Moto X 2014 Verizon upgrade and credit check thru MotoMaker

icee_man

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to perform an upgrade on my exisitng verizon line with a motomaker MotoX. During the check out process after I've verified myself by logging into my verizon account, it is asking for a credit check. I called Motorola and they told me that it won't affect me at all. It is something random. But yet when I'm looking at the fine print, it says that the information is forwarded onto Verizon to perform a credit check. Has any one had this issue?

Am i over re-acting to the fact that I am being asked for a credit check to extend my contract? I am about ready to just not purchase the phone. Motorola sure knows how to really drop the ball on phone releases and not being able to help out a customer.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon upgrade and credit check thru MotoMaker

I called Motorola and they told me that it won't affect me at all. It is something random. But yet when I'm looking at the fine print, it says that the information is forwarded onto Verizon to perform a credit check. Has any one had this issue?

I've heard it's soft credit check so it shouldn't show up on your report/effect your score in any way.

Posted via the Android Central App - Moto X (1st Gen.)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

If you're objecting to the credit check, can you buy it off contract?

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

If you're not a new customer than this makes no sense. Might not be Moto, may be more Verizon. Regardless, it's BS.

I'm still on the fence about buying the new X outright or under contract. I would save 400 by signing a new agreement, but, I also receive a $10/month discount for not being under contract. Over 24 months that's really only a net of $160.

icee_man

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Right now im at a point where I can't buy it outright. It could be a soft credit check, but I'm a bit leary about it.I'm just at the point to where I'm like just take my money, but why must you determine if i'm credit worthy enough to extend my contract? I just upgraded my wife thru amazon with no problems no credit checks what so ever. Moto says it's random...so I have no clue why this is. I was also told no way to over ride or manually order it thru customer service. I'm about to the point to where I'll just get an G3 and forget motorola all together.

icee_man

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Been with Verizon since 2003. Motorola says it's random and no way to over ride it in their system. I'm just wanting a nice custom phone to call my own. MY S3 crapped out a month ago and am needing a phone.

I just recently upgraded my wife thru Amazon wtih a Galaxy S5 and no nonsense upgrade. Entered in my verizon account info/pin # and away I went and her phone should be here Friday. But motorola...ohhh no...you want this phone you gotta jump thru hoops. I'm about ready to either just get a non custom version thru verizon or get a G3 from amazon.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I bought mine today on MotoMaker (verizon upgrade on my main line). I noticed the memo from Moto Maker that all activations for Verizon are processed through Best Buy which explains the credit check requirement. Normally Verizon doesn't require this for 2year contract upgrade phone purchases but Best Buy probably does as their standard process. When you get to the confirmation screen at the end it should confirm that you processed a phone "upgrade" rather than a "new line of service" through your Verizon account.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

If it is a soft inquiry then it doesn't hurt your credit at all. Some credit cards will pull your credit the same way multiple times a year with no problem. If you are worried you won't pass a credit check then not sure what to tell you. Verizon is about to loan you $500, they probably want to know if you're likely to pay them back.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I bought mine today on MotoMaker (verizon upgrade on my main line). I noticed the memo from Moto Maker that all activations for Verizon are processed through Best Buy which explains the credit check requirement. Normally Verizon doesn't require this for 2year contract upgrade phone purchases but Best Buy probably does as their standard process. When you get to the confirmation screen at the end it should confirm that you processed a phone "upgrade" rather than a "new line of service" through your Verizon account.

I'm guessing Best Buy is getting some sort of kickback for processing Verizon activation. It's probably to help keep Best Buy around for another year.

chipmoney

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

You can go to the store and pay for it there and you will receive a PIN to use in Motomaker. That way you can bypass the credit check. It is silly, good payment history with Verizon for 10+ years is a much better indicator than a credit check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer