Moto X 2014 Why Moto, Why?

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone check out the specs of Moto's Droid Turbo on Verizon?
It's all leaks currently, nothing confirmed, Just a service manual, pics..., BUT:
Why didn't some of that goodness go into Moto X?
They were being developed concurrently.
SD805, 20MP camera, Wireless charging....darn.
Only thing X shared was size...expendable, at best.
Why does one have to put up with Verizon bloat, branding, pricing for Moto's best effort?
Me thinks there has to be a non-competition agreement...
Grrr.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why Moto, Why?

I knew I would see a post like this. I'm surprised it took so long. There are 2 possible advantages with the Turbo over the X. The battery capacity and the wireless charging. The camera is only showing a MP bump. Until the details are out on that, I doubt it'll be better than the X's. Now lets hear it everyone...

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I knew I would see a post like this. I'm surprised it took so long. There are 2 possible advantages with the Turbo over the X. The battery capacity and the wireless charging. The camera is only showing a MP bump. Until the details are out on that, I doubt it'll be better than the X's. Now lets hear it everyone...
If you knew it was coming, you must have realized it to be factual.
First off, SD805 can handle 50MP+ camera, doesn't have to be 21MP.
3 GB ram, meh 2 seems fine, Qi is a no-brainer, to have it is to love it. To not have it means mini-usb failure as drop dead limitation.
Battery size would be determined by size, shape considerations. Being non-removable increases options there.
My complaint is Moto being limited by agreements. That must be the determining factor because the engineering is there.
Moto has the know-how, obviously.
THAT is frustrating.

Last edited:

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

Moto X isn't supposed to be a cutting edge device. I guarantee it'll be more bug free and updated much much sooner. And look a helluva lot better doing so. Not denying this is a spec monster but I think I will wait for the processors to really catch up to the 2k screens, not just manage.

Posted via the Android Central App

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Who cares! I love my Moto X 14' as is! Sure Verizon will have a great device on their hands but mine has no bloat, faster updates and just 1 less gig of RAM that I don't need anyways! Can't stick a price tag on that for me IMO. So Verizon can keep their beefed up specs in trade for that. :)

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

It's all leaks currently, nothing confirmed, Just a service manual, pics..., BUT:
Why does one have to put up with Verizon bloat, branding, pricing for Moto's best effort?
Grrr.

The Droid and Moto lines are completely different. Your last sentence alludes to that. But not for the spec reasons you assume. The general public is hardly interested in specs. It buys based on looks, features, battery life and price.
The Droid line is obviously geek driven whereas the Moto line is geared toward mass popularity.
It's no different than, for example, the Chevy Impala and the Chevy Camaro. Both made by Chevy but each have very different body styles and definitely different internals. The Camaro obviously is meant to appeal to a different segment. It's a sports niche segment and will never sell more than the more mainstream Impala which is way more modestly speced and priced much lower.
You're just suffering from a mild case of buyer's remorse with a touch of jealousy. Your type probably gets this virus with every device you buy.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I'm assuming that the price of the Turbo will be a couple hundred dollars more than the X if purchased without a contract. Wonder how many people would purchase the phone off contract with the price tickling $800?

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

There is always something bigger and better coming around the corner. The key is which one best matches your needs. Specs do not always directly relate to performance especially in the area important to you. As a serious photographer I rarely take pictures or video with my phone so the camera is not a big deal to me. For others it is make or break. I was very impressed by my test drives of the Moto X in the Verizon store. [A sales rep told ask me to let some other people check out the phone - guess I was there too long]. Since I have a couple months to contract end, I should have time to test drive a Turbo. While appearance should be one of the lesser factors, I have to admit that MotoMaker is a great sales tool. Until the KK update my Droid Razr M was doing fine for me. If the update had not happened, I would probably be using it for a few more years.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Won't it be exclusive to Verizon though? Not really an option for me.

Sure it's better on paper (and probably in use too), but I've got no regrets. I knew what I was looking for when I bought the Moto X.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Grrr.

Eh. The 805 vs the 801 is not that big a difference. Same with the camera bump. They're more a way for Verizon to say, "Hey we have a new shiny that's ours and ours alone, and look how special it is!" than anything else. I would have loved for the Moto X to have wireless charging, but that's a compromise when you're dealing with the level of customization available to the X. Bigger battery would have been nice, but then the X seems to last most people just fine so not a big concern for me.

I think the discrepancy can be explained by one word: Verizon. This thing is a Droid, a brand exclusive to Verizon. Thus, its specs were dictated not by Moto's costs or market research, but Verizon's. They likely had a wish list and a price point, and haggled with Motorola until the Turbo was the result.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Grrr.

Price ..turbo will be 299 on contract and 700$ off contract ..other -ve's no moto maker, slower updates.

Posted via the Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I heard it will be on AT&T and T-Mo. If it is on T-Mo and no more than $550 I might consider it, but I'm actually more interested in the Nexus 6 to use as a tablet.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I heard it will be on AT&T and T-Mo. If it is on T-Mo and no more than $550 I might consider it, but I'm actually more interested in the Nexus 6 to use as a tablet.
(I'm not trashing the new Moto X, it's a great phone. One can still have a great phone with great specs..and that is part of what bothers me. These phones were planned and manufactured together.)
If the T-M version is like the OG Moto X unlocked that would be great.
Other wise we would just change bloatware branding.
That's one of my points.
Nothing says we can't have that Droid Turbo running pure Moto goodness. My guess is we could side load Moto X 2014 OS into that Droid and it would run great. [expensive experiment]
Again, my complaint is that Moto has the technology but is hampered by agreements.
Inferring problems based on increased complexity are bogus. Moto X is using cutting edge tech concepts now. All this is just higher end hardware. Qi has been mainstream forever; more ram?, higher end camera? Please.
SD805 might have some initial problems but nothing Verizon bloatware will fix. and nothing beyond Moto's ability to correct.
Guess I enjoy howling at the moon.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

(I'm not trashing the new Moto X, it's a great phone. One can still have a great phone with great specs..and that is part of what bothers me. These phones were planned and manufactured together.)
If the T-M version is like the OG Moto X unlocked that would be great.
Other wise we would just change bloatware branding.
That's one of my points.
Nothing says we can't have that Droid Turbo running pure Moto goodness. My guess is we could side load Moto X 2014 OS into that Droid and it would run great. [expensive experiment]
Again, my complaint is that Moto has the technology but is hampered by agreements.
Inferring problems based on increased complexity are bogus. Moto X is using cutting edge tech concepts now. All this is just higher end hardware. Qi has been mainstream forever; more ram?, higher end camera? Please.
SD805 might have some initial problems but nothing Verizon bloatware will fix. and nothing beyond Moto's ability to correct.
Guess I enjoy howling at the moon.
I'm pretty sure most of the MotoX features will be available on the Droid Turbo, I think Touchless Control was available in the previous Droid as well but Verizon users can confirm it better.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm pretty sure most of the MotoX features will be available on the Droid Turbo, I think Touchless Control was available in the previous Droid as well but Verizon users can confirm it better.
Correct. Last year's Droid models all had the same software features the X had. Should be the same for this year's Droid Turbo.

Sent from my LG G3

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Motorola's strategy for the new X was to undercut the other flagships but offer a premium experience overall, not necessarily in every aspect though. Seems they targeted about a $100 below the average flagship in terms of full retail cost (and subsidized for that matter.)

So the Turbo, with super-sized specs, definitely doesn't fit that strategy.

Sent from my Moto X

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

The Droid line is obviously geek driven whereas the Moto line is geared toward mass popularity.

If that's the case they're doing it wrong. Masses don't buy phones online or have any clue what motomaker is. They walk into the VZ store and walk out with what the VZ rep wants them to; which is the Droid much more than the X.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Returning my moto x to wait and see. I requested a return and they send me a label etc to ship it back. I hit 14 days tomorrow. Was not too impressed with the earpiece volume. My iPhone 6+ is much louder so I am using that for now.

I will wait to see if a gsm version of the turbo comes out unlocked. If not, I would not be against another moto x but maybe wait for the 64 GB pure edition? Not interested in the nexus 6.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

The Droid and Moto lines are completely different. Your last sentence alludes to that. But not for the spec reasons you assume. The general public is hardly interested in specs. It buys based on looks, features, battery life and price.
It's no different than, for example, the Chevy Impala and the Chevy Camaro. Both made by Chevy but each have very different body styles and definitely different internals. The Camaro obviously is meant to appeal to a different segment. It's a sports niche segment and will never sell more than the more mainstream Impala which is way more modestly speced and priced much lower.
You're just suffering from a mild case of buyer's remorse with a touch of jealousy. Your type probably gets this virus with every device you buy.

The base model Impala is roughly 4k more than the base Camaro.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn