Moto X 2014 Like there's a haze under the screen in bright light

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody else noticed this? When I'm outside in bright light, even when the light isn't directly shining on the display, it seems like internal reflections in the glass create a "haze" that makes the screen not only appear dimmer but also less contrasty. There is no such think on the iPhone 6 (which IMHO is an inferior phone in most other respects, just to clarify where I stand). Is that the difference between a non-laminated and laminated display? Still, I never had this issue on e.g., the Nexus 5, which also has a non-laminated display like the Moto X.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Like there's a haze under the screen in bright light

I haven't noticed a haze, but I have noticed that the 2014 Moto X is similar to the 2013 Moto X, in that the Auto brightness setting doesn't push the brightness to 100%, even when in full sun. Perhaps to save battery?

I've installed a brightness widget so that if I'm outside for an extended period, I can easily bump the brightness up to 100%.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Have you compared it to another X at a store? That's the first thing I would do to see if it's an isolated issue or or not. I did not notice this on the demo units @ my Verizon store.

Edit: It may be hard to take a demo phone outside but maybe an employee might have one.

Posted via the Android Central App

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

Has anybody else noticed this? When I'm outside in bright light, even when the light isn't directly shining on the display, it seems like internal reflections in the glass create a "haze" that makes the screen not only appear dimmer but also less contrasty. There is no such think on the iPhone 6 (which IMHO is an inferior phone in most other respects, just to clarify where I stand). Is that the difference between a non-laminated and laminated display? Still, I never had this issue on e.g., the Nexus 5, which also has a non-laminated display like the Moto X.

I've noticed what I'd call a very, very slight haze as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Same here. Bright sunlight and a dark theme (black background) in Pocket makes the app all but unusable outside.