before this phone I had an iPhone 4. Every time it would update it would get a little bit slower, it would work a little bit worse, it would be a little less enjoyable to use. Since I don't generally replace my phones very often, I would like to know if I can back up this phone so it will work just as great as it does today, forever. is there any way to backup the phone completely, operating system and all, so a year from now I can restore it to the way it was from the factory, like you can with a laptop? I mean this phone works great right now, I didn't even write this, it wrote it for me. It's great.
    10-28-2014 07:47 PM
    Yes and no. Every Android phone has the current OS backed up to a recovery partition in the memory which gets accessed when you do a factory reset. However, when the OS gets upgraded (as it will before long to Android 5.0), the recovery partition will get updated as well and you won't be able to go back to KitKat 4.4.4 (what it has right now) without unlocking your bootloader and manually flashing the old ROM. If you don't update the phone though, then you'll always have whatever version it currently has as the factory reset.

As for apps, you can redownload any apps you had installed from Google Play as long as they're still available, and when you first sign in to your Google account on a reset phone it will ask you if you wish to do so. This will also restore your wifi access points and passwords, bookmarks, Chrome passwords (if any), and maybe some app data, depending on the app. You can also log back into any cloud-connected apps you have (once you reinstall them) and it will be like you never left. Some apps have their own backup and restore functions you can set up and use, including a lot of games (generally you have to sign in via Facebook, Google, or some third-party system to backup game progress).
    10-29-2014 12:05 AM
    You should not see the slowdown you did with Apple on upgrades though. When KitKat came out older phones that were upgraded got faster. Google optimized the OS to work with slower phones so when you upgrade you are not slowing your phone down like you did with Apple. I understand coming from an iPhone myself. My 4s was nowhere near as snappy as it was when I got it even if I did the factory reset. I see my mom’s iPhone 5 on iOS 8 and how much slower it got. Even if you turn off all animation the phone is not the same. You will not see that on Android after KitKat. Google has to make their OS work on a phone with much less power than the Moto X so this phone handles it just fine.
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-29-2014 07:56 AM
    thank you guys for the replies. since this phone won't get slow like my iphone did, i'll just let it do its thing.

with the iphone, i felt like they didn't care how much slower the updates made my old device. i felt like they were slowly trying to force me to upgrade. once they gave me iOS7, i even had to let the battery die to unfreeze it a couple times. i'm happy to hear that android won't get like that.
    10-29-2014 09:39 AM
    This will also restore your wifi access points and passwords,...
    This kind of disturbs me -- I don't at all like the idea of my network password (and others) being stored by Google. I'm fine if they want to store network names but passwords should still require user input.
    10-29-2014 12:41 PM
    This kind of disturbs me -- I don't at all like the idea of my network password (and others) being stored by Google. I'm fine if they want to store network names but passwords should still require user input.
    I believe you can turn this feature off in the settings if you don't want it to transfer access points and their passwords over. I find it very convenient myself, however.
    10-29-2014 06:21 PM
    I believe you can turn this feature off in the settings if you don't want it to transfer access points and their passwords over. I find it very convenient myself, however.
    Which settings? Phone? Wifi? Google? Don't think I've ever seen it. Thx.
    10-29-2014 07:15 PM
    Which settings? Phone? Wifi? Google? Don't think I've ever seen it. Thx.
    Settings -> Back-up & reset. It looks like you can't single out the wifi passwords, though. They're included in the other backup settings.
    Robisan likes this.
    10-30-2014 10:31 AM
    Interesting. And disturbing. Google servers essentially have the keys to access every Android user's network attached computer/storage drive(s). Seems like a massive privacy and data breach waiting to happen, especially with increasing use of NAS and the requirement for many using cloud print of keeping a host computer running 24/7.
    10-30-2014 12:33 PM
    Wiping the cache partition is something you can do every so often (twice a year?) to keep it running smooth. This has no impact to any of your data.

Also Helium is an app you can use to backup your text messages and apps. Possibly also photos.

Sent from my XT1080M
    11-01-2014 10:18 PM