Hold off on Lollipop upgrade?

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a 32 GB Verizon model, purchased from the Moto Maker website.

After about 48 hours on Kit Kat - which is a great OS, of course - I decided to throw caution to the wind and upgrade to Lollipop last night. And I decided to be even more adventurous and not do a factory reset before or after, but install it over my current configuration and see what happened.

I am pleased to report that the upgrade went without a hitch and all my apps and settings seem to be working just fine. All the Moto features are working.

I am really, really enjoying the look and UI of Lollipop. And my battery life is notably better. :eek:

BluBrett

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had a bit of lag in Chrome and Gallery, and Chrome crashed once after lagging bad, but it's been completely stable other than those times. Better than I can say for Jelly Bean, about on par with KitKat in my experience. I definitely prefer 5.0 over 4.4.4. KitKat always had data connection issues for me anyway (A LOT worse in 4.4.0-4.4.2 though), Lollipop doesn't have those issues. In fact, my MacBook on OS X Yosemite is less stable than my X on Lollipop. I'm glad I made the jump.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Despite my comments up-thread, like a moth to a flame, when my X arrived I couldn't resist doing the upgrade > factory reset right out of the box before setting it up. So far, no problems and I'm pretty encouraged by the initial battery performance. If it settles in and improves I'll be very happy. Most of the Material Design elements are meh and some are downright annoying. Overall, after a rocky start the revised 22.21.11 release is pretty solid - certainly better than that fruity company, which is already on 8.1.02 of their latest walled prison...

...adding, I decline the Yosemite update every day on my Macbook.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had a bit of lag in Chrome and Gallery, and Chrome crashed once after lagging bad, but it's been completely stable other than those times. Better than I can say for Jelly Bean, about on par with KitKat in my experience. I definitely prefer 5.0 over 4.4.4. KitKat always had data connection issues for me anyway (A LOT worse in 4.4.0-4.4.2 though), Lollipop doesn't have those issues. In fact, my MacBook on OS X Yosemite is less stable than my X on Lollipop. I'm glad I made the jump.

Agree on the KitKat data connection issues. On my 2013 Moto X - If I had wifi turned on - my data would just drop for no reason about once every 3 weeks or so. I had to change my preferred network settings to 2G for 30 seconds or so and then go back to Automatic in order to fix it.

Knock on wood - I hope my Lollipop 2014 Moto X doesn't have this issue.

BluBrett

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Agree on the KitKat data connection issues. On my 2013 Moto X - If I had wifi turned on - my data would just drop for no reason about once every 3 weeks or so. I had to change my preferred network settings to 2G for 30 seconds or so and then go back to Automatic in order to fix it.

Knock on wood - I hope my Lollipop 2014 Moto X doesn't have this issue.

I had an N5, HTC M7, LG G2, and HTC M8 all on 4.4.0-4.4.2 at some point and once at least every few days I would have to turn data off for for 20 seconds and then back on to get the data to work. It said it was on, but I would get constant no data error messages. 4.4.3-4.4.4 was a lot better but still not perfect. Strangely, my 4.4.2 Note 3 never had an issue with data connection. Haven't had an issue with LTE or WiFi since upgrading to Lollipop. Hopefully Google fixed it!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been having a little better battery life since upgrading to Lollipop .I been on it for couple weeks.I didn't have any issues ,but one app isn't totally working in dark mode .The app developer knows about it working on a fix .

Sent from my XT1096

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I shouldve waited. After upgrading to 5.0 I found out that my two favorite apps are not working. Dish anywhere and Player Pro. Player Pro works but some of my mp3 will have cracking sound. Dish anywhere doesnt work at all.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I shouldve waited. After upgrading to 5.0 I found out that my two favorite apps are not working. Dish anywhere and Player Pro. Player Pro works but some of my mp3 will have cracking sound. Dish anywhere doesnt work at all.
Same here went to play store dish app(which was installed) found a update button & updated, now works.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Same here went to play store dish app(which was installed) found a update button & updated, now works.

Are you able to get the Dish app to work correctly? I noticed on my screen that its not full screen. There is a black bars all around the screen. When I hit the zoom button, it just zoom in and cut off the picture on the right and left side. Do you noticed this too? I have try it on both a Moto x and Nexus 5 same behavior

zavandiver

May 2, 2014
Visit site
My new Moto X is coming 12/17. I was planning on the Lollipop upgrade then the factory reset. After that, what is the best way to transfer data/apps from my 2013 Moto X? Which is best, Moto Migrate or the NFC transfer? All help appreciated as this is just my second Android phone.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
My new Moto X is coming 12/17. I was planning on the Lollipop upgrade then the factory reset. After that, what is the best way to transfer data/apps from my 2013 Moto X? Which is best, Moto Migrate or the NFC transfer? All help appreciated as this is just my second Android phone.

I personally used both. The NFC transfer will copy things like google accounts, settings, WiFi networks, launcher layout and apps. Moto Migrate copies over all your pictures, videos, contacts, call/SMS history and logs, and a few other things.

They each get different data and work best if both are used. When my moto X came from cyber Monday I immediately updated to Lollipop and performed a factory reset. Even before logging into my Google account.

After that I went through the Lollipop Setup wizard where I could do the NFC setup from my old (2013) Moto X. After this process was complete I Fired up Moto Migrate on both phones and followed that procedure copying over my SMS history, call logs, photos, videos, and music. Now, my new moto x is setup just like the old one. Even the launcher icon layout is the same, so I feel like home. The only difference being my new Moto X has Android 5.0.

Anyway, I hope I was of some help. I really feel like both Migrate and NFC transfer is the way to go. Just male sure you do the NFC setup in the wizard FIRST.

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
KitKat was pretty smooth when I had it since upgrading to Lollipop everything has been great. I did notice it wasn't as smooth as Kitkat but that could be due to all the animations but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Jason Sd

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Is the update available on X2
I'm in india !
I tried to check ,it says its up-to-date
Its running KitKat 4.4.4

Posted via the Android Central App

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my second X2; first at AT&T store, then got in on the Moto discount coupon (they ran out in about 90 minutes, I was filling mine out the first minute).
So returned the store one, just got my "Pure" / unlocked one a few hours ago. Just finished migrating data over and the 5.0 OTA notification was there, downloading now. So in the US, the OTA is shipping for at least the unlocked phones.
Hope it doesn't break anything important, but I'm sure they'll release a fix if it does, not the first device so not worried.

ADS

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
There's a migrate function on the phone, worked great. Install it on old phone, do the sync, brings all normal google stuff plus phone photos, text messages, phone history.

ADS

zavandiver

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I personally used both. The NFC transfer will copy things like google accounts, settings, WiFi networks, launcher layout and apps. Moto Migrate copies over all your pictures, videos, contacts, call/SMS history and logs, and a few other things.

They each get different data and work best if both are used. When my moto X came from cyber Monday I immediately updated to Lollipop and performed a factory reset. Even before logging into my Google account.

After that I went through the Lollipop Setup wizard where I could do the NFC setup from my old (2013) Moto X. After this process was complete I Fired up Moto Migrate on both phones and followed that procedure copying over my SMS history, call logs, photos, videos, and music. Now, my new moto x is setup just like the old one. Even the launcher icon layout is the same, so I feel like home. The only difference being my new Moto X has Android 5.0.

Anyway, I hope I was of some help. I really feel like both Migrate and NFC transfer is the way to go. Just male sure you do the NFC setup in the wizard FIRST.

Thanks for the advice. My X came today (a day early!) and I am updating to Lollipop now.
Update: Just finished the upgrade and set up. Went very smooth. Thanks again for the instructions.

Last edited:

Gina Colsia

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I bought my 2nd generation motox on dec. 2014. This January 2015, there was a notification for system update and I clicked ok. After the update was installed the unit keeps on turning on and off and motorola logo would appear and the globe thing and after that the unit would turn off then turn on again. Before the update the unit works fine. I called the motorola customer assistance and advised to send the unit back to them for repair.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc