to go and you can get it thru all the major carriers

Um, no. Not on Verizon. I would say its a major carrier.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I think you should take a look at Lenovo's history in North America. 10(approx) years ago, they had no business here, then bought the pc division of IBM and have just recently become the #1 seller/maker of pc's in North America, and the world. The PC division of IBM was suffering and Lenovo turned it around very quickly. They will do the same with Motorola. Moto has the brand recognition in cellular and Lenovo has the cash and innovation.

Lenovo is already the world's #4 smartphone manufacturer and they will take the Moto stuff and jam it into their China market, which is the single largest smartphone market in the world. My guess is they will also start selling cellular tablets and laptops via US carriers at some point soon and in 5 years will have a significant share of the US cellular device market - giving them that status with the big carriers in the US. They are in it long term. It will only be good news going forward for Motorola.

Lenovo might very well make Motorola a power in China. But that does nothing for us in the US. Lenovo is too smart a company to lose money in the US, not for long anyway. This is doubly true if they are making money overseas: why make money in China or India just to loose it in the US?

Lenovo has no relationship with US carriers, no bargaining power. It will be essentially starting miles behind apple and Samsung in the US market with no real hope of catching up.

Motomaker was started, in part, to wrest control from the carriers. That side of the experiment has failed. That's too bad, but now if Motorola wants meaningful market share it's going to have to get in stores.

The majority of the US buying public wants to go to a brick and mortar store, touch it, feel it, and take it home.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

If I was a Sprint customer right now, I would be ticked too. However, I wouldn't put the blame solely on Motorola. It's been confirmed that it will be available on US Cellular which is another CDMA carrier. So, I think there is more to the story then what's being told.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Lenovo might very well make Motorola a power in China. But that does nothing for us in the US. Lenovo is too smart a company to lose money in the US, not for long anyway. This is doubly true if they are making money overseas: why make money in China or India just to loose it in the US?

Lenovo has no relationship with US carriers, no bargaining power. It will be essentially starting miles behind apple and Samsung in the US market with no real hope of catching up.

Motomaker was started, in part, to wrest control from the carriers. That side of the experiment has failed. That's too bad, but now if Motorola wants meaningful market share it's going to have to get in stores.

The majority of the US buying public wants to go to a brick and mortar store, touch it, feel it, and take it home.

What I meant was Lenovo had no pc presence in the US back then, but they are now a powerhouse.

mttmks

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Part of the reason why Motorola has a small presence ad-wise is because it costs a lot of money to advertise. They don't have the same money that Samsung and Apple have. The best thing I've seen from Motorola is their displays with the MotoMaker backs and accents. People spend a lot of time admiring the backs and even design their own, but because they can't get it that day, they buy something else.

It doesn't help that every time I go into a cell store, the salesmen are pushing people to the highest specs rather than what they actually need.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure how anyone would know what the marketing strategy of Lenovo for as yet un-built devices is. I can not believe that they would purchase Motorola with the intent of abandoning it.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure how anyone would know what the marketing strategy of Lenovo for as yet un-built devices is. I can not believe that they would purchase Motorola with the intent of abandoning it.

I agree with you 100% here but I think people fear what became of the HP & Palm merger. All it takes is just ONE bad decision to crush what was at one point and time a great power house in the market! I think this is why we see even companies even like Apple just continue with what just "works" for them. Sammy is doing it, Moto should continue and still try an reach a new customer base. But we shall see in due time! I think we need to give Lenovo a shot and let their buy mature some before we hate them. In any case thats just my thought.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I agree with you 100% here but I think people fear what became of the HP & Palm merger. All it takes is just ONE bad decision to crush what was at one point and time a great power house in the market! I think this is why we see even companies even like Apple just continue with what just "works" for them. Sammy is doing it, Moto should continue and still try an reach a new customer base. But we shall see in due time! I think we need to give Lenovo a shot and let their buy mature some before we hate them. In any case thats just my thought.

Exactly.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Part of the reason why Motorola has a small presence ad-wise is because it costs a lot of money to advertise. They don't have the same money that Samsung and Apple have. The best thing I've seen from Motorola is their displays with the MotoMaker backs and accents. People spend a lot of time admiring the backs and even design their own, but because they can't get it that day, they buy something else.

It doesn't help that every time I go into a cell store, the salesmen are pushing people to the highest specs rather than what they actually need.

You know who DOES have apple/Samsung money? Google.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm not saying I know what Lenovo motivations were in buying Motorola. I'm just saying they Didn't buy it with the intention of loosing money. Is that such a leap of logic?

Lenovo and Moto might very well be a smash in emerging markets. But that means nothing for the US market and I'm being selfish and worrying about what's going to be in my hand in a couple of years.

Chances are it won't be a Motorola and I'm upset about it because I just love Moto's products.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter who is saying no. If Sprint isn't accepting Motorola's current terms then Motorola needs to sweeten the offer. Same goes for t-mobile. If it is serious about getting the Moto X out there in the public' eye Motorola's going to have to open up the pocket book. No two ways about it.

No. Sprint isn't that big of a deal, esp not compared to Verizon and AT&T which control about 2/3rds market share. If Moto were to give Sprint a deal on these phones and it got back to the big guys(and it would)then they wouldn't be doing business with them in the future. There is absolutely no incentive for them to give this thing to Sprint.

It's Sprint's decision not to order the phone, believe me Moto would be more than happy to load that thing with every Sprint app under the stars and sell them the device for the same thing they are selling it to Verizon/AT&T for. Sprint doesn't want to waste the shelf space, manpower to explain features, or money on marketing to sell the phone.

Your anger/frustration is misplaced here and if you want to continue giving money to a company that continually makes boneheaded moves left and right because it's too much of a "hassle" for you then that is your prerogative. Sprint has a long line of dumb decisions and believe me they will continue under this new regime also. Clearly not enough Sprint customers bought the first X and not enough will leave them for this one either.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

And I just saw a iPhone 6 exclusive deal from Sprint with unlimited everything including data for $50. Hmmm....makes you wonder?!?!?!?! Look, Sprint needs to succeed, we all need them too. Why? Cause we need the competition to keep the prices in check. I find it odd they are not offering the new X as well. They'll bring in a Sharp phone that is new to the US market, as far as phones go, but they won't bring the X to their hurting network. As I stated before, there is more to this story then what is being told.

Last edited:

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Nexus is the way to go and you can get it thru all the major carriers

Except Verizon....

The moto x not being available on sprint also concerns me as a Nexus 5 user. The rumor that Motorola will be making the new nexus phone makes me wonder if the N6 won't be available on sprint either.