On the Moto X 2014, which is better the Moto Launcher vs. Google Now Launcher?

Dominic Brant

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Moto X 2014 - Moto Launcher vs. Google Now Launcher

Hello AC Forums!
This is my first time posting on the forums, so I apologize in advance if I make any mistakes I'm not currently aware of.

Anyway, I just got a black 16 GB Moto X (2014) on Verizon today. First impressions: I love it! However, I do have one question that I know the fine folks here in the forums are willing to help me out on. Should I use the default, almost-stock Motorola launcher, or should I download the Google Now Launcher?
Now for the record, my main concern with the Google Now Launcher in comparison to the Moto launcher is battery life. Before I had a Galaxy S3, and once I tried the Google Now Launcher out a couple months ago, I noticed a decline in my battery life. NOTE: this could've been from the Google Search app always running, the fact that I had always listening for "OK Google" turned on, or just the fact that the phone was over 2 years old.
So my question for any of you who use the Moto X (this year's or last year's) or any Motorola phone for that matter is, does the Google Now Launcher harm battery life? And, do you guys have a preference? I know the difference between the two is minimal, but I thought I'd get some input from you all. Any and all answers appropriate to the question are greatly appreciated!

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: Moto X 2014 - Moto Launcher vs. Google Now Launcher

Glad your happy with your new phone. By default the 2014 X uses the Google Now launcher. This different than the 2013 X

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

you are already using the google now launcher.

it is the default in the moto x.

my preference?

Nova. Accept no substitutions.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

you are already using the google now launcher.

it is the default in the moto x.

my preference?

Nova. Accept no substitutions.

Are we sure it's the GEL? I thought that has Google Now to the left most screen. The demo Moto X in stores didn't have that.

And if it is the GEL, then it should show as installed in the Play Store, right?

Posted via Android Central App

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

People, it's not GEL. It's just motos standard launcher. If you want GEL, you have to dl it from the play store.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dominic Brant

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Are we sure it's the GEL? I thought that has Google Now to the left most screen. The demo Moto X in stores didn't have that.

And if it is the GEL, then it should show as installed in the Play Store, right?

Stang68 is right. While it is very similar to the Google Now Launcher, it does not have Google Now on the leftmost screen, nor is it shown as installed.

What I'm asking is, does switching to the Google Now Launcher make a difference on my battery life? Because if so, I don't se it as worth having Google Now as one of my homescreens.

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site

Apparently the VZW phones have the moto launcher but the at&t and PE phones come with GEL

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

People, it's not GEL. It's just motos standard launcher. If you want GEL, you have to dl it from the play store.

I can assure you mine has the Google launcher as default.

Moto X 2014 unlocked.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

I doubt it would affect battery life. You could always try and report back.
;)

f-castrillo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

My Moto Maker Verizon X (2014) did not have GEL installed, but rather the regular Moto launcher, styled to look mostly like GEL, minus the search area to the left. Launcher3, it's called.

I downloaded the GEL anyway

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've got the new Moto X on AT&T. It definitely came stock with the Google Launcher.
I wonder why Verizon doesn't?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-01-06-12-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-01-06-12-59.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 134

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I downloaded the nova launcher. It has the smaller icons and widgets. I didn't like the "launcher 3" my moto x came with at all

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

I downloaded the nova launcher. It has the smaller icons and widgets. I didn't like the "launcher 3" my moto x came with at all

Yeah, I plan on using my same Nova Launcher. So many options with it.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

A Moto X 2014 reviewer (who hopefully didn't know what she was talking about) said that Nova "broke" some of the Moto Apps functionality. Anyone notice any problems?

Sent from my Moto X

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

A Moto X 2014 reviewer (who hopefully didn't know what she was talking about) said that Nova "broke" some of the Moto Apps functionality. Anyone notice any problems?

Sent from my Moto X

Not yet, but I will keep an eye out for issues

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I can assure you mine has the Google launcher as default.

Moto X 2014 unlocked.

Not all Moto X 2014 variants come with Google Now Launcher installed, believe it or not.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Not all Moto X 2014 variants come with Google Now Launcher installed, believe it or not.

That makes no sense. Man, I'm so tired of carriers screwing with everything. I can't wait for mobile devices to go the way of computers. Where you can buy the device you want and use it on whatever service you want and no more incomprehensible carrier service plans.

Dominic Brant

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Well, I can't believe this sparked such a debate over which phones come with what ;). Thank you all for the input, I'm gonna use the Moto Launcher for now and switch to the Google Now Launcher in a few weeks and see which one I prefer.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I've got the new Moto X on AT&T. It definitely came stock with the Google Launcher.
I wonder why Verizon doesn't?

Mine too. It's the AT&T MotoX and it definitely has the Google Launcher.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

lol. "GEL" never existed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12