Moto X or M8

Curtendz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Bout to make a purchase today. I know I might get some biased answers based on the forum but I really can't decide. Please help!

Posted via Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Bout to make a purchase today. I know I might get some biased answers based on the forum but I really can't decide. Please help!

Had an M8 before, have the Moto X now.
The M8 is a really good phone. Sense UI is good without being overly done. Speakers are great and it has a good size battery that is uses efficiently. It has a bright LCD display. HTC has been committed to timely updates but they are sometimes slowed through carriers as they all can be at times. It is pretty customizable through the developer community. The camera takes good pictures but is limited by low resolution, preventing quality zooms or cropping.
The Moto X is also a really good phone. The UI is essentially vanilla android. It has a decent size battery that it uses efficiently and should get you through the day. The speaker is good, loud and clear. Has an amoled display that offers robust colors. Motorola has added Moto Assist that offers unique features. The active display function is without a doubt the most handy feature that all phones should have. There are apps that try to duplicate this function but they don't work nearly as well. Motorola has a history with the original X of pushing updates nearly as fast as Nexus devices get them.
It's a tough call, they're both really good phones and both are well built. My money's on the new X but that's me. YMMV

Curtendz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man I really appreciate the run down. I like the X more but I'm leaning towards the M8 just $$ reasons. I have t-mobile so while I could buy the X up front I don't really want to let go of that type of money (in a lump sum) right now.

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Had an M8 before, have the Moto X now.
The M8 is a really good phone. Sense UI is good without being overly done. Speakers are great and it has a good size battery that is uses efficiently. It has a bright LCD display. HTC has been committed to timely updates but they are sometimes slowed through carriers as they all can be at times. It is pretty customizable through the developer community. The camera takes good pictures but is limited by low resolution, preventing quality zooms or cropping.
The Moto X is also a really good phone. The UI is essentially vanilla android. It has a decent size battery that it uses efficiently and should get you through the day. The speaker is good, loud and clear. Has an amoled display that offers robust colors. Motorola has added Moto Assist that offers unique features. The active display function is without a doubt the most handy feature that all phones should have. There are apps that try to duplicate this function but they don't work nearly as well. Motorola has a history with the original X of pushing updates nearly as fast as Nexus devices get them.
It's a tough call, they're both really good phones and both are well built. My money's on the new X but that's me. YMMV
That's an excellent reply.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks man I really appreciate the run down. I like the X more but I'm leaning towards the M8 just $$ reasons. I have t-mobile so while I could buy the X up front I don't really want to let go of that type of money (in a lump sum) right now.

There's always Moto credit ;)

Curtendz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Also one other thing have you noticed if one phone has better reception than the other? That's a huge pain point for me now (nexus 4) and I know the move to lte will help. I work in an area with less than perfect reception so I need all the signal I can get.

JRuppenthal

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

It also depends on how quickly you want your phone. The M8 I'm sure you can get today. I placed an order for a Pure Edition Moto X on 9/18 and am told it may arrive by 10/13. And that is not a guarantee. If you were on Verizon, you could have a Moto X in days it seems. Motorola plays favorites with the carriers and its customers. Not exactly a great way to engender customer satisfaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Also one other thing have you noticed if one phone has better reception than the other? That's a huge pain point for me now (nexus 4) and I know the move to lte will help. I work in an area with less than perfect reception so I need all the signal I can get.

Motorola wins hands down. Reception is not bad with the M8, don't get me wrong, it's actually pretty good. But radios are Motorola's specialty and they're hard to beat in this area.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Motorola wins hands down. Reception is not bad with the M8, don't get me wrong, it's actually pretty good. But radios are Motorola's specialty and they're hard to beat in this area.

That's always been my experience comparing Motorola to Samsung to Apple. Motorola can't quite compete with the others in the camera department, but reception is always excellent. I honestly forget I'm not on a landline.

Curtendz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm not too worried about the call quality but being able to use data in a area with a weak signal is a huge plus for me. That could sway my opinion.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have lived with the HTC One (M8) since April... I'm leaving it for the Moto X (2014). The HTC does have great speakers, but I really don't use them that much... battery life is good... my biggest complaint about it is the screen brightness in the sun, on a cloudy day it's good, but on a bright sunny day I can barely see it outside.

I just ordered the Moto X on MotoMaker, so I don't have one on hand yet... just reading the reviews, but I really like Phil's review here on AC. By the way, I'm purchasing the Pure version, so I'm not going to have to see all the carrier bloat.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have lived with the HTC One (M8) since April... I'm leaving it for the Moto X (2014). The HTC does have great speakers, but I really don't use them that much... battery life is good... my biggest complaint about it is the screen brightness in the sun, on a cloudy day it's good, but on a bright sunny day I can barely see it outside.

On my second day with mine. Was just outside snapping a few pictures in bright sunlight. Had to crank the screen brightness to 100% but it was very usable at that. Had the sun to my back with the screen directly in the sunlight and I could see it fine to take the pictures.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm not too worried about the call quality but being able to use data in a area with a weak signal is a huge plus for me. That could sway my opinion.1

If signal is a concern, then you want the Moto X. Motorola knows radios. I'm often able to use my phone (Moto X 2013) in areas and in situations when others struggle using theirs.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
On my second day with mine. Was just outside snapping a few pictures in bright sunlight. Had to crank the screen brightness to 100% but it was very usable at that. Had the sun to my back with the screen directly in the sunlight and I could see it fine to take the pictures.

Is that the M8?

Sent from my Moto X

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The M8 Eye is supposedly coming out soon, with a better camera and screen (maybe the face will have more screen and less bezel.) Of course, if cost is a concern, then it wouldn't be a better option than the original M8.

Sent from my Moto X

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
No, the Moto X. I could see the screen at a lower brightness but for taking pictures I needed it at 100% to compose the shot better.

Original Moto X is the same way. At 100% brightness it is usable for taking pics in sunlight.

Sent from my Moto X

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
No, the Moto X. I could see the screen at a lower brightness but for taking pictures I needed it at 100% to compose the shot better.

That makes sense now. Phil had said the screen was good in sunlight.

Additionally, I will add the Motorola's radios are probably the best out of any devices I have ever used.