I loved my RAZR M until the ota KitKat update totally screwed it up. The battery is so bad, I am lucky if I can make it through 2/3 of a day where I used to easily make it from 6am-11pm with plenty left. It is also generally less stable, gets really hot (usually when the battery is plummeting) and generally annoying.

My 2 years was up in September, so it looks like it is time to update. I'm not a fan of these huge phones (I have a tablet for when I want a larger screen!) but it looks like that is something I'm going to have to compromise on. I liked the mostly clean android on my M and it handled everything I needed (4 email accounts, twitter, web browsing, international travel, etc.) I liked the size and I liked that it wasn't too heavy. My last phone was a Droid X and the M was amazingly light to carry around after that!

Maybe I'm crazy to be looking at another Motorola phone after the mess of the KitKat update, but I am not feeling all that enthused about Samsung phones. It looks like they modify android enough that I would have to learn their interface - not to mention teach my dad to use it since we always have the same phone (we work together for our family business). I definitely want to stay android - not a big fan of Apple & doubt the long term availability of Windows phones.

Is the Moto X a good choice to replace my M? I'm a something of a tech geek, so I do want a fairly powerful phone & not old tech that I could easily outgrow before my 2 yrs is up. The "big sell" for the Moto X seems to be the customization and while it might be fun to design my phone, this isn't really a big deal to me and I might just go with what they have in stock at the store if available just so I can get rid of the damn RAZR M that much sooner!
    10-17-2014 02:52 PM
    I went from the RAZR HD to the new X (didn't have Kit Kat issues though). The interface is pretty close to the same and I am happy with my choice. It is certainly much larger than the M though.
    10-17-2014 03:10 PM
    I loved my RAZR M until the ota KitKat update totally screwed it up. The battery is so bad, I am lucky if I can make it through 2/3 of a day where I used to easily make it from 6am-11pm with plenty left. It is also generally less stable, gets really hot (usually when the battery is plummeting) and generally annoying.

My 2 years was up in September, so it looks like it is time to update. I'm not a fan of these huge phones (I have a tablet for when I want a larger screen!) but it looks like that is something I'm going to have to compromise on. I liked the mostly clean android on my M and it handled everything I needed (4 email accounts, twitter, web browsing, international travel, etc.) I liked the size and I liked that it wasn't too heavy. My last phone was a Droid X and the M was amazingly light to carry around after that!

Maybe I'm crazy to be looking at another Motorola phone after the mess of the KitKat update, but I am not feeling all that enthused about Samsung phones. It looks like they modify android enough that I would have to learn their interface - not to mention teach my dad to use it since we always have the same phone (we work together for our family business). I definitely want to stay android - not a big fan of Apple & doubt the long term availability of Windows phones.

Is the Moto X a good choice to replace my M? I'm a something of a tech geek, so I do want a fairly powerful phone & not old tech that I could easily outgrow before my 2 yrs is up. The "big sell" for the Moto X seems to be the customization and while it might be fun to design my phone, this isn't really a big deal to me and I might just go with what they have in stock at the store if available just so I can get rid of the damn RAZR M that much sooner!
    I was in the same boat. My sad little RAZR M is sitting right here by me wishing he could return to his pre KitKat speed and battery life However, I finally today received my new Moto X that I ordered on Moto Maker back on 9/30...and despite all my badmouthing on this forum about Motorola I love my new X. The size is not much of an adjustment for me because it's so comfortable to hold and the screen and keyboard are so much easier to use. I wouldn't go back to sad little RAZR M even if they did fix him.

PS. If you go to the Motorola website Verizon put the Moto Maker version of the Moto X on sale today so you can get a 16GB custom design starting at $50 on contract or the 32GB for $100. Sadly they won't give me a refund since I paid $150 for my 32 GB but I chatted with Moto on the phone and they are gonna send me a $50 voucher towards accessory purchase on their website. I am hoping to get a turbo charger and a hula bumper case, if I decide to keep this beauty of a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-17-2014 05:08 PM
    Thanks for the input Is there any particular reason to use motomaker & not just get a "stock" phone at the Verizon store? Other than the obvious you can make it whatever color/material/etc you want. I'm not sure I care all that much - or at least not enough to wait weeks to get my new phone! I've never had memory issues with my M, so I'm probably fine with 16GB (I don't keep my music on my phone - I like having it on a separate iTouch) and I rarely bother with games. For basic apps, a few photos, email, etc. the 8GB M has been fine.

We have 4 lines with 3 smartphones/1basic and it looks like we are going to go with a 10GB More Everything Edge plan. I'm not at all comfortable trying to get this setup online, so we'll be going into a Verizon corporate store to set it up. If there is a good reason to use Motomaker, it sounds like I can get a code from them to use when ordering the phone, but it would be a lot simpler overall to just walk out the door with a new phone.
    10-20-2014 01:20 PM
    Thanks for the input Is there any particular reason to use motomaker & not just get a "stock" phone at the Verizon store? Other than the obvious you can make it whatever color/material/etc you want. I'm not sure I care all that much - or at least not enough to wait weeks to get my new phone! I've never had memory issues with my M, so I'm probably fine with 16GB (I don't keep my music on my phone - I like having it on a separate iTouch) and I rarely bother with games. For basic apps, a few photos, email, etc. the 8GB M has been fine.

We have 4 lines with 3 smartphones/1basic and it looks like we are going to go with a 10GB More Everything Edge plan. I'm not at all comfortable trying to get this setup online, so we'll be going into a Verizon corporate store to set it up. If there is a good reason to use Motomaker, it sounds like I can get a code from them to use when ordering the phone, but it would be a lot simpler overall to just walk out the door with a new phone.
    Nope, unless you want 32GB or a custom design it's better to buy from Amazon (cheaper) or the Verizon store.

Don't recommend EDGE unless you plan on upgrading all phones every 3-6 months or if you change carriers a lot. There is another thread on that debate.

Also, I found out the hard way that you'll have to purchase Insurance / Extended Warranty thru Verizon either way bc they are the only carrier to block purchase of Motorola Moto Care Warranty. This means that any custom designed phone would be replaced with standard black if warranty/replacement is used. Ultimately this is why I returned my custom Moto X and will wait for DROID Turbo.

Sent from Uranus
    10-20-2014 01:42 PM
    OK - so no need for Motomaker. I've been doing a LOT of math and for our situation, I keep coming up that a More Everything plan with Edge is my best option (unless I'm really confused). The full price for the X seems to be $500 at Amazon, Verizon, etc. We need 3 new phones. With Edge, I pay that $500 per phone spread out over 24 months with no interest. Getting the 10GB More Everything plan we get the discounted pricing of $15 per line and $100 for the shared data. We tend to keep our phones at least for the full 2 years. We are currently 2 months past our 2 years on our last contract and if the RAZR M hadn't been screwed up with KitKat we might be waiting a couple months longer. With Edge, once we have paid off our phones (24 months) the discounted pricing for the lines continues since we will own all our phones and won't have a subsidized phone on the plan. If we were to buy the phones up front, my total cost over 24 months would be the same, but with Edge I don't have to shell out $1500 up front.
    10-20-2014 02:01 PM
    Thanks for the input Is there any particular reason to use motomaker & not just get a "stock" phone at the Verizon store?
    In my state carriers/sellers will collect sales tax on the full price of the phone even if you're buying at the on-contract price. FWIW, I just ordered on-contract through Motomaker and was only charged tax on the contract price -- a savings of almost $50. YMMV.
    10-20-2014 02:53 PM
    Thanks for sharing all of your number crunching. I think your situation is one of the few that seems to work better on EDGE, and that's what other people are saying in that other thread.

Ps. I'm also very sad about how they crippled our Droid Razr M. I could have easily used it for another year with no problems. Many people speculate this was a planned obsolescence move my Moto to get us to upgrade... Either way, it sadly worked.

Sent from Uranus
    10-20-2014 03:21 PM