Moto X Backs Peeling?

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
It seems like only the moto maker ones are assembled in the USA. My white bamboo one says assembled in (ugh) China.

Posted via the Android Central App

Don't all the parts come from China anyways? It's technically made it China even if it's assembled here (just like most products we buy). LOL

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i was just at my VZW store and they have a bamboo demo out. It's probably been there since they started carrying it. I noticed the top left corner was lifted slightly and I could press it down about 1/2 a millimeter and it would pop back. easily enough to get a fingernail in there and pull it up if you wanted to. I also noticed on the Football leather that it doesnt appear to be upholstered as in.. the leather wrapped around the plastic back and sealed in. Same with a video I saw with the black leather. It's just a thin layer of material glued to the plastic back piece which is glued to the back of the phone with double sided adhesive.

mikeyalltrade

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi onthecouchagain
My Moto x 2014 had a problem with the walnut back peeling. I have found quite a simple fix to this that may well avoid the need to send it back for a replacement. I warmed the affected area with a hair dryer until it was quite "warm" not hot to the touch. This allows to glue that secures the back to become malleable again. I then gently pressed the back until it was correctly "seated" on the phone. I then used two plastic clothes pegs to keep the walnut in position and let the glue become hard again ( about 30mins). This has worked for me and the walnut back has remained correctly seated. I hope this helps you.
Regards
Mike.

bowtienick

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
My second Gen 2 (first sent back for cracked screen - walnut back, no problems) was lifting between the dimple and the lens and around the dimple. Noticeable click when I pressed, heat gun and constant pressure did nothing but it wasn't bad enough to be a concern.

However, and this might be anecdotal, I was using mineral oil to condition the wood last night and this morning the issue seems moot...everything is flush?!? Could the oil have given the wood the pliability it needed from the factory?

Anyway, something to try before sending it in for a replacement and dealing with all that bs. At the very least, it does the wood some good.

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I just received my new Moto x 2nd gen with a blue plastic cover. Out of the box the back was not stuck on properly as there was some uneveness at the edges. Seems like there is a problem with the adhesive. I am very disappointed. It seems I may have to send it back and they will have it repaired. While some people may think I am too picky, I just don't think a brand new product should come like this straight out of the box.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I just received my new Moto x 2nd gen with a blue plastic cover. Out of the box the back was not stuck on properly as there was some uneveness at the edges. Seems like there is a problem with the adhesive. I am very disappointed. It seems I may have to send it back and they will have it repaired. While some people may think I am too picky, I just don't think a brand new product should come like this straight out of the box.

I would definitely send it back. I have one of the colored plastic backs on my phone, and it's been just fine since day 1. You should not settle for a defect like that right out of the box.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Send it back.

Oct 18, 2013
www.facebook.com
Could you by chance post some pics of the back of you still have the phone.

sinawae

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I had bamboo backing and it started to peel off from the lower left corner hardly a week into use. Pretty annoying, even if covered under warranty. Nobody wants to go through the hassle of sending off their phone to get it repaired/replaced.
I ended up having to get a new phone anyways after it fell out of my pocket. The only replacement they had available for (many) weeks out was the base model backing which seems to just be black vinyl/rubber. I was annoyed at first having been so excited about the bamboo, but actually like it a lot better. It grips better and doesn't feel as flimsy and shows no signs of peeling.

Andre Light

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same problem with my bamboo-backed Moto X 2nd Generation Pure Edition. I purchased the phone brand-new from Motorola's website late last September, and I noticed the defect about 2 months ago (so 2 months of warranty coverage left at that point).

Motorola support confirmed that the repair would be covered after I sent in an image.
Back pulling away on one side.jpg

They offer an Advance Replacement option for a $25 fee (non-refundable); when this option is selected, they'll send you a new phone while you keep your current phone, and then you send your old phone back after you transfer all your settings/data. The free repair/replacement option requires one to send in their phone and wait for the replacement.

Unfortunately, I've had a terrible experience with the Motorola repair department. I don't think I'll ever buy another product from Motorola, smartphone or otherwise. Over the past 6 weeks, I've received 4 (yes, FOUR) replacement Moto X devices from Motorola, and each one has had the same defect: a peeling bamboo back cover. I tried pushing the back cover down, but it always pops back up after several minutes (especially when the phone warms up a bit after several app installations). I spoke with a repair escalation department supervisor (Ruben) today, and he said he'll escalate this and assured me that the next replacement I receive (the fifth replacement) will not have any problems. I'll post an update upon receipt.

In case the fifth device is, yet again, defective, does anyone have recommendations for what I should do next (other than trying to fix it myself)? Does anyone have information on how I can send an email to Motorola's president, Rick Osterloh, or to someone who heads up the the repair department/oversees the supervisors?

In the meantime, I recommend not buying a Moto X (any generation). Some percentage of mass-produced products will always fail, and Motorola has shown that they don't respond adequately, even when given multiple opportunities. We'll see how the fifth replacement goes...

Last edited:

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It actually makes a lot of sense that the backs are peeling off, because the backs are simply stuck on using tape. If your phone gets damp or moist at all, there's a risk of the adhesive losing its grip, thus resulting in a peeling back.

I just changed my back cover last night. I bought my Moto X with a natural leather back, but after just 2 weeks of ownership it was already scratched, beat, and bruised, so I decided to replace it with a bamboo back. Once I peeled the back cover off, I was actually sorely disappointed on how Motorola assembles the Moto X. The back cover is simply stuck on using tape, that's it.

rob34222

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
i've had SIX of these phones with wooden backs, and never a single issue with peeling. four bamboo, two walnut.

i make signs for a living and i have plenty of tape here that is impervious to weather, meaning both temperature and moisture. some tapes i install after spraying with water to slow the adhesion process. for example picture an emblem taped to a car. that tape generally outlasts the car.

i often leave the phone on the counter in the bathroom when i shower and all the steam and condensation has never affected mine.

it would be far more likely that the tape is getting fingerprint oil from the unskilled laborers in china touching the adhesive, or a greasy machine contaminating it before installation.

i understand people have problems with the backs, but i want you guys to understand it isn't because of moisture or dampness.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
i've had SIX of these phones with wooden backs, and never a single issue with peeling. four bamboo, two walnut.

i make signs for a living and i have plenty of tape here that is impervious to weather, meaning both temperature and moisture. some tapes i install after spraying with water to slow the adhesion process. for example picture an emblem taped to a car. that tape generally outlasts the car.

i often leave the phone on the counter in the bathroom when i shower and all the steam and condensation has never affected mine.

it would be far more likely that the tape is getting fingerprint oil from the unskilled laborers in china touching the adhesive, or a greasy machine contaminating it before installation.

i understand people have problems with the backs, but i want you guys to understand it isn't because of moisture or dampness.

Thanks for clearing that up, moisture was just my guess as to why the adhesive is losing its grip.

In any case, using tape to stick the back on isn't a very good design decision in my opinion, you can't routinely take the back off and put it back on without risking destroying the back cover and most definitely the tape.

My leather back is dented and damaged from the inside now from where I had to lift it off from inside the sim tray, I'll never swap it back on. If I had replaced it with another leather back, I'd be worried about damaging that one too the next time I take it off (to replace the battery or to simply swap it out).

The plastic and wood back covers probably aren't as prone to damage, but the leather backs are way too soft, hence why they scratch and bruise so easily.

Andre Light

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I received the fifth replacement device today and it had the same problem. The Motorola Repair Department supervisor, Ruben, tried to put together a case by noting all 5 of my RMA numbers and the fact that I keep receiving the same phone with the same problem. He said Motorola would not send me a different phone (e.g. one with a plastic back cover instead of bamboo).

Now, I'm escalating to Ruben's supervisor or whatever the next level may be (he wasn't clear about who that might be). I'll post an update when I have more information. Again, please let me know if you have any information about how I might be able to expedite a resolution. I just want a replacement Moto X 2nd Generation with a plastic back rather than wood.

Last edited:

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I received the fifth replacement device today and it had the same problem. The Motorola Repair Department supervisor, Ruben, tried to put together a case by noting all 5 of my RMA numbers and the fact that I keep receiving the same phone with the same problem. He said Motorola would not send me a different phone (e.g. one with a plastic back cover instead of bamboo).

Now, I'm escalating to Ruben's supervisor or whatever the next level may be (he wasn't clear about who that might be). I'll post an update when I have more information. Again, please let me know if you have any information about how I might be able to expedite a resolution. I just want a replacement Moto X 2nd Generation with a plastic back rather than wood.

Ever consider just putting a plastic back on it?

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
If you read his post again, he says that Motorola won't send him a phone with a plastic back instead of the bamboo one (heaven knows why).

Last edited:

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
So what's stopping him from taking the bamboo back off and putting on a plastic one?

Where do you get replacement backs from? It's probably a really simple thing to do if you can get hold of a replacement back. Even so, the principal of the thing would kinda eat away at me if it was me. Why the hell should someone have to rip their phone apart and stick it back together again? Motorola should send him one with a plastic back if that's what he wants now