Does the lack of LTE Bands on the Moto X Pure Edition bother you?

BiggAW

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Edition - LTE Bands

So it's looking like Burlington VT will not have lte with this device. Sad in a way. Heh. Providing the information is true.

Sent From My Nexus 7

Correct. At least in Northwest Lower, they own B4 spectrum, so they will eventually have patchy LTE coverage on non-B5 devices. Up in VT, it doesn't look like they have any B4 spectrum, so it will be B5, with B2 unlikely for a while since they probably activated more B2 HSPA+ to make up for the loss of B5 HSPA+ when rolling out LTE...

I don't know about the rest of VT, but I am guessing they have some other areas that are in a similar situation, and with VT being relatively rural, low band is far more important than capacity...

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

So the qa3 has to be Sprint, if they switched B17 to B12 and added B3, it would be a universal except Verizon model. None of those list B3, which is curious, since the XT1097 supposedly has B3. The qa4 makes no sense, since the qa1 would serve the same purpose. Yeah, there is a lot that smells here...

There is no Sprint version of the new Moto X. Confirmed by both Sprint and Motorola via Twitter. I don't think Moto would have built a phone for Sprint without a contractual agreement in place first.

jbern8

May 24, 2010
Visit site
There is no Sprint version of the new Moto X. Confirmed by both Sprint and Motorola via Twitter. I don't think Moto would have built a phone for Sprint without a contractual agreement in place first.

Long before a production model of a phone is build, the prototypes of every single unique radio configuration needs to go through FCC certification. This qa3 looks like it was designed for a post sprint/T-Mobile merger that never happened, there is no time to design and recertify a t-mobile only or a sprint only device, and if a device for either of these carriers is released it will be the qa3 with radios turned off. Chances are negotiations broke down last minute and Motorola is stuck with a batch of the qa3, and is using it too, besides the qa1 (until the stock is depleted) for the pure edition. That would explain the 2/4/17, the bands the qa1 and qa3 have in common. Either way, this is all speculation, and we will know as soon as the first pure edition devices are delivered.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Well when I get my Moto X I will report back. Its all in question at this point anyways.

But the 16gig space + LTE (Lower bands) is NOT as important to me as the 32gig model + Faster updates and I get the most common LTE lands for traveling. So I will be happy either way.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

With my testing VIA that you it looks like Burlington is getting Band 2. So I might be OK!

BiggAW

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

Long before a production model of a phone is build, the prototypes of every single unique radio configuration needs to go through FCC certification. This qa3 looks like it was designed for a post sprint/T-Mobile merger that never happened, there is no time to design and recertify a t-mobile only or a sprint only device, and if a device for either of these carriers is released it will be the qa3 with radios turned off. Chances are negotiations broke down last minute and Motorola is stuck with a batch of the qa3, and is using it too, besides the qa1 (until the stock is depleted) for the pure edition. That would explain the 2/4/17, the bands the qa1 and qa3 have in common. Either way, this is all speculation, and we will know as soon as the first pure edition devices are delivered.

That's a really interesting hypothesis. The question then is why don't they dump them as branded T-Mo devices and make the Pure Edition fully compatible with AT&T.

With my testing VIA that you it looks like Burlington is getting Band 2. So I might be OK!

B2 is high frequency, so you'll likely end up on HSPA+ a lot. Any phone without B5 is a terrible choice for anyone living in VT or the upper 3/4 of MI.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

That's a really interesting hypothesis. The question then is why don't they dump them as branded T-Mo devices and make the Pure Edition fully compatible with AT&T.

May be true however LTE is not the end all for me. The 32 gig is more important. Plus right now I will test the phone out to see how much LTE coverage I get.

B2 is high frequency, so you'll likely end up on HSPA+ a lot. Any phone without B5 is a terrible choice for anyone living in VT or the upper 3/4 of MI.

BiggAW

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

May be true however LTE is not the end all for me. The 32 gig is more important. Plus right now I will test the phone out to see how much LTE coverage I get.

LTE should be the end all in a B5 area, because in a B5 area they have already taken a 5x5 away from HSPA+ and moved it over to LTE, leaving only one HSPA+ carrier on the low band, and the HSPA+ will be more loaded due to B4/17 LTE phones that are on HSPA+. I had a very mediocre experience with HSPA+ in a B5 LTE area in Northwest Lower this past summer.

monofurioso

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

Man, I just saw this thread. If I'd known the 'Pure' edition was skimpy on AT&T LTE bands, I would've picked up the AT&T variant. Wonder if there's any way to change my order at this point...

BiggAW

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

Man, I just saw this thread. If I'd known the 'Pure' edition was skimpy on AT&T LTE bands, I would've picked up the AT&T variant. Wonder if there's any way to change my order at this point...

Return the thing. They mislead you, and that shouldn't be your problem.

diablo9

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

This has my concern, as I've already ordered.............y'all think I should cancel?

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Being in NYC, I guess I'll be okay with the Pure Edition. Guess I'll have to watch my reception when I travel around the US though.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

This has my concern, as I've already ordered.............y'all think I should cancel?

NO...GO get some real world experience with the device. If it sucks then send it back. Clearly you have the money to be able to do this. My bet is even in VT things will be just fine. If not then the device will be returned. Then I will wait for another device that fits my needs. People jump the gun far the early! Its not even at your door step yet....

monofurioso

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

I work in NYC, and live just outside the city. I don't anticipate any major problems, but I'm giving the phone a short leash once it arrives. If it doesn't equal my current LTE phone's coverage and speeds, it's going right back.

Moto really should've put hardware differences between Pure + AT&T models front and center when offering model choices in their shop. I thought it was just branding and bloatware I'd be missing, not LTE bands.

Last edited:

Gaurav

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
So can anyone comment on the use of the Pure edition Moto X as a world phone? One of the main reasons I currently have a Nexus 5 is that is supports a lot of international bands. I travel often and like the fact I can pop in a sim when traveling abroad and use my N5 no problem. With the limited bands on the Pure edition, would you still recommend this phone or should I just wait for the Nexus 6? thanks...

jbern8

May 24, 2010
Visit site
So can anyone comment on the use of the Pure edition Moto X as a world phone? One of the main reasons I currently have a Nexus 5 is that is supports a lot of international bands. I travel often and like the fact I can pop in a sim when traveling abroad and use my N5 no problem. With the limited bands on the Pure edition, would you still recommend this phone or should I just wait for the Nexus 6? thanks...

3g you should be fine. As for LTE according to what's listed on moto website you won't have any at all.

Gaurav

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
3g you should be fine. As for LTE according to what's listed on moto website you won't have any at all.

That's what I thought. :/ Thats too bad! I really want to like a Moto X but I think I'll wait to see how the N6 is now...