Moto X 2013 vs 2014 touchless control responsiveness and accuracy?

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Can someone who has both devices comment on the speed and accuracy? I find that with my 2013 Moto X sometimes it will have a hard time understanding me even when I'm in a silent room and I am about 5 feet away I will have to raise my normal speaking voice. I like to leave my phone by bed side when I'm working and I will ask it some questions. Does the extra mic help pick up your voice better?

One thing I've never really been happy with is how long it takes for the phone to understand me. It has to take whatever I said and put it in google now and then it will search; that step in the middle slows things down a few seconds. Is the 2014 much more responsive? I need it to be if I am going to consider buying it.

tl;dr. Is the 2014 version much faster than the 2013 version when it comes to touchless control?

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I have both and the 2014 hears my unlock command from further away. I don't think it is any faster though at doing an operation. One thing I did notice for the first time this morning, I had the 2014 on the night stand charging next to the clock radio. I listen to NPR in the morning and for some crazy reason something from the broadcast woke up my phone, and the continued radio broadcast was assumed to be my PIN unlock numbers. The phone finally said something like you've used up all your PINs, please enter your unlock code manually. I know my customized voice unlock for Google Now was not spoken during the broadcast. :confused: :D

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have both and the 2014 hears my unlock command from further away. I don't think it is any faster though at doing an operation.

That's disappointing. I thought the 2014 X would at least perform faster. Maybe it didn't sound the same to you but it sounded the same to the X :(

Have you done a basic test like saying Ok Google Now about 10 times for both devices at the same time and seeing how many times it will fail for each?

I cannot wake up my 2013 X with my morning voice when I wake up :-X

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My wake up commands are different between the new and old Xs. I happen to have two 2014s here so I can set all three with the same wake up command (OK google now) and see if they do operations at the same time. Are there specific operations that you want me to test for time for completion?

StutterStep

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I suppose an example would be "Ok Google Now, set a reminder for tomorrow at 2pm to buy groceries" or "when do the seahawks play next?" at maybe 3 feet away and then 6 feet away. I don't really need a time for competition but I'm just wondering if there's any operation the 2014 does faster. Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta