Don't Buy Moto X, Very Fragile phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princecooldude

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Android Central readers,
If you are planning to buy a new moto X please avoid doing so and instead get your hands on better devices such as HTC One M8 or the One PlusOne. The screen of Moto X 2014 is very fragile and cannot even sustain a fall from just one feet and you obviously do not want to put your smartphone in a showcase instead of using it. Also when Moto Team is complained about the same, they say we are not concerned anyway you will have to pay for the damages.
So please avoid buying it.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I think I'd rather avoid dropping my phone, but hey, thanks for the tip.

The nerve... Blaming a whole company for your own carelessness. Washing your hands after changing your motor oil helps too.

[ additional comment edited by Moderator]

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
If you are planning to buy a new moto X please avoid doing so and instead get your hands on better devices such as HTC One M8 or the One PlusOne. The screen of Moto X 2014 is very fragile and cannot even sustain a fall from just one feet and you obviously do not want to put your smartphone in a showcase instead of using it. Also when Moto Team is complained about the same, they say we are not concerned anyway you will have to pay for the damages.

Sorry to hear about your phone, that's terrible.

Having said that, all non cased phones break when dropped. I've yet to see one that doesn't.. Maybe in the future you should buy a case for your devices and get them insured..

I'm not sure where you are located but in the US at least you can get Squaretrade Insurance for like $5 a month. Break it and they will replace it for a small deductible. ($50 or $75 I can't remember)

Best of luck with your new phone but please put a case on it and grab up some insurance for it.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Too late. Mine just shipped.

When I go outside, I wear shoes even though they cover my beautiful but delicate feet.

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry about it; you just have to becareful and not the drop phone. There is a tradeoff, if you want to protect your phone than buy a case and sure it covers the moto maker but it protects your phone. Good luck to you.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I never use a case but I fully understand that if I drop it, it's going to break..

The phones the OP mentioned, the M8 and the OnePlus are just as prone to breaking if dropped as the Motto X, the N5, the N6, the iPhone ect, ect, ect..

I choose to carry my phones naked but I fully know that if dropped they are more than likely toast..

dmccracken42

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear you broke your phone.

I use a distronic case on my moto x and have dropped it several times without damage. When heading into environments where i know I'm likely to damage the phone I have a SUPCASE shell. We all want big screens and small bezels unfortunately it leaves the screen vulnerable to breakage from drops. I know I'm way to clumsy to go caseless.

-Dennis-

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your experience. I purchased a bumper case the same day I purchased my Moto X 2014 because I know the sheer size of the phone will make it difficult to hang onto in certain situations. I also plan to insure it through Motorola.

In my experience, if you spend a little more time and money to protect your investment, it will serve you well and last as long as you need it to.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Again - there could be a lot of reasons why your phone screen broke/cracked when you dropped the phone.

It could have been the surface you dropped it on, your screen could have been slightly damaged before you got the phone, etc.

If you buy a phone without insurance - protect the phone with a case.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Rumor has it that if you don't wear a helmet while riding a bike, you are more prone to head injuries. Go figure the science on that one, eh?

Also, the HTC One is notorious for picking up all kinds of scratches on that lovely aluminum back from normal use if you don't have it shrouded in a case. So there's that.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Glass screens can break from a 6 inch fall if it hits just the wrong way. It can survive a 4 foot drop if it hits just the right way. Glass is glass, and glass breaks.

Posted via the Android Central App

afrozeke

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I've dropped mine from way higher than 1 foot. Tiny scratch on the metal band so far is the only damage.

I bought the insurance though so I don't care. Its very liberating. 😊

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Droid Turbo and it is the most beautiful phone I have ever owned and the Kelvar Black backing feels great and it is amazing in the hand..... BUT.... I want to keep it that way and it is going in a Otterbox Commuter case today... I understand wanting to go naked, but its not worth it for most of us... Sorry about the phone... consider it a life lesson....

tandonkaran

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I dropped mine the very same day I bought it.. And since then I think I must have let it slip at least 2-3 times.. Not a scratch.. What can I say.. I have butter fingers.. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your phone, that's terrible.

Having said that, all non cased phones break when dropped. I've yet to see one that doesn't.. Maybe in the future you should buy a case for your devices and get them insured..

I'm not sure where you are located but in the US at least you can get Squaretrade Insurance for like $5 a month. Break it and they will replace it for a small deductible. ($50 or $75 I can't remember)

Best of luck with your new phone but please put a case on it and grab up some insurance for it.

galaxy xcover? moto defy?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Smart phones are not meant to be dropped, just like babies. If you are not careful or responsible enough do not use smart phones and for heavens sake do not have kids. You broke your phone, man up and accept it instead of blaming someone else.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have dropped my Moto X (2014) a couple times... mostly while bending down to pet one of my pets and it came out of my shirt pocket... it happens sometimes. No issues.

I left the HTC One... good device, but not as good as the Moto X (2014)... and specifically the non-bloat loaded Pure Edition Moto X. I'm totally happy with my new purchase and would never consider going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke