Buy Moto X now or wait for Nexus 6?

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I know the Moto X is a really great phone, but I don't know wether I should wait for the new Nexus 6 that MIGHT come in a 5.2 inch screen variant, MIGHT work on Verizon, and MIGHT cost $150 on contract. As you can see, that's a few mights. Should I go with something certain and save time, or be overly hopeful and wait a month?

Curtendz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Man I was having this issue a while ago between the upcoming nexus and the M8. I've pretty much given up on the nexus coming in 5.2 so now I'm torn between the M8 and the Moto X. I went to check one out today and was pleasantly surprised. Really nice phone and I'm leaning that way at the moment.

Posted via Android Central App

juankdg

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I know the Moto X is a really great phone, but I don't know wether I should wait for the new Nexus 6 that MIGHT come in a 5.2 inch screen variant, MIGHT work on Verizon, and MIGHT cost $150 on contract. As you can see, that's a few mights. Should I go with something certain and save time, or be overly hopeful and wait a month?

I was having that exact same dilemma but I finally decided yesterday, and I got the Moto X. I really like Moto voice and Moto maker, beside that I don't think I could get along with a 6 inch device if the rumors are true. I was a little worried about battery life, but seeing reports that "L" will increase battery life significantly, I took the risk.

Posted via the Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
There will always be better phones. Technology is in a constant movement forward. The Motorola X is a fantastic phone. Its got good power, and it will most likely do anything you ask it to do, whether it be games, social networking, or browsing the web! I'd say try the phone out to see if it suites you first before buying. I'm sure the Moto X will be supported for quite a while, and the developer community backing it won't leave you hanging either. Waiting for the Nexus 6 is up to you, but in the event that you decide to go for the Moto X, you'll be happy.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm giving Google six weeks to come clean on what's happening with the Nexus line w/r/t a new 5-5.2" phone. No interest in a 6" whale. Six weeks also gives some time to get real world user impression on this Moto.

...adding, really having a hard time fighting the 'I want this new Moto right now' craving.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
There are benchmarks for a 5.2" phone, but photos and a hands-on for a 6" thing. I don't think we know for sure what's going on yet.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
That Nexus looks ridiculous. No way I'm going for a phone that big, especially when I have an 8" tablet!

If anything, I'm hoping the rumored Nexus 9 does something USEFUL with Android L instead of just being blown up.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like you basically described the Droid Turbo. One question for you: do you absolutely need a new phone now? If so, go pick up the Moto X. If not, sit tight and wait for either the Turbo or a possible smaller Nexus 6 than what we've heard about so far. Then make your choice. As wizzrah said, a better phone is always around the corner, it just depends on what your needs are now.

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the Nexus 5 and while I think its a great phone the poor build quality is really disappointing and for that reason I would like to stay away from the Nexus line of phones that's why I went with the Moto X because I had the original moto x and it's build quality was amazing.

Also, having a six inch screen for Nexus 6 seems way too big for me. Still, even if I figure out that I would like to switch to it eventually I could always sell my Moto X and buy the 6.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you plan to use Moto Maker, it's back ordered for a few weeks anyway (last I tried), so might as well wait and see what the new Nexus brings. Plus, those camera and battery results have me wary of the Moto X.

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
One thing I wish the new moto x had is wireless charging.

I hate plugging in my phone.... I'm always making wireless docks like this one.

On the left is for my LG G Watch and on the right is for my nexus 5

Attachments

• 20045.jpg
    20045.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 114

Thurmojo

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for three days and so far so good. The battery life is better than my Nexus 5 had been and I enjoy the Moto software. Camera does fine for my needs. I have no complaints. Sure no wireless charging kinda sucks but is in no way a deal breaker for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

colorado_scott

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I too wanted the moto x. I read poor battery, poor display outside, poor camera, no sd card. Tell me why you want this phone. I'd like someone to convince me.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I too wanted the moto x. I read poor battery, poor display outside, poor camera, no sd card. Tell me why you want this phone. I'd like someone to convince me.

If all the reviews out there about how it's a great experience don't convince you, then you're not going to buy it anyway. Go and spend $100-$250 more on another phone.

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. I wasn't expecting so many people to help out. I'll probably go with the moto x in a week or two. I only need it to last a year anyways, because if Google succeeds with their modular phone project, I'll be buying one of those.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I can pretty much guarantee you that the next nexus won't have any cool brand-specific features on it and will be just basic vanilla android that gets OS updates maybe 3-4 weeks ahead of the X and costs a couple hundred less. In other words, same as usual, you get what you pay for.

cbsevenfifty

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I was in this same debate. I don't upgrade my phones very often, in fact the phone I have now is going on 5 years old (HTC Aria), so I wanted something that was as close to as good as you can get currently without breaking the bank. I finally ordered a Moto X because all of the rumors are pointing at a 5.9" Nexus and that's ridiculous to me. However, I ordered a white front on my X so my delivery date isn't until Oct 22nd, which is around the time the Nexus is rumored to be released. So if the Nexus is indeed a 5.2" phone then I'll still be able to return my X before being locked into the upgrade and possibly grab the Nexus, if that's what I want after messing around with the X for a bit.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
You can't wait a couple of months? Get a grip. Wait for the news, then buy a phone. I'm sure the phone you have is perfectly adequate. You should be able to hold out for another 2 months.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane