Moto X 2014 Active Display

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Moto X and I am liking it but one thing that kind of drives me crazy is active display. I know everyone says this is one of the best things about the phone but I find I am looking at this phone more then others. I'll put it on the couch or driver side seat and it just seems like the display comes on all the time. If I hit a bump or someone moves on the couch it turns the display on and I think I got a notification but nothing is there. Is there anyway to adjust this? I turned off setting where it turns on when I reach for the phone.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Active Display

Your best bet is to turn it off completely. There are widgets that can put notifications on your lockscreen like DashClock.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I just got the Moto X and I am liking it but one thing that kind of drives me crazy is active display. I know everyone says this is one of the best things about the phone but I find I am looking at this phone more then others. I'll put it on the couch or driver side seat and it just seems like the display comes on all the time. If I hit a bump or someone moves on the couch it turns the display on and I think I got a notification but nothing is there. Is there anyway to adjust this? I turned off setting where it turns on when I reach for the phone.

Just stick it facing down then its all set. Otherwise there are other lock screen options out there like Somguy01234 said.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

That pretty much defeats the purpose of the active display. I might hold on to it as my back up phone and stick to my Xperia Z3 has my daily driver.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

I would rather have that than having led going off continuously without giving me use full info about the notifications

Posted via the Android Central App

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

My led does give me info on why it's going off. fast yellow light means a text message, a medium white light means priority gmail and blue means a calendar event. I use a lock pattern and don't want any other information then that.
I don't want others to know what's going on. People that use iphones have there text message going off and when it's sitting on the table you can read who it's from and what part of the message is. Don't want that with android.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

My led does give me info on why it's going off. fast yellow light means a text message, a medium white light means priority gmail and blue means a calendar event. I use a lock pattern and don't want any other information then that.
I don't want others to know what's going on. People that use iphones have there text message going off and when it's sitting on the table you can read who it's from and what part of the message is. Don't want that with android.

I believe you can set it to not display content from certain apps on the screen. Doesn't solve the bumping issue, but it solves the privacy issue.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Are you saying the entire screen is waking up? Not just the active notification "pulse" with the time and the lock symbol?

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Not the entire screen, just the notification pulse when I don't have a notification. When you bump the phone or it's moved the notification goes off and I am looking at the phone all the time.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

notification led is much more convenient and saves battery life imho
I completely disagree that a notification light saves battery compared to active notifications. Active notifications only lights up a few hundred pixels, not the whole screen. With a notification light, you have to turn on the screen for any info about the notification while you get important info from active notifications without the full screen on. It wouldn't surprise me if the notification light every couple of seconds uses substantially more battery than active notifications because it keeps blinking continuously. The combination of active notifications and touchless controls is a brilliant solution by Moto.

afrozeke

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Active display is one of the best features of this phone. It's so good I can't imagine having a phone without it now.

I just flip the phone face down when I want to ignore notifications for a while.

ilmor

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

The contextual computing processor is interpreting the movement as an intent to pick up the phone, in which case Moto Display should activate since a common use case is the user wanting to check the time and not just notifications Unfortunately, the phone isn't able to distinguish between a road bump and you actually picking up the phone. Most notifications have tones or vibrations associated with them so it is easy to determine whether an actual notification has been pushed to your phone. Unless of course you have your phone set to silent frequently...

afrozeke

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

I'll take the occasional bump show time thing as long as it works exactly the same way the rest of the time. I don't live in my car and I've conditioned myself to never even look at my phone while driving.

Seriously, can't live without it now. 😊

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I completely disagree that a notification light saves battery compared to active notifications. Active notifications only lights up a few hundred pixels, not the whole screen. With a notification light, you have to turn on the screen for any info about the notification while you get important info from active notifications without the full screen on. It wouldn't surprise me if the notification light every couple of seconds uses substantially more battery than active notifications because it keeps blinking continuously. The combination of active notifications and touchless controls is a brilliant solution by Moto.

I agree that the active notifications overall is probably a battery saver, since a notification LED can only convey so much info even with something like LightFlow installed. This would require you to turn the screen on to see what the message/email/whatever actually says. However, a single LED (or even a grouping of them that allows different color combos) draws so little power that its impact on battery life is negligible. The battery savings from Moto's approach come from not having to turn the whole screen on to see what's going on, not from the lack of a notification LED.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Active display is one of the best features of this phone. It's so good I can't imagine having a phone without it now.

I just flip the phone face down when I want to ignore notifications for a while.

Ditto. It's my single most can't-do-without-it favorite feature of the Moto X and I would never want to go back to a phone with an LED notification light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781