Soes 'Smart Lock' work if you encrypt your Android L moto x?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I want my phone to be encrypted, but I also do not want a password/lock screen at home.

Anyone know if I encrypt my device if Smart Lock locations and bluetooth devices will still work? I want to make sure because if I encrypt and it *doesnt* work then I'll need to factory reset and start all over.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you can have encryption and no lock screen, but if it does work (someone else may have tried it) you can use Tasker to detect your home wifi (or just a geofence - your location) and change your lock screen to None, so pressing the power button brings you right to the homescreen at home, but to a lock screen away from home. (I also have mine turning mobile data on and off and turning USB debugging on and off.)

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if you can have encryption and no lock screen, but if it does work (someone else may have tried it) you can use Tasker to detect your home wifi (or just a geofence - your location) and change your lock screen to None, so pressing the power button brings you right to the homescreen at home, but to a lock screen away from home. (I also have mine turning mobile data on and off and turning USB debugging on and off.)

Smart Lock and trusted devices essentially do just that, so if they work you would not need to mess with Tasker. The question of course is, "do they work like that?" It's a question I'm curious about as well given that you can't remove encryption without performing a factory reset.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have my moto x with android L using encryption and smart locking and it works fine.

It works fine with encryption on my G Pad GPE too. My 2014 Moto X will be here on Monday, so I'll get back with results from that. My 2013 moto x on KitKat cannot use trusted devices with encryption however.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It works fine with encryption on my G Pad GPE too. My 2014 Moto X will be here on Monday, so I'll get back with results from that. My 2013 moto x on KitKat cannot use trusted devices with encryption however.

I encrypted my moto x 2013 a few months ago and it worked fine with trusted devices on KitKat.

Trusted devices being the feature that prevents your device from locking if a specific Bluetooth device is actively paired with it (just to make sure we are talking about the same feature).

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20