On the Moto X 2014, which is better the Moto Launcher vs. Google Now Launcher?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X 2014 - Moto Launcher vs. Google Now Launcher

My Moto Maker Verizon X (2014) did not have GEL installed, but rather the regular Moto launcher, styled to look mostly like GEL, minus the search area to the left. Launcher3, it's called.

I downloaded the GEL anyway

GEL doesn't exist.

GNL does.

Launcher3 is the current AOSP launcher. GNL is Google's closed-source launcher based on Launcher3. GNL just adds Google Now to the left.

lsulaker

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

My verizon came with Launcher 3, I installed the Google Now Launcher, but am a bit concerned with battery life. I have Location turned off of Google now though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

My verizon came with Launcher 3, I installed the Google Now Launcher, but am a bit concerned with battery life. I have Location turned off of Google now though.

Why not just stick to Launcher3?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't really see any battery issues with GNL, I get very good stand by time with the Moto X, only a few percentages at most overnight.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Though I did install the google now launcher I see nothing wrong with sticking with launcher3. I've actually switched back to it. I usually only have 1 home screen with 4 folders of key apps. Getting to google now with a swipe up of the home button is a OK to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

The Google Now Launcher should already be installed. I saw it on the Moto X in the Verizon Wireless store. Only thing is that they didn't have Google Now activated, so there wasn't any options to swipe to the Google Now cards to the left.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

The Google Now Launcher should already be installed. I saw it on the Moto X in the Verizon Wireless store. Only thing is that they didn't have Google Now activated, so there wasn't any options to swipe to the Google Now cards to the left.

I'm on Verizon, and although the default launcher appears to be the "Google Now Launcher", with the swipe left to Google Cards merely inactivated, I couldn't figure out how to Activate the Google Now screen on the launcher. So I downloaded "Google Now Launcher" from the Play Store, and when I hit "Home", it asked me to choose between "Launcher 3" and "Google Now Launcher". I assume the default launcher is actually called "Launcher 3".

If you can tell me how to activate the "Google Now" screen on "Launcher 3" that would be great - I couldn't figure it out - and given the name differentiation, I'm beginning to think that for some strange reason Verizon ordered the phone with a modified Google Launcher w/o the Google Now screen - and it is called "Launcher 3" :)

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

If you have GN active and don't have GN to the left then you must get the GNL from the play store.

Sent from my Moto X (2nd Generation) using Tapatalk

Uriel Galindo

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Is it normal that I had a software update on my moto g 2014 and when I did the update I was still on 4.4.4 but launcher3 had disappeared and now I'm forced to use the google now launcher?

Posted via the Android Central App

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Does "Caller ID by Google" work on the Pure X? I know I had it on my flashed HTC One M8 (to GPE).

That's a handy feature for stray calls.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca