one of these phones will be my first android phone (yaaay), coming from N8. I really love the stock android but it looks like the z3 compact is better in terms of specs. I want a phone that is future proof, fast, durable enough, and worth it. Which phone do you prefer?
    11-21-2014 10:06 AM
    They're both good phones that will last a couple years with no issue. I looked at the Z3 and Z3 Compact myself and ultimately I decided the feel and materials of the X were better than those of the Compact. I've also gotten used to larger phones, so the Compact's smaller size was a strike against it in my book. Finally, while Sony has a fairly light hand when it comes to mucking with stock Android, Motorola's is barely a caress and what they do add is genuinely useful.

The two places where the Compact has the X beat are battery life and the camera. Both are acceptable on the X, but the Z3 series really shines in those departments. If that's really important to you, it may be enough to push you to the Sony.
    marrkopolo and On2Vegas like this.
    11-21-2014 10:32 AM
    if you're going to choose between these two phones (X and Z3), what will it be and why?
    11-21-2014 12:16 PM
    For me, the decision came down to the extra features of the active display and moto voice. I considered the larger size of the Moto X to be a draw back at first, but as I got used to it and still found it to be pocketable, I have come to appreciate the larger display and not having to squint into a smaller phone as much.

The other day my wife and I were driving somewhere and my Moto X, which has a GPS function that knows when I am on the move, started talking to me, offering to read my incoming text, for which it then dictated my response, repeated it back for correctness, then sent the response text, all while staying in my pocket completely hands free. I never had to touch or wake up or look at my phone. My wife declared herself instantly disavowed of her iPhone loyalties and said she would be getting a phone like mine at the next go-around.

I have never run out of battery yet, though there have been a couple times at the end of the day it's been close. The Sony will probably do much better on that front. I also found myself wishing I had sprung for more than the 16GB model of the Moto X.

You'll enjoy either. These are great times to be buying latest generation smart phones. They are all very capable.
    marrkopolo and On2Vegas like this.
    11-23-2014 01:11 AM
    For me, the decision came down to the extra features of the active display and moto voice. I considered the larger size of the Moto X to be a draw back at first, but as I got used to it and still found it to be pocketable
    This is the reason to pick the X over the Z3. The Z3 compact is a sweet phone, but in the end, it doesn't have the Moto Suite.
    On2Vegas likes this.
    11-23-2014 10:41 AM
    I would go with the Moto X. Motorola updates their phones to the latest version of Android faster, and the fact that there is literally no skinning of the UI is a plus.
    On2Vegas likes this.
    11-23-2014 10:54 AM
    Z3 - screen, battery life, camera, storage and waterproofing

Moto X '14 - ease of use, updates and the best Signal Strength you can find.

Choose what matters to you the most. Definitely two very different phones.

via AC App on VZW Moto X DE/N7
    11-24-2014 09:27 PM
    Get the Moto X! I repaired an Xperia Z for a family member this week and the Sony UI was awful! Sony actually made Android seem complicated.
    Then again, my last few phones have been in the vanilla range, just the way I like it.
    11-24-2014 10:04 PM
    Get the Moto X! I repaired an Xperia Z for a family member this week and the Sony UI was awful! Sony actually made Android seem complicated.
    Then again, my last few phones have been in the vanilla range, just the way I like it.
    Once Moto dropped that MotoBlur UI and went with almost pure vanilla Android, that's been a huge plus for me.
    11-25-2014 12:35 PM
    You must pay attention that the specs of the compact version of the Z3 differs from Z3 itself. The compact version does not have things like digital stab for photos - which makes the camera much worse than the original Z3. Also, you have 1 gb less RAM, 720p screen, 2600mah battery, etc.

I would go with the Moto X. The device have a less powerful battery but that's it. You have much more pros than cons.
    11-26-2014 01:04 PM