Moto X 2014 What happened to Moto voice???

DrewGross

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I really was looking forward to this function when I bought the phone but its been nothing but a headache,especially after the last update. It might work one out of four times. It says opening google when you ask it to do something. When you say "whats up?" it no longer speaks your name. Its just weird that this is functioning so poorly when I heard nothing but great things about it. Anyone else having these problems?

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: What happened to Moto voice???

I just got my (2014) Moto X a few days ago (and the update a few hours ago) and am severely disappointed in Moto Voice. I had a 2013 Moto X for a while and LOVED using the handsfree 'Ok Google Now' commands. Moto Voice? It's ruining the Moto X.

#1) Over the past 2 days, I have had Moto X come on twice with other people talking in the background. My old Moto X seemed to be able to pick my voice out of a crowd (it was impressive).

#2) The LAG of using Moto Voice to open Google to give me an answer is silly. Its like it has to listen to each set of instructions twice - once on Moto Voice, and once on Google Now. Just plain Google Now on my Nexus 7 is way, way faster.

#3) The new update (Oct 16 i think) says "Opening Google" during every activity in which it uses Google. This is SO ANNOYING. Its so bad, that I am avoiding using Moto Voice.

To me, it seems like Moto Voice is a downgrade from the original Moto X Touchless Controls.... .and this is so disappointing! I am really loving most of my Moto X features, but touch less control is one of the Moto X's prime standout features. But in its current state, its more annoying than helpful, and I would rather just press a button and have Google Now launch. I have 11 more days before I am out of my return window - we shall see.

kap39

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

it WAS great, the voice recognition was fast, got my launch phrase every single time, and did a really good job of responding to only my voice, even when other people were saying my launch phrase!

The update a few days ago ruined it - it's much slower, has a hard time recognizing the launch phrase as well as the built in moto voice commands, and yes, the super annoying "opening google" for every single thing.

Hopefully another update will fix this (and soon.)

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site

And contacts with multiple numbers can't be called saying, "Call John, mobile," like on the old Touchless Control. Now, all numbers are displayed and she reads them one by one until you say call after the correct one.

No good.

Posted via Android Central App

DrewGross

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I want to add that now when I say "what's up?", it opens up google about half the time and whats to show me the term "what's up". Oh well hopefully they can fix this soon!

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I really was looking forward to this function when I bought the phone but its been nothing but a headache,especially after the last update. It might work one out of four times. It says opening google when you ask it to do something. When you say "whats up?" it no longer speaks your name. Its just weird that this is functioning so poorly when I heard nothing but great things about it. Anyone else having these problems?

I just tested mine, and when I say, "what's up," it still says my name. I'm really not having any issues with it recognizing my voice or my phrase (a very boring "Okay Moto X") but that constant "opening Google" thing is very annoying and totally unnecessary. I agree it needs to stop.

The Singularious

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I too am having issues with Moto Voice. My kids answered a phone call just by playing in the background recently (granted they were very cacophonous).

But the bigger deal killer for me and this phone is the text to voice (and the inverse) while driving. It's one of the things that sold me on the phone. It's turned out to be far more dangerous than my old phone, where I simply wouldn't text while driving.

Moto reads me an incoming text, then asks if I want to respond. I confirm that I do. Then while I'm in the middle of a response, then phone just goes to sleep, saves none of the message, and acts as if nothing has happened. I don't mind not having certain features at all, but my head explodes with promised features that are half-assed and broken. And it's more distracting than just not having the feature at all. Of course, this feature is a big part of why I bought the phone. I'm not happy with Motorola right now.

My co-worker's 2013 X does not seem to have this problem. I bought an upgraded phone that works worse than the previous generation. I'd return this thing if I could.

Is there some way to engage Motorola formally about problems we're having? I mean really get a message through to them and not have to go through a 3P answering service that doesn't communicate with anyone at corporate?

VERY frustrated with my experience thus far.

afrozeke

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

This has not happened to me at all but you can post about it in the official Motorola forums. They seem to be very engaged in there. Maybe they can help. Not sure.

Posted via the Android Central App

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Matt (the key point of contact) on the Moto forums said they are looking into things with the most recent update. Unlike some of the other manufacturers, Moto continues to appear to actually listen to user feedback. Keep in mind, though, that your voice will likely be more directly heard on Moto's forums than on non-Moto forums.

kae9797

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Just to put in my 2 cents, But man did they really screwed up the moto voice stuff. From day one this thing sucks... lag, some times after it opens it just closes and my favorite, it just totally ignores you, my moto 2013 work so much better, What a pitty...............

detmsp

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Just got my moto x today and I'm disappointed with this as well. Any time I try to get it to play music it just opens YouTube. I've tried play artist and listen to artist but it just sends me to YouTube

The Singularious

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Just got my moto x today and I'm disappointed with this as well. Any time I try to get it to play music it just opens YouTube. I've tried play artist and listen to artist but it just sends me to YouTube

YES. I've had it open YouTube so many times that it makes me want to remove YouTube. Oh wait...

But seriously, I have had YouTube open when I'm trying to play music, make a phone call, and search for business contact info online.

Pretty maddening.

Thanks to afrozeke and jephanie for the tip about going to the Motorola forums. I'll do that the next time I have a problem, which will probably be on the way to work this morning...

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Count me too. Moto voice works sporadically at best. Is to the point that I rarely use it if at all.

The honeymoon is over. Not terribly impressed with this phone. It's pretty and runs smoothly, but, all of the extras are not up to snuff. Hopefully there will be updates to help us out.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

If memory serves, the original Moto had a few laggy moments and other quirks that were addressed with updates. As smooth as it works on the OG X, I'm confident they'll update the 2014 X to the same or better standards.

walt27

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I have the same issues however new update has fixed most I read that android l will have pretty much the same features as moto assist. Maybe Google will get it right

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

If memory serves, the original Moto had a few laggy moments and other quirks that were addressed with updates. As smooth as it works on the OG X, I'm confident they'll update the 2014 X to the same or better standards.

Beetween these issues, and the no voice/data at the same time (for now,) I'm glad I'm not an early adopter!

Sent from my Moto X

Last edited:

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Beetween these issues, and the no voice/data at the same time (for now,) I'm glad I'm not an early adopter!

Sent from my Moto X

I am glad I returned mine. I am gonna get the Droid Turbo, but I will not be an early adopter of that one... Especially if it launches with Kitkat instead of Lollipop

Sent from Uranus

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

For what it's worth, my '14 X is behaving very similar to my old OG X in terms of Moto Voice. The no voice/data is not a big deal to me, I didn't even know my OG X could do it.

However, as good as the '14 X is, I don't believe it's that major of a step forward for an average OG X owner. Don't get me wrong, I love my new X and I would recommend it to anyone. But at the end of the day, it does nothing more than what my OG X did for me. Take that as you will.