Should I make the switch from my M8 to the X 2014? HELP!

Thb91

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had my HTC M8 since launch and as much as I love it I'm getting a little tired of sense now, plus the lollipop leaks don't excite me at all. I'm considering moving to the X and taking advantage of the cyber Monday deal but I've read about a few recurring issues that put me off the phone:

Battery Life: Initially reviews were saying they got around 3 hours of SOT and about a full days use? I'm probably a pretty heavy user so I don't think that sort of battery would do me. How have people generally found the battery? Can anybody compare it with the M8's battery (which I'm pretty happy with)? And has there been any improvements in battery since the lollipop update?

Camera: Again, coming from the M8 I'm not really used to a stellar camera experience but I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make out. How does the camera on the X compare with the M8?

I'm really torn on whether I should change the phone or whether I'm just being a little silly and should just wait. Stock android is really what I want and the idea of a custom made Moto X really interests me... HELP!!!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Judging by reviews(I have never owned an m8). Battery life will be slightly worse on the the moto x. I get a consistent 4 hour SOT on mine. I would consider myself more of a moderate user. Stuff like GPS kill it fast, but browsing and general use it usually sips.

Again, I have never own an m8, but looking at samples, it looks like any average to good lighting pics will be better on the X. Low light will be worse.

I didn't get the m8 in the spring only because of the size. A phone that tall with a power button on the top is too much for me. I however love my x. I had pretty low hopes for it, but have been absolutely blown away. It is the best nonspecialized phone of 2014.

Sent from my XT1096

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Judging by reviews(I have never owned an m8). Battery life will be slightly worse on the the moto x. I get a consistent 4 hour SOT on mine. I would consider myself more of a moderate user. Stuff like GPS kill it fast, but browsing and general use it usually sips.

I agree. I'm also a moderate user and consistently get 4 hours of screen on time as well. However, I'm on AT&T and don't have Lollipop yet. Some folks seem to be getting better battery life with Lollipop and others less, so that's still an unknown for me. As for the Android experience on the X, you just can't beat it. It's plain vanilla but better, way better, since Moto only adds enhancements like Moto Display that are really useful and there's no craptastic UI to get in the way. Plus if you're not on Verizon and able to get a Pure Edition, it's virtually crud free. Finally, it's a real beauty - a very sexy phone. Even the reviewers who ding on the camera or battery life can't say anything negative about its looks (if you care about that sort of thing).

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm really torn on whether I should change the phone or whether I'm just being a little silly and should just wait. Stock android is really what I want and the idea of a custom made Moto X really interests me... HELP!!!

I don't know how important cost is to you, but you can get (or try to get at least) a sweet deal on a new Moto X on Cyber Monday. If you're looking for a fresh phone that you can buy outright without a lot of scratch, then the Moto X is a good buy. As others have said, you'll probably find the battery life comparable to slightly worse depending on how you use the phone. Camera is mixed; the X has better daylight performance as far as I'm concerned, but the M8 is a low light champ so take that into consideration.

Honestly they're both good phones. If you're low on cash I'd just hold on to the M8 but if you've got the funds to explore, you can't go wrong with the X.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, my buddy had the M8. After playing with my 2013 X, he bought the 2014 version and and loves it. He was die hard HTC. Paid full price for the M8. Now he can't believe how much better a near stock Android is. Sold his M8 cause he hates the HTC sense now. His only complaint is battery life but says it's not any better than his M8 anyway. Again. . . For what it's worth.

Posted via Android Central App

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering making this switch, especially now I've seen the cyber Monday proving in the uk. I had a nexus 5 before my one m8 and have tried lollipop on it. It really makes me want to go back to a more stock experience and whilst it didn't bother me at first, over time the height of the m8 has become a bit annoying.

One thing that concerns me is I hated the battery life on my nexus 5 and I think the x has the same size battery. I really couldn't go back to that. Perhaps moto have done a better job at optimising battery life vs nexus?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers