Moto X Motomakre unit return - Is this normal? Is this how long it normally takes?

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I returned the Moto X back to Motorola on October 23. Verizon screwed up the order only giving me a couple of days to evaluate the device before I had to return it. I had some inconsistencies in the statements regarding the return and did not want to chance Verizon telling me that I could not return the unit.

Starting October 25, I spent 2 hours on the phone between Motorola and Verizon trying to get my upgrade reversed so, I could order another phone. I have put Motorola and Verizon on a conference call and spoke to several supervisors. I also have gone into a Corporate Store and spoke to the manager there who agrees that it should not be on my account.

It is November 5, I have checked My Verizon daily and it still shows that I have a contract with the Motorola phone. Basically, my account remains not adjusted. The last time I have spoken with Motorola and Verizon together was on Monday. In speaking with the Motorola rep, she told me that it normally takes 2-3 hours on a call with Verizon to get this matter straightened out.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you gotten any resolution on this yet?

I started my return a couple of days ago and hope I have better results. My 14 days conclude tonight (Thursday) and I want to make sure my contract gets cancelled and upgrade rights returned.

Tuesday I started by doing a chat with Motorola to get an RMA. During the chat I reiterated that I was within 14-days and confirmed that Motorola would inform VZW upon return of the phone. I did this by chat so I could have a transcript for documentation. They emailed the transcript and fedex/rma info. I got a scan in receipt from fedex on Tuesday.

I also called VZW on Tuesday to have them deactivate the X and reactivate my old phone. Again confirming my 14-day window, that I'm returning the phone postmarked on Tuesday. I don't have that in writing, but I figure the deactivation of the X has to be in their system for that date.

Today (thursday) I got an email from moto confirming receipt of my rma package. So far, so good. I think I have sufficient documentation to ensure contract cancellation etc. Now, how long it will take for Moto to confirm with VZW and for VZW's system to show my upgrade eligibility is anyone guess. Hope I don't have to spend hours on the phone like you did.

anon(2345131)

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Returning any device and marking an account eligible for upgrade is simple, especially if going on a 2yr contract. Lazy VZW for not correcting that immediately or confirming what's pretty simple to get done.

If bought one out right, then you simply won't have any issues.

Bad customer experience IMO.

cbsevenfifty

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I returned the Moto X back to Motorola on October 23. Verizon screwed up the order only giving me a couple of days to evaluate the device before I had to return it. I had some inconsistencies in the statements regarding the return and did not want to chance Verizon telling me that I could not return the unit.

Starting October 25, I spent 2 hours on the phone between Motorola and Verizon trying to get my upgrade reversed so, I could order another phone. I have put Motorola and Verizon on a conference call and spoke to several supervisors. I also have gone into a Corporate Store and spoke to the manager there who agrees that it should not be on my account.

It is November 5, I have checked My Verizon daily and it still shows that I have a contract with the Motorola phone. Basically, my account remains not adjusted. The last time I have spoken with Motorola and Verizon together was on Monday. In speaking with the Motorola rep, she told me that it normally takes 2-3 hours on a call with Verizon to get this matter straightened out.

I had the same issue with AT&T, only I blame Motorola.

I called AT&T the day I sent the phone back (Oct. 22nd) and they said as soon as Motorola confirms receiving shipment of the phone the upgrade will be reversed. Yesterday I called again because the phone still showed I had the Moto X and wasn't eligible to upgrade until 2016. After about 2 hours and 2 calls to Motorola, AT&T called them. After they talked to Motorola they called me back and said that they have overridden Motorola and reversed the upgrade. Motorola was apparently asking them to withhold reversing the upgrade until Nov. 15, according to the AT&T rep. They have had my phone since 9:47 AM on Oct. 23 according to the FedEx tracking label that was signed for. It's now the 10th business day and I just got the upgrade reversed and $72 credited on my AT&T bill because they were still charging me for an upgrade and nearly a month of prorated $40 contract phone prices because Motorola never confirmed they had the phone.

Also, I have yet to receive a refund and every time I call into Motorola they keep moving the date farther and farther back. Wednesday it was Monday (11th business day), yesterday when I was on a 3-way call with AT&T and Motorola the CS rep said Tuesday (12th business day), and AT&T said Motorola wanted them to wait til next Saturday (1 day after the 15th business day and over 3 weeks after receiving the phone). Well, today is the 10th business day and their policy is 7-10 business days. If I don't see the money back in my bank account today then I'm going to be pissed.

This is definitely the last Motorola product I buy directly from them.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you gotten any resolution on this yet?

I started my return a couple of days ago and hope I have better results. My 14 days conclude tonight (Thursday) and I want to make sure my contract gets cancelled and upgrade rights returned.

Tuesday I started by doing a chat with Motorola to get an RMA. During the chat I reiterated that I was within 14-days and confirmed that Motorola would inform VZW upon return of the phone. I did this by chat so I could have a transcript for documentation. They emailed the transcript and fedex/rma info. I got a scan in receipt from fedex on Tuesday.

I also called VZW on Tuesday to have them deactivate the X and reactivate my old phone. Again confirming my 14-day window, that I'm returning the phone postmarked on Tuesday. I don't have that in writing, but I figure the deactivation of the X has to be in their system for that date.

Today (thursday) I got an email from moto confirming receipt of my rma package. So far, so good. I think I have sufficient documentation to ensure contract cancellation etc. Now, how long it will take for Moto to confirm with VZW and for VZW's system to show my upgrade eligibility is anyone guess. Hope I don't have to spend hours on the phone like you did.

I think that I might have it resolved.

Since my last posting, I have had several 3 way conference calls with Motorola and countless conversations with Verizon. Some of Verizon reps laugh where they hear I returned it back to Motorola because the Motomaker concept is foreign to them. For me, the chat with Motorola was useless. You need to call them directly. They also need to be on a conference call with Verizon. When you call Verizon, they will need the RMA number and FedEx tracking number to confirm that it was received.

Truthfully, I think both sides do not know what is going on and both sides are not familiar with the process. On Wednesday evening I called Verizon and the rep told me that I was supposed to get a call back on Thursday. Thursday rolled around and no call so, Thursday night I decided to call Verizon. That call was starting to go south real fast so, I insisted in speaking with a Supervisor. After about an hour through the process, it took a short while to get it reversed. Now for the strange part, when I log into My Verizon it still shows the Moto X contract. When I call them or do #UPG, its consistent with what the rep told me, which is that its fixed.

Next time, if I want to do something like Motomaker, I will deal directly with Motorola for the phone purchase. This PIN process was confusing to both sides.

cbsevenfifty

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Next time, if I want to do something like Motomaker, I will deal directly with Motorola for the phone purchase. This PIN process was confusing to both sides.

I think you'll find it equally as bad dealing with Motorola directly, if not worse.

I just got off the phone with Motorola dealing with my issue. They've had the phone since the 23rd. Today is actually the 12th business day since they received the phone. I have yet to be refunded the cost of the phone. After calls throughout the week I was told I would receive the money on Wednesday (11/5), then Wednesday I was told I would have to wait til Monday (11/10, 13th business day), then I was told Tuesday (11/11, 14th business day), and now today I just found out from the finance department that the refund process for my case was not even started and now it's going to be another 7-10 business days, making it 19-22 business days after receiving the phone.

I am now filing a complaint.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll find it equally as bad dealing with Motorola directly, if not worse.

I just got off the phone with Motorola dealing with my issue. They've had the phone since the 23rd. Today is actually the 12th business day since they received the phone. I have yet to be refunded the cost of the phone. After calls throughout the week I was told I would receive the money on Wednesday (11/5), then Wednesday I was told I would have to wait til Monday (11/10, 13th business day), then I was told Tuesday (11/11, 14th business day), and now today I just found out from the finance department that the refund process for my case was not even started and now it's going to be another 7-10 business days, making it 19-22 business days after receiving the phone.

Wow, That is good to know. I thought it was both of them. I was debating about ordering the Moto X through Motorola Credit. Now, I think I will decline the offer and stick to another device. I would have thought it was different.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Actually now, remembering back to the order process....how quickly I forgot. I ordered the device and was given an expected ship date. Called Verizon and they provided a tracking number some shipment. Verizon speculated based on the weight, it was the phone. I called Motorola and they insisted that the product was still being built. I told them its odd how Verizon was able to produce a valid tracking number coming from Texas and they are telling me it has not shipped.

The next day, Verizon sent me an email telling me that the product had been shipped. Called Motorola back up and they insisted that it had not shipped. By the time, I got the product, Motorola finally admitted to it being shipped. That was a nightmare.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Just checked MyVerizon - they show my line with my old phone, not the Moto X, but they still show my contract renewal with an expiration in 2016. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get any action from Moto on my refund and/or VZW reversing my contract. If it becomes necessary I think I have enough documentation for VZW and to file a dispute with my credit card company.

cbsevenfifty

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Wow, That is good to know. I thought it was both of them. I was debating about ordering the Moto X through Motorola Credit. Now, I think I will decline the offer and stick to another device. I would have thought it was different.

As soon as Motorola finally gets around to giving me a refund I think I'm just going to pick up a Nexus 5 and wait it out. None of the phones have really impressed me this year so getting the Nexus 5 doesn't break the wallet and I'll save my upgrade for next year if anything comes out that wows me. I'd really like to check out WP but the only thing that isn't ridiculous is another Verizon exclusive.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Just checked MyVerizon - they show my line with my old phone, not the Moto X, but they still show my contract renewal with an expiration in 2016. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get any action from Moto on my refund and/or VZW reversing my contract. If it becomes necessary I think I have enough documentation for VZW and to file a dispute with my credit card company.

Have you tried calling Verizon? Forgive me if I didn't see any previous post. My brother returned his turbo on the 2nd and his line still says upgrade 10/30/2016 (but now is also eligible for an early upgrade???) Lol. I returned a custom X in the Verizon store for the Turbo without issue. I then returned my Turbo as well due to volume/wifi reception and after, I had to call and a supervisor had to manually update my account. I now have another custom X on the way.

Posted via the Android Central App

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Made another call to Verizon tonight about the fact that #UPG says I am due for an upgrade but My Verizon shows a contract for the Moto X. When I spoke to the CSR for Verizon she told me that I am still on contract for the Moto X. So, I had to explain the whole thing again (Must be at least the 30th time, no exaggeration). Another manual thingy was created.

Not sure what is going on at this point. Looks like I did not get anywhere this time or the last time or the time before that, or the time before that or the time before that or the time..............................At this point, its all on Verizon. Its even documented in my file that they have verified the return of the item 4 times and have submitted 5 manual attempts to reverse the contract.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried calling Verizon?

I called VZW on Tuesday to notify them I was returning the X. Had them deactivate the X and reactivate my previous phone. Confirmed that my 14-day ended two days later (end of business Thurs), so I was within 14 days. VZW rep said they couldn't cancel contract until phone is returned. Also told me as long as postmark for return was within 14 days I'm good. I have FEDEX scan in receipt from Tuesday and a Moto email on Thurs confirming receipt of package. So I think I'm good documentation wise.

Moto just got the return Thursday. I'm giving them until end of next week to process refund and notify VZW. Currently thinking about waiting until I can get either the Turbo or another X pre-loaded with L, so getting my upgrade back in place is not super urgent. Still, given other experiences here I'm keeping a wary eye on the situation.

...adding, I had zero problems with the ordering and delivery of my X. Notified every step of the way and delivered early. Hoping for the same on the return.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I called VZW on Tuesday to notify them I was returning the X. Had them deactivate the X and reactivate my previous phone. Confirmed that my 14-day ended two days later (end of business Thurs), so I was within 14 days. VZW rep said they couldn't cancel contract until phone is returned. Also told me as long as postmark for return was within 14 days I'm good. I have FEDEX scan in receipt from Tuesday and a Moto email on Thurs confirming receipt of package. So I think I'm good documentation wise.

Moto just got the return Thursday. I'm giving them until end of next week to process refund and notify VZW. Currently thinking about waiting until I can get either the Turbo or another X pre-loaded with L, so getting my upgrade back in place is not super urgent. Still, given other experiences here I'm keeping a wary eye on the situation.

...adding, I had zero problems with the ordering and delivery of my X. Notified every step of the way and delivered early. Hoping for the same on the return.

Keep us posted. Mine today still says I have the Moto X under contract. I was told that after they submit the manual reversal paperwork, it will take up to 7-10 days to correct the issue. So far, it appears as though the 7-10 days is going to be the one as I am now going on the 8th day from the first time it was submitted.

11/8/14 - I was told by Verizon that even though it shows on MyVerizon with the Moto X contract, in their system it shows that I am upgrade eligible on 11/6/14. I was assured that if I walked into a Verizon store and bought another phone, I would be able to. I went into the Verizon store and made a fool of myself after waiting for 45 minutes only to hear that their system would not allow the upgrade. I then called 611 and they told me I could order the phone. They tried to order the new phone and they were not able to. Matter was referred to a supervisor who said that they could call me back after they figured out what was wrong.

The last 7 days has been all Verizon at this point. They have verified numerous times that I have returned the phone. You would think that at some point, this would get fixed.

Last edited:

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Just to update you guys, its November 12 and still no resolution. I have 4 requests in through various supervisors at different levels to cancel the contract with the Moto X and reinstate my line the way it was before. One superisor I spoke with told me that this process could take up to 4-6 weeks. Its good that I have a working phone or I might be more persistent.

This has been an experience I tell you. Not one I want to relive.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
MyVerizon still showed my contract renewed so I decided to see if I could get an update on what's happening. Called Motorola and they were a black hole of information - I literally could feel the brain cells being sucked out of my head. Two separate departments could not tell me the status of anything whatsoever, other than confirming they received my return. If I don't get a refund confirmation after 10 days I'll have to call my credit card company to confirm the status.

Did a chat with VZW - they took my FEDEX tracking number to confirm my return. They agreed to reinstate my upgrade eligibility, however they could not reverse my two-year renewal via chat. Said I must call customer service about the contract. Called CS and after long wait I was told a supervisor would reverse the two-year renewal "within an hour."

Just checked MyVerizon again about four hours later - upgrade eligibility has been restored, however I still show a contract expiration in 2016. We'll see what it shows tomorrow. Just another day in the wireless telecoms swamp...

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Just to update you guys, its November 12 and still no resolution. I have 4 requests in through various supervisors at different levels to cancel the contract with the Moto X and reinstate my line the way it was before. One superisor I spoke with told me that this process could take up to 4-6 weeks. Its good that I have a working phone or I might be more persistent.

This has been an experience I tell you. Not one I want to relive.

When this is resolved do you intend to get another VZW device under contract? If so, perhaps you can persuade VZW to reinstate your upgrade rights so you can do so. At that point the contract extension issue is moot since you'd extending anyway. I assume you can prove to VZW the X was returned.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
When this is resolved do you intend to get another VZW device under contract? If so, perhaps you can persuade VZW to reinstate your upgrade rights so you can do so. At that point the contract extension issue is moot since you'd extending anyway. I assume you can prove to VZW the X was returned.

Yep. Its been documented several times in their system that it was returned. I also have electronic proof that it was delivered to Motorola. I just looked at the date that the contract was started, which is close to one month ago. This is the first time they have screwed up a contract. Its definitely not the first that the account was messed up.

Actually, Motorola still has to refund me back the cost of the case. I had to buy the case separate as its not included in the PIN code that Verizon gave to me.

One thing for sure, I will not go through Motorola again to buy a phone through Verizon. If I go through Motorola again, its to deal directly with them instead of this back and forth stuff.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
MyVerizon still showed my contract renewed so I decided to see if I could get an update on what's happening. Called Motorola and they were a black hole of information - I literally could feel the brain cells being sucked out of my head. Two separate departments could not tell me the status of anything whatsoever, other than confirming they received my return. If I don't get a refund confirmation after 10 days I'll have to call my credit card company to confirm the status.

Did a chat with VZW - they took my FEDEX tracking number to confirm my return. They agreed to reinstate my upgrade eligibility, however they could not reverse my two-year renewal via chat. Said I must call customer service about the contract. Called CS and after long wait I was told a supervisor would reverse the two-year renewal "within an hour."

Just checked MyVerizon again about four hours later - upgrade eligibility has been restored, however I still show a contract expiration in 2016. We'll see what it shows tomorrow. Just another day in the wireless telecoms swamp...

Sounds like yours is going better than mine. They were telling me that the change would take effect within 24 hours after they spoke to me. That never happened. One part of their system shows that everything is back to normal and another part of their system still shows the Moto X. So, when I try and process an upgrade, the system will not allow them or me.

I attempted to order an IPhone 6 plus for my wife 3 times last month. The last time, they tried to process it manually. It never got processed. So, when I was in the store about a week ago, they processed it for me. When I went to check on it this weekend in My Verizon, it says that its not a valid order number. However, when I call 611 and also go in the store, they can see it. Last night, I got a confirmation that her phone was mailed out. The interesting part, is the system shows that the 14 day return policy has already expired according to another email that they sent. That is odd.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
@tech_fan Best I can suggest is to get a manager at a VZW corporate store to take ownership of your problem. Identify the VZW outcome you want and have the manager own the resolution. That means all results come through him/her. If a new phone is ordered and not in stock, the manager personally gets the product delivered to his/her store to hand to you. The manager personally gets the computer/system issues resolved. Any problems down the road come back to him/her. Any refund due from Motorola is another issue, but w/r/t solving VZW issues, if it was me I'd find one person (manager level or higher) who I could look in the eye and get commitment that they, personally, will own and solve my problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol