Moto X 2014 lollipop update held back due to VZW

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone here think that the Moto X update to Lollipop depends on Verizon approval? No matter the carrier?

My guess is Google will release Lollipop after Verizon approves it. The timelines that have been put out suggest WiFi devices first. I am wondering if Google will wait till Verizon is ready for the update (pretty sure that's what Apple does). Any thoughts? Or is this nonsensical thinking on my part? Just with VZW having the new Nexus is concern enough for me. I could we them slow down the whole chain. Just to make it look l more unified as a release.

Posted via the Android Central App

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: lollipop update held back due to VZW

Welcome to the world of carrier branding phones! This my friend is why I went with a GSM carrier + Pure Edition Moto X! Although I hope we all get it at the same time. Moto X's updates are one of the reasons why I personally bought the device! Lets hope carrier's don't ruin it.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Anyone here think that the Moto X update to Lollipop depends on Verizon approval? No matter the carrier?

My guess is Google will release Lollipop after Verizon approves it. The timelines that have been put out suggest WiFi devices first. I am wondering if Google will wait till Verizon is ready for the update (pretty sure that's what Apple does). Any thoughts? Or is this nonsensical thinking on my part? Just with VZW having the new Nexus is concern enough for me. I could we them slow down the whole chain. Just to make it look l more unified as a release.

I just ordered the Moto X on Saturday and the main motivation was for the timely updates. As it is, the accessories are very limited so, I am concerned about the updates. I have a Note 3 with Verizon and the updates and Touchwiz are the downfalls of that device. It took me until mid May to get the update on Kit Kat. I am still on 4.4.2 and waiting for them to fix Google wallet which is supposed to roll out with 4.4.4. There is still no word on the update to 4.4.4.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

The VZW Moto X has be very good with updates. The only hiccup was 4.4.3 when a documented performance issue with that build cropped up at the time the were going to release it. So they skipped it and went straight to 4.4.4. I think VZW was actually first with 4.4.2 actually.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the world of carrier branding phones! This my friend is why I went with a GSM carrier + Pure Edition Moto X! Although I hope we all get it at the same time. Moto X's updates are one of the reasons why I personally bought the device! Lets hope carrier's don't ruin it.

As am I. I have the Pure Edition on ATT. My concern is more that Google will hold off on Lollipop+ updates from here on out due to the Nexus being on Verizon. If they hold back the release until Verizon is ready, then they don't have the image problems they did with the GNex. Just wondering if it is a Android wide concession that is being made due to two devices on one carrier.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

My concern is more that Google will hold off on Lollipop+ updates from here on out due to the Nexus being on Verizon.

Google would never let a carrier holdup an OS update.

If they hold back the release until Verizon is ready, then they don't have the image problems they did with the GNex.

Just so that you know. The GNex wasn't released on Verizon through Google. That was a direct sales agreement between Samsung and Verizon to bring that Nexus device to their network. That's why it was such a mess, because Google was essentially cut out of the process. That won't happen with the new Nexus (there's only one model for the U.S.).

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

The VZW Moto X has be very good with updates. The only hiccup was 4.4.3 when a documented performance issue with that build cropped up at the time the were going to release it. So they skipped it and went straight to 4.4.4. I think VZW was actually first with 4.4.2 actually.

Verizon actually did get 4.4.4 before AT&T did.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Verizon actually did get 4.4.4 before AT&T did.

So, then maybe I did not make a mistake ordering the Moto X since most of my reasons why I do not want to go with the Note 4 was because of the slowww updates and Touch Wiz.

Based on the OP, I was rethinking my decision.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

If you want true seamless updates then Nexus + GSM network would have been a good option. But I can understand if they GSM Networks don't wok for you coverage wise. I'm lucky and att works for me every where I go. (Tmo is #2 + the MNVO's they offer) Otherwise Verizon might be a hold up on any phone.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Google will release Lollipop when they're ready to release it, not when some carrier gives them the OK. Assuming the same pattern of behavior as previous Nexus releases, that will be about the same time the Nexus 6 and 9 go on sale.

Motorola will release Lollipop for the Moto X as soon as they can. When you get will depend entirely on whether or not your Moto X is unlocked (i.e., the Pure Edition) or is a carrier-branded device (in which case it will need carrier approval first). Now in the past, Verizon shocked everyone when they approved KitKat for the original Moto X at the same time Google was rolling it out to Nexus devices. That may hold true again this year, but honestly you're better off not expecting it. That way it will be a pleasant surprise rather than a disappointment.

Edit: regarding Apple... Apple releases versions of iOS far in advance of the general roll-out for testing purposes so that roll-out is not delayed for any iPhone. Given that, I highly doubt Apple is beholden to Verizon's schedule; Big Red doesn't want to be known as the carrier that screws with iPhones. More likely, Apple tells Verizon they need to have the new version approved by such-and-such date, and Verizon says, "Yes sir Mr. Cook!"

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

More likely, Apple tells Verizon they need to have the new version approved by such-and-such date, and Verizon says, "Yes sir Mr. Cook!"

Seriously thinking of making my voice launch phrase "Moto, make Mr. Cook cry" or "Moto, make Steve Jobs roll over."

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

So are we all thinking that when the first update to lollipop rolls out the VZW Nexus and Moto X's will be updated as the same time as the GSM versions? That would be huge for VZW instead of the sometime 4 week testing cycle.

ekoulak

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site

Given the track record of the timely updates on the original Verizon moto x, new moto x will be very close to being first inline. People above commenting about note 3, Samsung is to blame more than anyone in that fiasco.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Complete rank speculation here... I wonder if the reason for the sudden VZW motomaker $50 discount sale was to move an inventory of pre-flashed 4.4.4 stock because the X may start shipping with 5.0 at the same time the Nexus6 (and Turbo?) starts shipping with 5.0. If new X's start shipping with 5.0 they should be able to push it to current owners too.

In any event, since VZW is selling the Moto-made N6 I expect they're set-up/testing of 5.0 for moto products must be complete, since pre-inventory production of the N6 has probably begun.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Complete rank speculation here... I wonder if the reason for the sudden VZW motomaker $50 discount sale was to move an inventory of pre-flashed 4.4.4 stock because the X may start shipping with 5.0 at the same time the Nexus6 (and Turbo?) starts shipping with 5.0. If new X's start shipping with 5.0 they should be able to push it to current owners too.

In any event, since VZW is selling the Moto-made N6 I expect they're set-up/testing of 5.0 for moto products must be complete, since pre-inventory production of the N6 has probably begun.

$50 discount sale?? Please let me know. I just ordered the device on Saturday.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

VZW contract phones bought through motomaker were discounted $50 - $49 for 16gb, $99 for 32gb. Don't know whether it applied to full price purchases. Ended yesterday, was in effect on Saturday.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

VZW contract phones bought through motomaker were discounted $50 - $49 for 16gb, $99 for 32gb. Don't know whether it applied to full price purchases. Ended yesterday, was in effect on Saturday.

Think it was contract only. I was looking at both purchase opinions. Only contract showed the reduced price.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Bummer. Thanks.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

My whole experience with this Moto X ordeal has me feeling disappointed which all started with the dealing of Verizon and upgrading my line to ordering through Motomaker. At the same time, being one of the first to receive Lollipop re-energizes me. I hope that the Moto X will live up to my expectation. I am excited about the phone and aware of its downfalls which helps.