New to Android / Moto X: setup advice?

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I finally took the plunge today and ordered an unlocked Moto X 2014, which will be delivered October 9th (or earlier, I hope). Since I have never had a Moto X, let alone an Android, do you guys have any recommendations for settings- like what to turn on or off, etc.? Or do you know of any web pages or YouTube videos which do a good job covering this? Sort of a "what to expect when you're expecting an Android / Moto X" type of thing?

Thanks! I'm really excited to dig into this great phone and new OS.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have your contacts in Gmail, do that now.

(or you could wait for Motorola Migrate when you get your device)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I finally took the plunge today and ordered an unlocked Moto X 2014, which will be delivered October 9th (or earlier, I hope). Since I have never had a Moto X, let alone an Android, do you guys have any recommendations for settings- like what to turn on or off, etc.? Or do you know of any web pages or YouTube videos which do a good job covering this? Sort of a "what to expect when you're expecting an Android / Moto X" type of thing?

Thanks! I'm really excited to dig into this great phone and new OS.

1. Make or login with a Google account.
2. Update system apps on Google Play / Adjust Google store settings... before selecting to update all make sure you are connected to a Wifi router. Also, you might want to go into the settings to "Require password for purchases" if you have kids.
3. Setup lock screen with security and contact info
4. Setup trusted Bluetooth device if you have one.
5. Setup Moto app to unlock new features.
6. If you are concerned about battery life, you might want to use an all black wallpaper.
7. You might want to check out some of the other launchers in the Play Store... I really like Nova.

Just a few things I could think of right now.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Let me add a question to the original, are we all factory resetting the device as we get them? Do we still do that? Simply a tip I was told to do also on my Transformer TF700 tablet.

Recommended/not needed?

Posted via Android Central App

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Get an automation app, like AutomateIt or Tasker. AutomateIt is easier and has a free version. Play with the automation triggers to maximize ease of use and battery life - especially like this one, to switch off mobile data when connected to wifi, for example, or maximizing screen brightness, disabling the screen lock and delaying the screen sleep time to 10 minutes when connected to a power source. I think the full version of AutomateIt is worth the money, but you may do well enough with just the free one. The full app allows you to use boolean operations without needing 'points' to unlock the feature. It's not expensive, just get it. You do not need root in order to use it but some things may require rooting. Truthfully, though, the X works well without needing to root. My OG X is not rooted.

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
1. Make or login with a Google account.
2. Update system apps on Google Play / Adjust Google store settings... before selecting to update all make sure you are connected to a Wifi router. Also, you might want to go into the settings to "Require password for purchases" if you have kids.
3. Setup lock screen with security and contact info
4. Setup trusted Bluetooth device if you have one.
5. Setup Moto app to unlock new features.
6. If you are concerned about battery life, you might want to use an all black wallpaper.
7. You might want to check out some of the other launchers in the Play Store... I really like Nova.

Just a few things I could think of right now.

I downloaded Nova, but when it prompted to load properties from the Google launcher, it wouldn't do it. I seemed to be stuck on that screen- it couldn't load the properties, and there was no option to just start again from scratch, so I had to disable it, which was disappointing because it was a waste of $4. I'm hoping it eventually gets updated so I can use it by loading the Google launcher properties. But for now, the more stock look is not bothering me at all. I just thought the Nova launcher might be a nice alternative to try.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
what do you mean by "load properties from google launcher"?

You either use one launcher or the other... just have to select which...

edit: did you download the Nova app or just Nova Prime? (you need to download both of them).

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded Nova, but when it prompted to load properties from the Google launcher, it wouldn't do it. I seemed to be stuck on that screen- it couldn't load the properties, and there was no option to just start again from scratch, so I had to disable it, which was disappointing because it was a waste of $4. I'm hoping it eventually gets updated so I can use it by loading the Google launcher properties. But for now, the more stock look is not bothering me at all. I just thought the Nova launcher might be a nice alternative to try.

First, I will agree with the comments by Troneas above... you need the Nova app, not just the Prime authorization, but also you did NOT need to pay for it to use Nova and be sure it works.

Additionally I would like to add... I'm not a programmer of Nova... as such I have no idea if they have tested this import process from Google's launcher that Motorola uses on the Moto X. And even if it does not work, you can use Nova without importing any of the settings from another launcher.

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
First, I will agree with the comments by Troneas above... you need the Nova app, not just the Prime authorization, but also you did NOT need to pay for it to use Nova and be sure it works.

Additionally I would like to add... I'm not a programmer of Nova... as such I have no idea if they have tested this import process from Google's launcher that Motorola uses on the Moto X. And even if it does not work, you can use Nova without importing any of the settings from another launcher.

First I get a screen that asks me to "Import from another launcher" or "restore from previous nova backup", so I choose to import from another launcher, and then I choose the Google launcher (the only one available) and then get this screen (I hope this shows up).

Screenshot_2014-10-07-10-55-43[1].jpg

This is what I'm seeing. It's literally taken over my whole phone- when I've given Nova rights as my launcher, I just can't get past this screen, so I have to disable just to go back to the stock launcher.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
If you don't have your contacts in Gmail, do that now.

(or you could wait for Motorola Migrate when you get your device)

+1 Million. I can't the number of times I have had to help friends, co-workers and family with transferring contacts. I have noticed that many smartphones (i have noticed this on many samsung phones with touchwiz) default to storing NEW contacts either onto the SIM or local storage. It's very important to save your contacts to your gmail account. You'll never have to worry about losing contacts again.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
+1 Million. I can't the number of times I have had to help friends, co-workers and family with transferring contacts. I have noticed that many smartphones (i have noticed this on many samsung phones with touchwiz) default to storing NEW contacts either onto the SIM or local storage. It's very important to save your contacts to your gmail account. You'll never have to worry about losing contacts again.

I'll second that. I've had all my contacts in Google for awhile now. Migrate is very handy, but if your contacts are in Google they should download automatically anyway. That's nice protection if you lose your phone or it is damaged and migrate can't be used. If I'm not mistaken on my 1st Gen X storing contacts locally and not on Google isn't even an option.

Posted via the Android Central App

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
First I get a screen that asks me to "Import from another launcher" or "restore from previous nova backup", so I choose to import from another launcher, and then I choose the Google launcher (the only one available) and then get this screen (I hope this shows up).

View attachment 140061

This is what I'm seeing. It's literally taken over my whole phone- when I've given Nova rights as my launcher, I just can't get past this screen, so I have to disable just to go back to the stock launcher.

All you had to do from the first screen was to delete both of those short-cuts, because the "Import from another launcher" and "restore from previous nova backup" are just short-cuts on the Nova Launcher screens... I forgot until now that is how the launcher starts, just hold down on the icon and drag it up to the remove... the launcher is right there.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Get an automation app, like AutomateIt or Tasker. AutomateIt is easier and has a free version. Play with the automation triggers to maximize ease of use and battery life - especially like this one, to switch off mobile data when connected to wifi, for example, or maximizing screen brightness, disabling the screen lock and delaying the screen sleep time to 10 minutes when connected to a power source. I think the full version of AutomateIt is worth the money, but you may do well enough with just the free one. The full app allows you to use boolean operations without needing 'points' to unlock the feature. It's not expensive, just get it. You do not need root in order to use it but some things may require rooting. Truthfully, though, the X works well without needing to root. My OG X is not rooted.

OP: If you're new to Android I'd hold off on trying these until you've gotten more comfortable with the system.

If you're having problems with Nova still I'd recommend contacting the developer. They might help you out.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234