Smart Lock menu option not found in Security setings.

Ripper77

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
After the 5.0 update, I went to add my Moto 360 as a trusted device and when I went to the Smart Lock menu option under Security settings I was surprised that there wasn't a Smart Lock menu option in there.

This is right out of the release notes from motorola: "Android Lollipop adds native support for allowing trusted devices to keep your phone unlocked (such as your Moto 360, a Bluetooth car kit or headset, etc.). Smart Lock replaces the prior trusted device capability in your Motorola phone. Note that you will need to add your trusted devices back after the transition to Lollipop in the Security settings menu under Smart Lock."

Has anybody noticed this option missing when your Moto X 2014 was upgraded to Lollipop.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Its not there ??????

Posted via my Moto X(2ndGen) ??????

Are you using an exchange account? The security policy from that may lock that setting out as mine does.

If so, use a program like Nine to have your exchange and you can set it to have application security instead of it locking down your whole phone.

Ripper77

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks shamelin for your response. I only use Gmail on my phone and don't have any exchange accounts.

Im still puzzled as to why this option is not found under my security settings.

Posted via my Moto X(2ndGen) ??????

Last edited:

SShadow1974

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Enable it first in

Security -> Trust agents
When I first installed lollipop, I set up smart lock. I now do not have the option in my settings. Also when I go into trust agents, there is nothing there. Just a blank screen.
The only thing I can think of that may have affected it, and I think I had this issue before I did this... I upgraded Google play services to the latest version via apk update.

SShadow1974

May 10, 2010
Visit site
It is the Google services update. Tried to post link to proper update for n5 but I don't have enough posts.
Make sure you don't install a version that the last three digits starts with a 0, must be 4 or 7 for lollipop.

ChillyMutt

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Same here .... go to Settings > Security > ... no Smart Lock
I get similar Security screen as Ripper and blank page under Trust Agents.
Was a fix ever found for this?

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Same here .... go to Settings > Security > ... no Smart Lock
I get similar Security screen as Ripper and blank page under Trust Agents.
Was a fix ever found for this?

You need to have the proper GP Svcs installed. If you choose the KitKat APK it will make that setting disappear. By now, Google has rolled out the update fully in the play store, so just uninstall the update reinstall using the play store.

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Had the same issue at first: Go to settings > security, scroll down to Trust agents and turn on Smart Lock.

Also I think you need to have Google Play Services 6.5 for it to work.

ChillyMutt

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I did have the wrong GP Svcs installed. The Lollipop one was not in Play Store so I side loaded it.
I now have Smart Lock Option and within that I have "Trusted Devices" and "Trusted Face" .... I briefly had "Trusted Locations" ... but for some reason that is now gone. I probably changed some setting that disabled that (Trusted Location) - any ideas what that could be?
So frustrating. I really like the power/flexibility of Android os but their user experience leaves much to be desired.

ChillyMutt

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Been on iOS for a year. Forgot how challenging Android could be for non engineer types.

Got Smart Lock and Trusted Locations working. So for anyone else who runs into this ...
Short story - I had a KitKat version of Google Play Services installed. I "Disabled" the KitKat version ... which actually uninstalled that version and reverted back to 6.1... I then installed the correct Google Play Services for my device/Lollipop and working fine so far.

Long story - as stated above by SShadow, you need to have the Google Play Services ending in 7xx or 4xx ... and apparently the 7,4 indicate LOLLIPOP version. The "xx" indicated which variant your need - determined by what you currently have installed. I had 6.1...738 so I looked for a 6.5 version of Google Play Services ending in "738" could not find one so I tried one ending in "438" .... apparently the 4 or 7 (indicating Lollipop) are interchangeable.

Works now. Horrendous user experience by Google though.

Brian Galada

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
So have Lollipop and the 6.5.87 version of Google Play services ending with 438 but Trusted Face under Smartlock doesn't work as I keep getting Google error message, "Unfortunately Google Play services has stopped". Any ideas?

texstar420

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After the 5.0 update, I went to add my Moto 360 as a trusted device and when I went to the Smart Lock menu option under Security settings I was surprised that there wasn't a Smart Lock menu option in there.

This is right out of the release notes from motorola: "Android Lollipop adds native support for allowing trusted devices to keep your phone unlocked (such as your Moto 360, a Bluetooth car kit or headset, etc.). Smart Lock replaces the prior trusted device capability in your Motorola phone. Note that you will need to add your trusted devices back after the transition to Lollipop in the Security settings menu under Smart Lock."

Has anybody noticed this option missing when your Moto X 2014 was upgraded to Lollipop.

Okay I had the same problem and just fixed it by going to apps >chose Google play services it uninstall updates was grey so I clicked disable >unchecked the second one forgot what it was that was using Google play services >got some error saying Google play services wasn't working >was now able to click uninstall updates >then installed the latest 434 Google play services here- won't let me post the link so Google it > then went to trusted agents I think and turned smart lock on. Then it showed up in security. Hope this helps every one and hope I'm not trying to fix something that was already fixed lol!

texstar420

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree Google shouldn't have issues like this but glad we have a great forum support group to help with these things. We have androids cause we're smart people and can figure these things out lol! Btw I am so happy I refused my Nexus 6 delivery and got the moto x 2014 pure edition cause the software is sick and the size is perfect. Almost the same size as my Nexus 5 but better screen and features and more SLIM!

texstar420

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So have Lollipop and the 6.5.87 version of Google Play services ending with 438 but Trusted Face under Smartlock doesn't work as I keep getting Google error message, "Unfortunately Google Play services has stopped". Any ideas?
Yeah you have to disable Google play services and unintelligible the updates then install the 434 Google play services!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781