Moto X Backs Peeling?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone experiencing "peeling" on the back of their custom Moto X's? There's been a few posts about that over at XDA and I'm just wondering if anyone here is experiencing that too.

Basically, it seems like the wood/leather is lifting a little, particularly with the edges.

In review photos/videos from online publications, I've noticed some "peeling" as well in some of the devices.

Anything of the sort here? Wondering.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I checked both teak and bamboo backed Xs and read the thread on xda. Neither backs are peeling nor popping up from the glue no adhering. I do notice on my phones that the bamboo back appears to be ever so slightly thicker than the teak back. How I determine this is if I run my fingers from the wood surface out to the metal trim, on the bamboo back it is a smooth transition and I can't feel the metal trim. On the teak back when my finger gets to the trim I can definitely feel the metal edge of the phone. In essence the bamboo back and trim are glued to the same height whereas the teak back is slightly lower and recessed beneath the metal trim.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I checked both teak and bamboo backed Xs and read the thread on xda. Neither backs are peeling nor popping up from the glue no adhering. I do notice on my phones that the bamboo back appears to be ever so slightly thicker than the teak back. How I determine this is if I run my fingers from the wood surface out to the metal trim, on the bamboo back it is a smooth transition and I can't feel the metal trim. On the teak back when my finger gets to the trim I can definitely feel the metal edge of the phone. In essence the bamboo back and trim are glued to the same height whereas the teak back is slightly lower and recessed beneath the metal trim.

This might vary from phone to phone as one of the aide edges of my bamboo is just as you described but the other side is slightly more recessed.

Not sure if this matters but just an FYI to those that don't know- only the bamboo is really real. All the others are wood but have been finished to look like the wood they are called. For example, the "walnut" is some other wood with a walnut finish.

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind you do have a 12 month warranty against defects. Unless it's falling off no need to stress right now. Hang on to it for a few months until sales settle down and you don't have to wait 4+ weeks for a replacement. Especially if you're using a case anyways.

Anyone know if moto will cross-ship replacements? If so then go ahead and call them now and get the replacement started.

Sparksnorth

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Yep, my wood back had lifted a little bit off the corner from the moment i took it out of the box. Already called motorola and they're sending me a new phone.

cbsevenfifty

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind you do have a 12 month warranty against defects. Unless it's falling off no need to stress right now. Hang on to it for a few months until sales settle down and you don't have to wait 4+ weeks for a replacement. Especially if you're using a case anyways.

Anyone know if moto will cross-ship replacements? If so then go ahead and call them now and get the replacement started.

Not sure how legit this is, but I had called to make changes to my phone but it was too late to do so. They told me to call once I received the phone and they would send me an email with a credit for a remodel. I then asked the guy if I remodeled the phone, would I have to send the phone I have back immediately or would the new phone be sent to me and then I would send the old one back. The guy answered with "No, no, no. The new phone will be sent to you and then you send the old one back." So I made sure to verify that I would not be without a phone for a certain period of time and he said, "Yes."

Now... take this info with a grain of salt, because this guy really had no idea about anything I was talking up leading to this conversation. I initially told him I wanted to change the preloaded wallpaper and the trim color of the phone. He put me on hold and came back and said, "I could change the wall paper by press and holding the wallpaper and choosing a different stock wallpaper loaded on the phone." Then he told me in regards to changing the trim color "I don't understand what you mean by changing the trim color." Really? You work for Motorola, this is the 2nd generation of being able to customize your phone and you don't know what it means to change the trim color on the phone???? After that whole mess, he told me that I could cancel the order, but when he tried to cancel the order he said it wasn't letting him, so he put me on hold again. When he came back he said, "I'm sorry. Let me correct myself. Your order has already been exported and we are no longer able to cancel the order."

This guy had no clue what he was talking about and had to confirm everything with a supervisor.

Sparksnorth

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I wholly disagree with Clocks post, as when I called in for my specific issue, she told me that it was a good thing that I called within 14-days of the products arrival otherwise it would'nt have been replaced. Don't delay.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I wholly disagree with Clocks post, as when I called in for my specific issue, she told me that it was a good thing that I called within 14-days of the products arrival otherwise it would'nt have been replaced. Don't delay.

14 days is the time you have to decide that you are unhappy with the design and you want to exchange it for a redesign.

If your back is defective then you should be able to get it repaired /replaced under warranty.

Of course, there's a risk that they could argue that the peeling was not due to normal wear and tear, but I expect that they would honor the warranty.

Sent from my Moto X

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Easier to comply with a minimum wage call center rep's made up rules than to go through the BBB or small claims court, but the warranty is pretty clear. And I'm not dissing on call center reps, I worked as one for 6 years and know first hand that you can walk down the row of desks and hear different and contradictory rules coming out of every rep's mouth. But the fact that they will cross-ship means you should contact them immediately.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...filename/Global Limited Warranty10-3-13-1.pdf

Motorola Mobility LLC ("Motorola") promises to the original purchaser ("you") that this Mobile Phone, and
any in-box accessories which accompany it (the "Products"), will be free of defects for a period of 12 months
from the date of original purchase ("Warranty Period") provided that the Products are used for normal
[consumer/end user] purposes (the "Limited Warranty").

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have one of the colored plastic backs (purple) and no peeling or defect of any kind on mine. I've had it exactly one week.

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry tangent - looking over at other XDA posts - they're still assembled in the US? (as said on the box) can those who have it confirm?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry tangent - looking over at other XDA posts - they're still assembled in the US? (as said on the box) can those who have it confirm?

Just got mine today, purchased through Moto Maker. The box does say "Assembled in USA" and it shipped from Fort Worth, Tx.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It seems like only the moto maker ones are assembled in the USA. My white bamboo one says assembled in (ugh) China.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It seems like only the moto maker ones are assembled in the USA. My white bamboo one says assembled in (ugh) China.

Really? Wow. My standard black non-maker X says 'Designed and Assembled in the USA' on the back. This is probably due to the Fort Worth Texas plant closing soon, if it still is.

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a leather back and have no problems since I received it on Sept 26th.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

cwmont13

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Same thing for me. Just picked up one for my Wife in White/Bamboo last Sunday at a local AT&T store. Made in China on the box. Fit and finish is excellent and the phone works perfectly so far. BTW the store had none on display and the salesman said they didn't have any. Showed him on my phone that the AT&T site said they were in Stock there. He went in the back and found one. Don't know why none were on display??

From the DeathStar using my rooted LG G2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance