Moto X 2014 difference between unlocked verizon phone & pure edition

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I've walked through the order form of the moto-maker website & am wondering about the difference between the unlocked Verizon phone and the pure edition, other than the difference in the carrier. From my understanding, the pure edition is free of carrier bloatware & branding, but does that mean that the unlocked version for Verizon will have their bloatware & branding, and if so, what would be the point of paying the extra money for an unlocked Verizon phone rather than getting the cheaper subsidized price. If it does not have any of the bloatware & branding, then how is that different from the ATT/T-Mobile pure version.

Thanks.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: difference between unlocked verizon phone & pure edition

The pure version has no branding or bloat, it also has an unlockable bootloader so you can easily root it.

The Verizon version contains the bloat apps and is not unlockable.

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, but according to the website, if I select "unlocked without a contract" it will show three choices of full price phones, GSM Unlocked Pure for ATT/T-Mobile, and two "Carrier Choices", ATT and Verizon, also at full price. So, if I select the unlocked, "Carrier Choice" for Verizon, what am I getting WRT bloatware, branding, boot loader etc, it is still not very clear. What does "unlocked" for Verizon mean.

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

It means it is carrier unlocked but the bootloader is still locked and encrypted.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, but according to the website, if I select "unlocked without a contract" it will show three choices of full price phones, GSM Unlocked Pure for ATT/T-Mobile, and two "Carrier Choices", ATT and Verizon, also at full price. So, if I select the unlocked, "Carrier Choice" for Verizon, what am I getting WRT bloatware, branding, boot loader etc, it is still not very clear. What does "unlocked" for Verizon mean.

Here are your options:

On contract subsidized (2 year agreement) - AT&T or Verizon

Off contract full price - AT&T, Verizon, or Pure Edition (Tmobile/AT&T)

Regardless of the price you pay, the AT&T and Verizon versions will have locked bootloaders and carrier bloat, delayed updates, etc.

Yes the full price option says "unlocked without a contract". But what it means is what I wrote above.

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

Ok, thanks, that sucks, I'm stuck w/Verizon because we dumped all our land lines & Verizon is the only one that has a good enough signal where we live. I wonder if there are any plans for a pure version that supports the Verizon network, has anyone heard anything about that?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Ok, thanks, that sucks, I'm stuck w/Verizon because we dumped all our land lines & Verizon is the only one that has a good enough signal where we live. I wonder if there are any plans for a pure version that supports the Verizon network, has anyone heard anything about that?

I believe Motorola is done with the different Moto X (2014) options... what you see is what you get. Verizon loves to be sure they have all their apps on any of their devices. I'm actually very surprised they are going to have another Nexus device since the last one did not go very well.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I believe Motorola is done with the different Moto X (2014) options... what you see is what you get. Verizon loves to be sure they have all their apps on any of their devices. I'm actually very surprised they are going to have another Nexus device since the last one did not go very well.
Not go very well is an understatement! ;-)

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

So, still trying to understand what value anyone would see in getting the Verizon unlocked (unsubsidized) moto-x phone for other than not being locked into a 2-year contract. If you are reasonably sure you will still be with Verizon for the next 2 years, what possible reason would anyone not get the subsidized version, does Verizon offer you cheaper service plans if you bring your own phone?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

So, still trying to understand what value anyone would see in getting the Verizon unlocked (unsubsidized) moto-x phone for other than not being locked into a 2-year contract. If you are reasonably sure you will still be with Verizon for the next 2 years, what possible reason would anyone not get the subsidized version, does Verizon offer you cheaper service plans if you bring your own phone?

Grandfathered Unlimited data plan on VZW, which most people now have to pay full price for their phones... and of course over pay for smartphone service plans. I could have stayed on VZW and payed full price for a Moto X with all VZW bloat, but I just left because I finally looked at the other big smartphone carriers and saw I was seriously over paying... plus I now have a Pure Edition with NO Bloat.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Depending on your plan and amount of shared data in the plan Verizon offers a line access discount. The easy way to get the information is to look at the information in the EDGE plan. Their discount for owned phones matched the EDGE plan discounts when I searched out the data. And probably still does since the EDGE plans states the credit continues after you have completed all the payments.