Moto X 2014 Why am I not able to browse the Internet while on a call?

mjb0002

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that my moto x on Verizon cannot access the mobile data network while on a telephone call. It works fine if I am connected to wi-fi, but it will not work over the mobile data. In doing some research, it looks like a carrier/phone issue, but some other people I know with an S5 on Verizon say they can use the internet while on a call. Seems strange that my S3 could do this but not a newer phone. I would have thought I would have seen this listed in more reviews if it was an issue. A few items.

1. Can anyone provide more information as to why this is?
2. Is there a setting that can be changed to allow internet browsing while on a call?
3. Will this change in the future?
4. Any other inputs.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Browsing the Internet while on a call

The capability of browsing while on a call is not restricted by the carrier it is restricted by the equipment. I'm not fully briefed on Motos but if you can't access mobile data while on a call it is due to your devices radio set.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

I briefly remember reading that this is something that was going to be eventually fixed with an ota...but don't hold me to that.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

The new moto X is a new, simpler design that does not allow for simultaneous 1x phone and 4g/3g data. This is a step backwards in design.

However, the reasoning behind making the phone simpler is the expectation of voice over LTE (VoLTE) being implemented in the next few months (weeks?) which will allow simultaneous call and data. Instead of manufacturing the phone with more expensive and complicated design and components (from the antenna in the metal band around the phone) for only a month or 2 of benefit, Motorola choose to keep the phone simple.

Motorola/Verizon has said that VoLTE should be enabled shortly. I'm guessing/hoping it will be in just a few weeks with the release of Lollipop.

In the meantime, if you really need simultaneous call and data, make the call using Google hangouts dialer which is essentially VoLTE already.

Posted via the Android Central App

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

I noticed that my moto x on Verizon cannot access the mobile data network while on a telephone call. It works fine if I am connected to wi-fi, but it will not work over the mobile data. In doing some research, it looks like a carrier/phone issue, but some other people I know with an S5 on Verizon say they can use the internet while on a call. Seems strange that my S3 could do this but not a newer phone. I would have thought I would have seen this listed in more reviews if it was an issue. A few items.

1. Can anyone provide more information as to why this is?
2. Is there a setting that can be changed to allow internet browsing while on a call?
3. Will this change in the future?
4. Any other inputs.

The only time you will have both available on a Moto X (2014) is when using Advanced Calling 1.0 (VoLTE). It is promised for later this fall for the Moto X (2014). This is because of a Verizon network enhancement and the design of the phone.

Read this entire page on the Verizon site - especially about half way down - service and availability section.
Advanced Calling 1.0 FAQs | Verizon Wireless

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I'm fairly sure I read something that said Verizon had the issue with this because of their CDMA network, and will be fixing it once they upgrade their systems to allow for VoLTE. But this is NOT an issue on GSM networks like T-Mobile or AT&T. I don't remember what article, but I'm fairly sure it was not that long ago and it might have been here on AC in their main www blog.

mjb0002

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Thank you very much for the feedback. I just wanted to make sure that it was something that would be resolved soon, and it sounds like it will be.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Thank you very much for the feedback. I just wanted to make sure that it was something that would be resolved soon, and it sounds like it will be.

It will be if you stay in a 4GLTE area, otherwise you will have it forever. Advanced Calling only works in 4GLTE. And Advanced Calling is the only you will get voice and data on many of Verizon's newer phones. Droid Turbo is the same situation.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I almost changed to Verizon years ago when I thought they had better phones available. I'm glad I didn't

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Seriously thinking about testing AT&T service at my home again before my VZW renewal locks just because of this. Historically, VZW has been the only reliable service but it's been years since I tried anything else. Just such a hassle since I'll ultimately want a motomaker version wherever I settle. However would be worth it just for the joy of leaving VZW if it works out...

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

as far as I know GSM can do data and voice at the same time ---- ATT and T-Mobile
CDMA lacks the ability to do this ---- Sprint and Verizon

I have been with ATT for many years and have always been able to used data while on a call

afrozeke

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Yeah this is an old CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) limitation. One that I think is overblown but has been quiet for a while.

What was the work around for achieving voice+data before volte? I haven't been on VZW in years...

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Yeah this is an old CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) limitation. One that I think is overblown but has been quiet for a while.

What was the work around for achieving voice+data before volte? I haven't been on VZW in years...

Actually, just recently VZW phones were able to do it, like the OG X. It used LTE signal for data while the call used CDMA if the phone was properly equipped. Now with VoLTE around the corner, it changes a few things. From what I've been reading on the forums, not all positive.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

as far as I know GSM can do data and voice at the same time ---- ATT and T-Mobile
CDMA lacks the ability to do this ---- Sprint and Verizon

I have been with ATT for many years and have always been able to used data while on a call

I'm fairly sure I read something that said Verizon had the issue with this because of their CDMA network, and will be fixing it once they upgrade their systems to allow for VoLTE. But this is NOT an issue on GSM networks like T-Mobile or AT&T. I don't remember what article, but I'm fairly sure it was not that long ago and it might have been here on AC in their main www blog.
Most(if not all) Android phones on Verizon have been able to do simultaneous voice and data sense the implementation of 4g lte radios at least on a 4g connection if not also 3g. Only iPhones(because of radio hardware) have not been able to. It is not a question of the network type per say, but rather the radio hardware and the number of channels the radio has. GSM is easier to implement, but cdma is perfectly capable as well.

That being said, the radio in the new moto x cannot unless it is on volte, which will not be activated until later with a software update.

Sent from my XT1096

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

The capability of browsing while on a call is not restricted by the carrier it is restricted by the equipment. I'm not fully briefed on Motos but if you can't access mobile data while on a call it is due to your devices radio set.

I have no issues using the cellular internet while on a call. AT&Ts network does this very well and has for a long time. Verizon's network has always had this limitation, which is why I don't use them.

Posted via the Android Central App with my Moto X (2014)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I have no issues using the cellular internet while on a call. AT&Ts network does this very well and has for a long time. Verizon's network has always had this limitation, which is why I don't use them.

As I said in my previous post, this is a hardware issue and not necessarily a network issue. Android phones have been able to use voice and data simultaneously on Verizon for a long time now...

Sent from my XT1096

Limjelo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Not always. If the hardware supports it, it's not a problem.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Since LTE. However, it used to be a limit of Verizon's network when 3g was the majority data. At&t had simultaneous voice/data for a long time.

acathrow

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

It's a carrier issue - the carrier works with the phone vendor to create a compatible device and certifies it for the network, if this was a bring-your-own-device situation then it'd be a different story.
The situation is that VZW decided to sell a device in a configuration that has less functionality that all the previous 4G android devices.
They did not disclose this information - which likely would have meant that many of us would have chose a different phone.

Verizon need to release advanced calling for this phone ASAP, currently they won't even give a date for this release.
Sadly even this won't fix the issue. Once advanced calling is enabled on this phone then there's still an outstanding issue. If you have advanced calling enabled and start a call in a 4G area then if you stray into a 3G area your call will drop.
Quoting form the advanced calling FAQ:

Will my call be handed off automatically when I move from the 3G network to the 4G LTE network and vice versa with Advanced Calling 1.0?

No, calls won’t switch between 3G and 4G LTE networks. If your call starts on the 3G network and you move to a 4G LTE coverage area, your call will continue as a 3G/CDMA call. However, if your call starts on the 4G LTE network and you move to a non-4G coverage area, your call will drop.

There's a simple fix to this, using the eSRVCC standard that both ATT and T-Mobile support. No word from VZW about this. I'm trying to find someone in support who can tell me if this is coming but let's be honest it's unlikely I'll find anyone who will know there - first time I called they told me that simultaneous voice and data worked today on the new MotoX, it took a while for them to admit that it required be being on wifi ....

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

My Moto X 2013 worked fine using data and making calls simultaneously.

My Moto X 2014 does not.

Bad job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781