Moto X 2014 is tough?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: X is tough?

I think overall it's as tough as the original X, especially more durable for side impacts obviously. But the front glass should shatter more easily because it curves back and doesn't have the protrusion on top and bottom like the original X to raise it. Actually it does, the earpieace and speaker grills protrude higher than the glass surface of the phone, this will help prevent the glass cracking, but only in specific and lucky scenario, perfectly face down on a completely flat surface. Also it help the screen not scratch if you put the phone face down.

Even if you don't use a case, tempered glass screen protector is a must.

Last edited:

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site

It's not the bending I ever worry about its the front glass shattering of it ever falls.

Posted via the Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

It's not the bending I ever worry about its the front glass shattering of it ever falls.

Posted via the Android Central App
All of new phones use Gorilla Glass 3 or something of the like, they all shatter from falls. My recommendation is to use tempered glass screen protector.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure that if you drop it the right way it can break. They are not indestructible.

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

It might not break if you drop the X completely face down on a completely flat surface, since the speaker grills are protruding by a millimeter to protector the screen, but if it fell on an angle or on a rough surface, it will crack.

geecka

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

It might not break if you drop the X completely face down on a completely flat surface, since the speaker grills are protruding by a millimeter to protector the screen, but if it fell on an angle or on a rough surface, it will crack.

I can confirm this. Husband just dropped his, and it hit the ceramic tile on an angle an the corner shattered. He had a tempered glass screen cover on it and the used area of the screen is fine. (How he managed to not shatter an all-glass, not-in-case- iphone 4s for two years, I'll never know.) Phone is still definitely usable; we'll send it to Square Trade after mine arrives so he can take the POS SG3...