05-28-2015 01:26 PM
57 123
tools
    According to Android Police and Droid Life 2014 Moto x will not be coming to Sprint. I was going to buy one outright as I am in the middle of a contract and I cracked my screen. Looks like Im buying a 2013 version

Posted via Android Central App
    09-18-2014 02:42 PM

Moto and Sprint both seem to think it's a no...
    Hunh. I guess I just go back to the Moto X 2013 forum. Bummer.
    09-18-2014 02:52 PM
    09-18-2014 03:15 PM
    That review don't mean anything compared to official words by Motorola: https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/512272654032965633

Edit: It seems this is due to the failed T-Mobile buyout Sprint was going for. If you look in that AnandTech chart, the "Sprint version" support all the AWS 3G and LTE frequencies that T-Mobile required.
    09-18-2014 03:25 PM
    That review don't mean anything compared to official words by Motorola: https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/512272654032965633

Edit: It seems this is due to the failed T-Mobile buyout Sprint was going for. If you look in that AnandTech chart, the "Sprint version" support all the AWS 3G and LTE frequencies that T-Mobile required.
    Eh. So does the Nexus 5. Sprint could choose to allow the Pure version to be activated on their network like they did with the Nexus 5. Let's hope they choose to.
    09-18-2014 03:39 PM
    Eh. So does the Nexus 5. Sprint could choose to allow the Pure version to be activated on their network like they did with the Nexus 5. Let's hope they choose to.
    Another theory is hardware incompatibility, if you read the Anandtech, it said:
    What might be notable is the lack of carrier aggregation on the new Moto X
    Sprint Spark required triband capable phones. So maybe that's another reason.
    09-18-2014 03:47 PM
    Another theory is hardware incompatibility, if you read the Anandtech, it said:

Sprint Spark required triband capable phones. So maybe that's another reason.
    No current sprint phone has carrier aggregation. And that variant of the Moto X is triband capable. These are two different things.
    Ali Fazel likes this.
    09-18-2014 06:16 PM
    [TWEET]512272654032965633[/TWEET]

Moto and Sprint both seem to think it's a no...
    Ry likes this.
    09-19-2014 12:15 PM
    https://twitter.com/Nolan_Bonnie11/s...89468909625344

https://twitter.com/sprintcare/statu...20169277124608

09-19-2014 12:47 PM
    Motorola probably didn't want to do Spark.
    09-19-2014 12:48 PM
    Motorola probably didn't want to do Spark.
    AKA meaning just one more flavor to support. Its a small crowd and I don't blame them. Sprint's network is all over the place.
    ttriplett1 likes this.
    09-19-2014 01:03 PM
    Sprint's network is all over the place.
    And yet it's nowhere at the same time... Guess I'm holding out hope for Nexus X compatibility.
    cgardnervt likes this.
    09-19-2014 01:35 PM
    One of my friends family members who works at Motorola asked about this and was told that Sprint was not interested in the new Moto X. Obviously, even when you work at a company information can be incorrect (perhaps an executive shifted blame to Sprint when it was actually Motorola), but this at least gives us a direction to push on if we really wanted to change this.

So I propose that we start a campaign towards Sprint to change their mind. What do you guys think?
    09-19-2014 01:58 PM
    So I propose that we start a campaign towards Sprint to change their mind. What do you guys think?
    If Sprint wants to keep trotting towards irrelevance, I have no inclination to stop them.
    cgardnervt likes this.
    09-19-2014 02:02 PM
    Maybe this gives some clarity?

imgur: the simple image sharer
    cgardnervt and Aquila like this.
    09-20-2014 12:11 AM
    Let me start if by apologizing if my venting offends anyone. But that's all I'm doing. Flame away if you want. My 1st Gen X is the best phone I have ever owned, but I have serious doubts about where Motorola is heading.

My disappointment with Motorola stems from two things that happened this week. First, it was announced that Sprint will not carry the new Moto X. I am on sprint and yes I am mad. My wife's side of the contract doesn't run out for 18 months so it looks like if I want a new X it will have to be a third gen if sprint carries it or when we are free to switch carriers. I know 1st world problems etc, but hear me out. I hear some cackling about going to t mobile to get our contracts bought out. The problem with that is to qualify you have to buy new phones FROM tmobile--and they won't be carrying the new X! Buying a Moto maker pure version won't qualify--it doesn't come from t-mobile. So this is my first point--the new X won't be sold in 2 of the 4 major US carrier's stores. That's a problem, and I'll come back to this in a bit.

Yesterday while it friend and I where out for lunch we decided to stop somewhere to check out the iphone 6. (not impressed by the way, the 6 has a decidedly bigger form factor than my 1st Gen for the same screen size but I digress.) an at&t store was most convenient and we ran in for a look. I was hoping to see at least a poster (if not a display) for the new X. And what do I see? Zip, zilch, nada. Not even an example of a 1st Gen was to be had. In fact one would have no idea Motorola still sold phones by looking in that store. LG, HTC, Samsung all had displays. Heck the stupid Fire phone had a big display! Not one thing from Moto.

Do you know what yesterday was? Without question the busiest day of the year for carrier stores. I'm not going estimate how many people went into a carrier store yesterday but it had to be a LOT. And what's more a lot of those people are in the market for a new phone. Yes, a majority were probably going to get the iPhone regardless. But there was some portion who walked in curious about the 6 but undecided. Some of those probably compared to other phones in the store. A very small portion maybe bought something other than the 6. Importantly, for a large portion of those people the idea of a non-iphone was planted. If the took the time to compare, no doubt many were impressed by what LG or HTC had to offer. None, at least at the store I was at or at any sprint or t-mobile was impressed by what Motorola had to offer. Hard to impress someone with no presence at all.

So why does this matter? My contention is that the vast majority of the smartphone buying public don't visit boards like ours or read online reviews. When they want a new phone they either go with what they know (apple or samsung) or they go to a carrier store or best buy and they talk to dales people and try out new phones. Thus if you are going capture a significant market share in the US, you have to have a a presence in most if not all carrier stores. Motorola isn't doing that and
    that does not bode well.

Motomaker is a great idea, it really is. But it's not a replacement for competent marketing. At best, right now the Moto X is a niche phone, like nexus. Niche phones aren't going to ever truly compete with Samsung and Apple. Google can afford to tread water or even lose money with the nexus line. As part of Lenovo, the Moto X cannot be a money loser. It will not survive. And if the Moto X goes, I believe that Motorola, as we know and love it, will go too. Overseas Motorola seems to be doing well and might be safe. But if Motorola cannot produce a profitable US flagship, you can expect Lenovo to pull Motorola out of the US market, and I wouldn't blame them.

If the 2nd Gen were available on sprint, I would be on Motomaker now. But if Motorola were still publicly traded I would be telling everyone I know to sell the stock. And that saddens me. I love what Motorola is producing but I think Motorola is marching into irrelevance.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-20-2014 02:50 PM
    I was at a Verizon store yesterday and Motorola products were front and center. Bigger than the iphone 6 display. Nothing about the new X, but a white X, black X, all types of droids. Sprint is dying a slow death anyhow and probably hates the Verizon Moto Droid exclusives.

Lenovo purchase can only help Moto. Lenovo is innovative and has strong marketing. I think moto is going to be just fine.

09-20-2014 03:14 PM
    There are displays nowhere as far as I know. Its not on sale anywhere (online preorders only). Sprint made a bad decision, I wouldn't lay that one at moto's feet... and you're describing T-Mobile making the same expected mistake two years in a row. Again, Motorola has no control over carriers deciding not to carry their products... they even said they'd preferred to be in as many channels as possible. I have seen three separate television ads for this preordeable device which is better than what we started with last year by far. I don't want to trivialize your frustrations at all - I just think you're pointing them at the wrong companies. I wouldn't be surprised to see sprint reverse course.... Given the fact that moto made a version specifically for them. If they do not, I couldn't blame moto for never wasting another penny on that sinking disaster ship. That's millions in expenses and opportunity cost that they're stealing (my opinion) from moto.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.
    09-20-2014 03:15 PM
    You could buy an iPhone from t mobile to qualify for the etf reimbursement, not open it, and sell it on Swappa for basically what you paid for it.

honkey haze and Aquila like this.
    09-20-2014 03:44 PM
    Maybe this gives some clarity?

imgur: the simple image sharer
    He's on his way out.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    09-20-2014 04:08 PM
    i think all of those are valid concerns. i just want to point out that:
    moto sold more than ten million phones since the release of the og moto x. the apps that are shared by the x, g, e, and droids are sitting at 10 - 50 million downloads. so i don't think that changes from lenovo are going to be drastic. moto is headed up, not down.
    the x did not sell well at all. we all know that. if sprint does not carry the x then i really cannot blame them.
    last years tmobile x was never sold in the store... so no changes there.
    if this years x sells well... then you better beleive the other carriers will be wanting a piece of the action. but you also have to take into account that there are an awful lot of stores. and companies like sprint and tmobile may not be able to afford/take a chance on the amount of phones it would take to stock each and every store. not to mention have enough on hand to immediately replenish stock, and sell them online. moto very well could, and probably does, have a minimum order.
    and last... the new moto has not been officially released on att yet. so displays and signage are not something that i expect to see yet. what i would like to know though..... is what in the heck happened to all of those backs and button accents from the old moto displays? i sure would have loved to have ended up with a full set.
    09-20-2014 04:22 PM
    No offense guys, but some of you are missing my point. Yes I could Swappa a t-mobile iPhone and make out Ok, but that's not the point - - I shouldn't have to resort to something like that. Motorola should be willing to give in a little to the carriers to get the maximum exposure for the X and they aren't doing that. I mean somehow Motorola seems to get along with the most oppressive of the carriers, Verizon, but it can't get along w sprint or t-mobile the weakest?

Sure t-mobile didn't have the Moto X last year; but who wants to argue that the 1st Gen was the resounding success we all wanted it to? I personally have only seen one other X in the wild in the 13 months since it's original release. Is that what we want Motorola to repeat?

Let me be clear, I would have no problem with the X being a hidden gem niche phone if I thought that could be sustained. Under Google that would have been possible. I'm sounding the warning bell because I think it can't. Google has the cash, moxie, and relationships with the carriers to ensure the Moto X is supported. Lenovo has only (perhaps) one of those three things. And that's how it works. How else can we explain why the biggest flop in recent memory (fire phone) still has prominent display in stores?

As amazon has painfully learned the days of the exclusive carrier is over. Motorola, without Google doesn't hold a candle compared to Apple or Samsung when it comes to negotiation power, in other words Motorola is in no position to play hard to get w sprint or t-mobile.

As I said while Motorola may be successful over seas, Lenovo won't be in a mood to tolerate losing money in North America for long.

09-20-2014 06:46 PM
    No offense guys, but some of you are missing my point. Yes I could Swappa a t-mobile iPhone and make out Ok, but that's not the point - - I shouldn't have to resort to something like that. Motorola should be willing to give in a little to the carriers to get the maximum exposure for the X and they aren't doing that. I mean somehow Motorola seems to get along with the most oppressive of the carriers, Verizon, but it can't get along w sprint or t-mobile the weakest?

Sure t-mobile didn't have the Moto X last year; but who wants to argue that the 1st Gen was the resounding success we all wanted it to? I personally have only seen one other X in the wild in the 13 months since it's original release. Is that what we want Motorola to repeat?

Let me be clear, I would have no problem with the X being a hidden gem niche phone if I thought that could be sustained. Under Google that would have been possible. I'm sounding the warning bell because I think it can't. Google has the cash, moxie, and relationships with the carriers to ensure the Moto X is supported. Lenovo has only (perhaps) one of those three things. And that's how it works. How else can we explain why the biggest flop in recent memory (fire phone) still has prominent display in stores?

As amazon has painfully learned the days of the exclusive carrier is over. Motorola, without Google doesn't hold a candle compared to Apple or Samsung when it comes to negotiation power, in other words Motorola is in no position to play hard to get w sprint or t-mobile.

As I said while Motorola may be successful over seas, Lenovo won't be in a mood to tolerate losing money in North America for long.

That's where I'm getting confused. Moto seems to be saying they want to be everywhere and Sprint said no... what makes you think it is not Sprint making the call?

09-20-2014 07:10 PM
    I think you should take a look at Lenovo's history in North America. 10(approx) years ago, they had no business here, then bought the pc division of IBM and have just recently become the #1 seller/maker of pc's in North America, and the world. The PC division of IBM was suffering and Lenovo turned it around very quickly. They will do the same with Motorola. Moto has the brand recognition in cellular and Lenovo has the cash and innovation.

Lenovo is already the world's #4 smartphone manufacturer and they will take the Moto stuff and jam it into their China market, which is the single largest smartphone market in the world. My guess is they will also start selling cellular tablets and laptops via US carriers at some point soon and in 5 years will have a significant share of the US cellular device market - giving them that status with the big carriers in the US. They are in it long term. It will only be good news going forward for Motorola.

09-20-2014 07:10 PM
    That's where I'm getting confused. Moto seems to be saying they want to be everywhere and Sprint said no... what makes you think it is not Sprint making the call?

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter who is saying no. If Sprint isn't accepting Motorola's current terms then Motorola needs to sweeten the offer. Same goes for t-mobile. If it is serious about getting the Moto X out there in the public' eye Motorola's going to have to open up the pocket book. No two ways about it.

09-20-2014 07:30 PM
57 123