Moto X 2014 Hands On - Just to Big...

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Went to verizon and checked out the new X today, really wanting to like it. It's just too big. I think they could have made the screen a little bigger, maybe 4.8-5", and shrunk the bezels a bit, and not changed the size of the phone much. I would prefer an updated 4.7" phone over the current size. O well, clearly a minority.

SandmanATHF

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hands On - Just to Big...

Maybe wait till the droid the turbo comes out next month. Verizon phone that is supposed to be a beast. Rumor has it that it will be a smaller screened phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Will moto voice, actions, touchless controls, all work on the turbo or is it ask only on the X? (if you know)
I understand from some that have Droid maxxs and what not do have some features.
Would be great to have all moto x features on turbo

Posted via Android Central App

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Maybe wait till the droid the turbo comes out next month. Verizon phone that is supposed to be a beast. Rumor has it that it will be a smaller screened phone.

Turbo is 5.2 inch phone as well look at the pictures next to last years maxx

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Will moto voice, actions, touchless controls, all work on the turbo or is it ask only on the X? (if you know)
I understand from some that have Droid maxxs and what not do have some features.
Would be great to have all moto x features on turbo

Yes it will have all moto apps plus some more features .. Last years droid maxx had all the moto features plus droid zap

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Eli, It would have been nice if they crammed the new X's internals in the similar frame as the OG X. The choice for a nicely equipped less than 5" screen is very limited. It also would have been nice if Moto offered the new X in 2 sizes, similar to iPhone. And to top it off, my local VZW didn't have a demo nor any in stock as of last night so I haven't seen or held one yet.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

It also would have been nice if Moto offered the new X in 2 sizes, similar to iPhone.

I would have liked to see two sizes, since the smaller size appeals to me more, but in the real world I guess the bigger screens sell more. Still I do miss the smaller size of the OG X. If I were an iPhone fan I would have chosen the smaller one for sure, but I am probably the exception.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Problem is even the iphone w/ a 4.7" screen is as big as the new Moto X. The Turbo will have better specs, but will be at least as big, if not a little bigger then the X. Now if they do a Droid Mini with the turbo specs, I will be all over that (though I will miss having a MAXX size battery). Right now I am waiting to see if the Z3 compact really does come to verizon.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I ordered a z3c. It really does seem like an all around top notch phone at a great size. We shall see

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately AMOLED screens in cannot be had in 1080p under 5 inches. A 4.7 inch AMOLED screen would mean 720p, and a 720p screen on this phone in this year's market would be a death sentence for sales. LCD's not an option, it can't do Moto Display. They kinda got backed into a corner; they had no other choice but to bump the size. I too hoped we would see another 4.7 inch. I had the One X and I love that size.

C'est la vie... spec-hungry consumers demand Bigger Numbers in every area of the device. Don't you know Bigger Numbers are always better? We're living in the future, bro. /s :-\

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure what resolution can be had at what size, but I don't think we need more then 720 at less then 5" either, so it doesn't really matter to me.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure what resolution can be had at what size, but I don't think we need more then 720 at less then 5" either, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Those of us here know the value the Moto X offers. But most consumers would look at the 4.7“ 720p spec and say "That's what I want but I'm not paying $500 for it when I can get [insert 1080p phone here] for $___."... Even though they really don't want to buy the bigger phone.

Sent from my Moto X

nonstopski

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

I felt the same way at the VZW store but it was so hard to get a grip on the phone with the security cord/contraption on the back of it. I have had 6 iphones, so im used to a much skinnier body. The hight doesn't bother me so much as the width does, which in turn limits how high I can get my finger or thumb.

I ordered the phone anyways though, because I think with adjustment I'll be happy with it. I think. :D

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I felt the same way at the VZW store but it was so hard to get a grip on the phone with the security cord/contraption on the back of it. I have had 6 iphones, so im used to a much skinnier body. The hight doesn't bother me so much as the width does, which in turn limits how high I can get my finger or thumb.

I ordered the phone anyways though, because I think with adjustment I'll be happy with it. I think. :D

I hate those security cords. My verizon store had the device attached to the SCREEN of the bamboo model so you could check out the wood back! It also let you feel pretty closely what it's like to hold untethered.

I thought it felt surprisingly good in hand. But with the security thing on the front I didn't try to test one-handed operation limits.

Sent from my Moto X

nonstopski

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

I hate those security cords. My verizon store had the device attached to the SCREEN of the bamboo model so you could check out the wood back! It also let you feel pretty closely what it's like to hold untethered.

I thought it felt surprisingly good in hand. But with the security thing on the front I didn't try to test one-handed operation limits.

Sent from my Moto X

LOL. I think I would have preferred it on the front honestly. At least then I could hold it :D. Or maybe they need two versions. Of course, right next to me were 2 iphones with 10 people around them (and I say this as a current iphone user).

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

LOL. I think I would have preferred it on the front honestly. At least then I could hold it :D. Or maybe they need two versions. Of course, right next to me were 2 iphones with 10 people around them (and I say this as a current iphone user).

Yeah, they had the black plastic model next to it tethered the usual way that you could play with the screen on. That was helpful to have them tethered in opposite ways.

The iPhone display was adjacent but not crowded. But I overheard people talking to reps about iPhone without going over to look at them.

Sent from my Moto X

jbyinc

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Went to verizon and checked out the new X today, really wanting to like it. It's just too big. I think they could have made the screen a little bigger, maybe 4.8-5", and shrunk the bezels a bit, and not changed the size of the phone much. I would prefer an updated 4.7" phone over the current size. O well, clearly a minority.

Wow! I would simply say maybe you like smaller phones. I also stopped by Verizon this weekend to check out the Moto X 2014 and they had it side by side with the 1st gen. I 100% absolutely love the Moto X 2014. Size is perfect for me. I have big hands and one reason I have been staying away form the Note series is it seems they are getting a bit too big.

As the saying goes, one man's meat is another man's poison! :D

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Motorola needs to make a bigger screen 1080 phone to stay competitive. Look at all the corewhores who buy Samsungs and LGs simply based on specs. Lots and lots and lots of people don't look at a phone and value it beyond the spec sheet. That's one of the things that hurt the original Moto X. Motorola has to appeal to the demands of the market a bit more if they want to gain traction with their phones.

It's sad--last year's Moto X was a fantastic phone--but it's true.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

You're not a minority and don't have to feel bad about it being too big for you. There is a very simple fact about smart phone screen sizes that most people don't understand: WE VARY IN SIZE. Yes, it's that simple. I'm 1.88m and my hands are probably about 20% bigger than yours. For me that screen size is perfect, maybe a bit on the small side. There are many smaller phones out there for smaller people or bigger people who just, well, like smaller phones. Get used to the idea of customizing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney