Moto X Motomakre unit return - Is this normal? Is this how long it normally takes?

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
@tech_fan Best I can suggest is to get a manager at a VZW corporate store to take ownership of your problem. Identify the VZW outcome you want and have the manager own the resolution. That means all results come through him/her. If a new phone is ordered and not in stock, the manager personally gets the product delivered to his/her store to hand to you. The manager personally gets the computer/system issues resolved. Any problems down the road come back to him/her. Any refund due from Motorola is another issue, but w/r/t solving VZW issues, if it was me I'd find one person (manager level or higher) who I could look in the eye and get commitment that they, personally, will own and solve my problems.

I finally heard back from the store manager this morning when I checked my texts. So, this now seems to be a Motorola problem. Although, they have verified the return through FedEx, they need to get a cancellation code from Motorola before they can cancel my current contract. So, if Motorola does not supply one by 12/2/14, then they have to resubmit another cancellation request which could drag this on much longer.

So, this would be in line with the one person telling me that this matter could take up to 4-6 weeks which also falls in line with Motorola not refunding the credit card back for the case

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I finally heard back from the store manager this morning when I checked my texts. So, this now seems to be a Motorola problem. Although, they have verified the return through FedEx, they need to get a cancellation code from Motorola before they can cancel my current contract.

MyVZW still shows my contract renewal this am so I'll be dealing with customer service on this issue sometime today. Will see if I get a different story, since I was told yesterday by a CSR that a manager would cancel my renewal "within an hour" based on the fedex receipt.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
MyVZW still shows my contract renewal this am so I'll be dealing with customer service on this issue sometime today. Will see if I get a different story, since I was told yesterday by a CSR that a manager would cancel my renewal "within an hour" based on the fedex receipt.

Hopefully you will have better results. I was told by a number of the supervisors, that they cannot cancel contracts. It has to be be handled by another department that we do not have access to. Let me know how yours goes. If I have to wait until mid December before this gets ironed out, at least I will have a great selection of phones to choose from by then. :)

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully you will have better results. I was told by a number of the supervisors, that they cannot cancel contracts. It has to be be handled by another department that we do not have access to. Let me know how yours goes. If I have to wait until mid December before this gets ironed out, at least I will have a great selection of phones to choose from by then. :)

Guess I'm still a bit confused - if you're going to re-up on a new contract with a new phone when this is resolved, why not see if they'll just restore your upgrade eligibility so you can do so now? At that point the whole contract cancellation issue is moot. When I told VZW that I was interested on getting another phone (on contract) they quickly restored my rights to do that - assuming there is no snafu if/when I tried to do so. I understand getting your money back from Moto is another issue, but at least this gets you VZW issues resolved with a new device.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully you will have better results. I was told by a number of the supervisors, that they cannot cancel contracts. It has to be be handled by another department that we do not have access to. Let me know how yours goes.

What you've been told is BS. I just finished a call with a first level CSR who cancelled my contract extension and credited my account for the activation fee. He send me text message confirmation. I've logged on the MyVZW and all changes now show - contract is now listed as month-to-month and my current balance due is $40 lower. CSR Justin was completely professional and helpful, handling the whole thing in about ten minutes.

To be clear - the only documentation I provided to VZW was a FEDEX tracking number showing my phone was returned to Moto within 14 days. There are also notes in my account going back to day I deactivated the X to return it, which matches the FEDEX shipping date, but they didn't say anything about needing a "cancellation code" or anything from Moto, nor was there any indication that they had received anything from Moto. IMO VZW acted entirely based on my FEDEX documentation.

Hope this helps. Call 800-922-0204 and ask for Justin.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
What you've been told is BS. I just finished a call with a first level CSR who cancelled my contract extension and credited my account for the activation fee. He send me text message confirmation. I've logged on the MyVZW and all changes now show - contract is now listed as month-to-month and my current balance due is $40 lower. CSR Justin was completely professional and helpful, handling the whole thing in about ten minutes.

To be clear - the only documentation I provided to VZW was a FEDEX tracking number showing my phone was returned to Moto within 14 days. There are also notes in my account going back to day I deactivated the X to return it, which matches the FEDEX shipping date, but they didn't say anything about needing a "cancellation code" or anything from Moto, nor was there any indication that they had received anything from Moto. IMO VZW acted entirely based on my FEDEX documentation.

Hope this helps. Call 800-922-0204 and ask for Justin.

Thanks for the information. I will call and try to speak to him. They did restore my upgrade eligibility but, the system will not allow me to upgrade to another device until I am released from my contract. Maybe they handle the Edge contracts differently? I did an Early Edge on my line to upgrade to the Moto X. Its interesting how yours was so easy to resolve. For me, they have 3 pages of dialog on my account about this one issue. All the reps, have verified through FedEx that the item was returned back to Motorola on the 27th. They have verified that 4 times with Motorola.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
They did restore my upgrade eligibility but, the system will not allow me to upgrade to another device until I am released from my contract.

Umm, multiple supervisors don't see the Catch-22 in that? What good is upgrade eligibility if you can't use it? This is exactly what I worried about when they tried to satisfy me by just restoring my upgrade - what would happen when I tried to use it while still showing a contract extension.

Maybe they handle the Edge contracts differently?

Maybe. There's a financing element to the Edge program that's not present in the contract only program. Since the edge contract is still in place are they expecting you to continue making monthly payments on the X? If not, what exactly is the status of the edge financing contract?

Perhaps you should threaten to get your local or state regulatory agency involved. Be friendly about it, but explain the unacceptable delay in resolving the matter leaves you no choice. VZW probably wants to avoid regulatory investigations if they can.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Umm, multiple supervisors don't see the Catch-22 in that? What good is upgrade eligibility if you can't use it? This is exactly what I worried about when they tried to satisfy me by just restoring my upgrade - what would happen when I tried to use it while still showing a contract extension.

Maybe. There's a financing element to the Edge program that's not present in the contract only program. Since the edge contract is still in place are they expecting you to continue making monthly payments on the X? If not, what exactly is the status of the edge financing contract?

Perhaps you should threaten to get your local or state regulatory agency involved. Be friendly about it, but explain the unacceptable delay in resolving the matter leaves you no choice. VZW probably wants to avoid regulatory investigations if they can.

That will be my next step to contact the regulatory agency.

I did wind up calling the number you stated and asked for Justin. Not much luck with that because I guess when you call, you get transferred into various call centers. So, this time, I insisted to speak to someone above a supervisor. She was not able to do that so, I insisted that I speak to someone who can cancel contracts. She transferred me to this place called CORE who normally cancels contracts but, unless I bought through a reseller, they could not help. They wound up transferring me back to the same CSR I had dealt with. During the course of the conversation, I heard lots of umm and let me read the notes. I insisted that I speak to someone else other than a supervisor. Since I was not getting anywhere with her, I told her I needed to get off the phone. While I was on the phone, I decided to google Verizon Wireless Corporate Office and found a local one in my area. So, I called that one and got more traction. Supposedly, all of this might get resolved tomorrow morning. I will know tomorrow. The Corporate Office didn't ask for a silly code, all they wanted was the FedEx tracking number to get it processed.

Now for another turn, supposedly when a contract is either paid in full or cancelled, there is a 30 day hold on your account for not being able to order a new device. I read that somewhere on these boards and heard about this coming from the Corporate Office as well. Not sure if its specific to the Edge agreement or the 2 year agreements.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Now for another turn, supposedly when a contract is either paid in full or cancelled, there is a 30 day hold on your account for not being able to order a new device. I read that somewhere on these boards and heard about this coming from the Corporate Office as well. Not sure if its specific to the Edge agreement or the 2 year agreements.

Not sure why that would be for a PIF contract. Suppose I could understand after a cancelled contract ... although what is someone supposed to do if they don't have a working device? VZW is going to make them wait 30 days? Pay full price? Honestly, the more I hear about Edge the more I'm inclined to either stay on-contract or self-finance by buying outright.

Good luck with corporate. Hopefully they'll make this right for you.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update to my never ending saga. Still not released from the Moto X contract. There is a glitch in the Verizon computer that shows that I have not ordered the phone. On the Motorola side it shows that I have and used the PIN Code. Nothing can be done until this PIN Code expires in the Verizon system which will be supposedly December 2. Then the contract can be terminated and my upgrade be reinstated. Unfortunately, nobody in Verizon can override this issue from IT to supervisors to supervisors above other supervisors and managers as well.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
There is a glitch in the Verizon computer that shows that I have not ordered the phone.

You'd think that if the system shows you haven't ordered the phone they could just issue you a refund. Evidently Edge financing + pin codes for MotoMaker can lead to bad craziness.

Motorola issued me a full refund - no restocking fee - so I'm happy. In weird Motorola fashion they did the refund in two parts, $25 when the phone came back and the balance about a week later. They never notified me of either refund and I only found out by calling my credit card company.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
You'd think that if the system shows you haven't ordered the phone they could just issue you a refund. Evidently Edge financing + pin codes for MotoMaker can lead to bad craziness.

Motorola issued me a full refund - no restocking fee - so I'm happy. In weird Motorola fashion they did the refund in two parts, $25 when the phone came back and the balance about a week later. They never notified me of either refund and I only found out by calling my credit card company.

Yeah I heard its pretty seamless. In some ways it annoys me about my situation but in another I am beyond annoyed. Hopefully this PIN code thing will be it in about another week. If not, I would hate for this to keep dragging on forever.

I think that there might have been something else that might have contributed to it. When I ordered it the first time, the Verizon system was updating so, I never got the email with the PIN Code. The next day I had to call back and they had no record of the order so, they had to do the order all over again.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I think that there might have been something else that might have contributed to it. When I ordered it the first time, the Verizon system was updating so, I never got the email with the PIN Code. The next day I had to call back and they had no record of the order so, they had to do the order all over again.

Well then, it seems to me they ought to give you two refunds. :D

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Quick update to my situation. My Edge contract still remains not cancelled. Apparently, the 2 year contracts are easier to cancel than others. The main problem now, is that since the device was not returned back to Verizon and instead Motorola, they do not have concrete evidence that it was returned.

This matter has been going to the next level and the next level and so on. Today was the first time, I heard anything about what the hold up was. I am hoping it gets resolved soon. The phone was returned back on October 25

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18