Moto X 2014 Unlocked vs. Contract

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if someone could articulate the differences between the GSM Unlocked version ($550) of the Moto X 2014 versus the 2-year contract version ($150). I could afford to go either way, and it seems silly to spend $400 extra just to avoid AT&T apps that I can disable anyway. Not being locked in to a contract for two years has some value too, obviously...

Is there another good reason to pay $400 extra for the unlocked version?

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Unlocked vs. Contract

If you don't mind staying on a contract and having a carrier-branded phone that's locked, then no, there is no point to pay the extra money.

Though, doesn't AT&T charge you less per month when you're off contract?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't think you can disable the AT&T Contacts app.

cbsevenfifty

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

If you don't mind staying on a contract and having a carrier-branded phone that's locked, then no, there is no point to pay the extra money.

Though, doesn't AT&T charge you less per month when you're off contract?

Yes. $15 less or $360 over the life of the contract, so there's really no difference in the price of the phone.

I went with a contract. I'd only pay full price for the "pure" edition, but 30mb's of bloat from AT&T isn't enough to make me throw out another $400 upfront.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Don't forget with a GSM unlocked version you can travel globally and pickup a local sim for all your cellular needs. At least for AT&T they will not unlock your phone until you've satisfied your contract or pay an ETF. Roaming on a domestic plan is $$$$ when traveling and using your phone.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

I like to upgrade my phone every year so I just alternate between buying on contract and off contract and I just sell my phones on Swappa every time I get a new one. I always keep the original box and charger and sell my accessories as well, and I usually get about $200 when I sell my old phone. I bought last year's Moto X when they did a promotion during Cyber Monday, and when I buy on contract, I usually wait until Amazon/Best Buy/Verizon has a promotion where I can get the phone for $50 or so. It doesn't really cost that much to do it this way, and I always have a current-gen flagship device. I'm going to see if the new Moto X goes on sale during the holiday season and buy it then.

cbsevenfifty

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Don't forget with a GSM unlocked version you can travel globally and pickup a local sim for all your cellular needs. At least for AT&T they will not unlock your phone until you've satisfied your contract or pay an ETF. Roaming on a domestic plan is $$$$ when traveling and using your phone.

That's not really an issue any more since there is a law saying that they have to unlock the phone.

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Thanks everybody. I bought the unlocked Moto X 2014 today on the Motorola site. Estimated delivery October 9th. Very excited, as this will be my first Android device, ever. I also bought cords, an extra charger, and a case today (I didn't get wood or leather on the back, so my case doesn't need to allow me to show off the back).

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site

The main difference for me is the freedom to upgrade whenever you want without any stupid upgrade fees. Buy your phone, have them activate it. Contracts are nice but generally cost a little more and if you want to upgrade early, you're kinda screwed.

I got off contract in May and if I want to upgrade my X to the newer X, I just buy the phone and Verizon can stuff it.

Posted via Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The main difference for me is the freedom to upgrade whenever you want without any stupid upgrade fees. Buy your phone, have them activate it. Contracts are nice but generally cost a little more and if you want to upgrade early, you're kinda screwed.

I got off contract in May and if I want to upgrade my X to the newer X, I just buy the phone and Verizon can stuff it.

Posted via Android Central App

If you don't mind being locked into a contract it is almost always a better deal to buy the phone for $100 or whatever on a new contract then sell it later if you want to buy something else.

Verizon will give you a $499 moto x for $100 right now - they are paying you $399 to sign a 2 year contract

On EDGE Verizon will give you a $499 moto x for $299 ($499 in 20 payments,minutes 20 months at -$10/m on your plan) - they are paying you $200 to put your moto x on EDGE

Verizon does not do any discounts (AFAIK) for BYOD or after your contract expires, so if you buy a $499 moto x and bring it to verizon, it costs you $499

Even if you cancel your contract at 12 months and pay the ETF you're still better off having signed the contract for the cheap phone.

The only reason in the world to be off contract is if it makes you feel better to know you can go to another carrier any time you please - or to have a phone with no carrier branding/bloat.

Last edited:

slay65

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

That is true for VZW if you are on a data plan less then 10GB. If you are on a 10GB or greater plan the monthly discount is $25. So in that case they are "paying you" $600 to buy the phone outright which is a better deal. Personally I prefer buying my phones and saving the money on service. I am with Tmobile and they give you a large discount on service but you need to buy your phones.

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Moto X (2013) off contract to maintain AYCE data and a legacy calling plan I got about 6 years ago that's cheap and fits my needs.

Edit: It's a Verizon plan.
--
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.