Cases for 2nd Gen Moto X

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello fellow forum owners. I just upgraded from the OG moto X to the New Moto X with the cyber Monday sale. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good cases.

My only requirements are for the case to come with or have an available holster, not be crazy thick, and fit in a leather pouch with the case on if there is no holster available. If you could not tell the holster part is important because I hate carrying a phone in my pocket.

Thanks in advanced.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
That one will be a tough one. The only cases that I could find were the ones that were bumpers or clear cases with no holster option. The case options for that device are a little slim. Most tend to have an open back since they assume that you will be doing the Motomaker and custom designing your phone.

I had the Moto X and the only one that I liked was the Casemate Hula bumper. In this case though, you wanted a holster one so, that would not work.

Have you tried Ebay or Etsy? You might find something there.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
That one will be a tough one. The only cases that I could find were the ones that were bumpers or clear cases with no holster option. The case options for that device are a little slim. Most tend to have an open back since they assume that you will be doing the Motomaker and custom designing your phone.

I had the Moto X and the only one that I liked was the Casemate Hula bumper. In this case though, you wanted a holster one so, that would not work.

Have you tried Ebay or Etsy? You might find something there.

I have not looked at eBay or etsy, but I looked on amazon and didn't find much. Fortunately the new moto x will fit in the current leather pouch I have. I may just have to go with that for now.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have not looked at eBay or etsy, but I looked on amazon and didn't find much. Fortunately the new moto x will fit in the current leather pouch I have. I may just have to go with that for now.

Yeah. When I had my Moto X, the pickings were very slim. In a way, its sad. That device never had an opportunity to reach its full market potential with the Droid Turbo and Nexus 6. The phone really has not been out all that long.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. When I had my Moto X, the pickings were very slim. In a way, its sad. That device never had an opportunity to reach its full market potential with the Droid Turbo and Nexus 6. The phone really has not been out all that long.

Well, like I said before, even I was leaning toward the Nexus 6, and I may even still get one. I was able to get a cyber Monday code, and decided to give the Moto X a try. After all my current 2013 model is the best phone I've ever used.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to order the 2nd gen Moto X on Wednesday, when it becomes available for Republic Wireless so I've been shopping for cases as well. And I've been lurking in the forums for quite a while. I just joined so I could reply to your post.

Supcase offers 2 cases that you should check out. The Unicorn Beetle offers a TPU bumper and a clear/frost back that appears to be slim enough that it might just fit in your leather pouch. And if you got a special back that you'd rather not cover up, this could be an option for you. The bumper portion is attached to the back, i.e. everything is one piece, and you have color choices for the bumper–clear, black, blue, green, etc. It gets really good reviews. Amazon is sold out but New Egg has it.

New Egg also has a more rugged Supcase case with a holster. Depending on what you're looking for though you might find this one too thick.

Case Mate's Naked Tough Case is crystal clear and has an integrated bumper over which the plastic shell back attaches. It's twice as expensive as the Supcase though it might provide better protection. I'm not sure about that though. The back will also get scratched, if that matters to you. And this case also gets excellent reviews.

Hope this helps!

from the newbie poster . . . .

Last edited:

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I've found the Xtreme Guard for screen protectors, however still looking for a case. I'm most likely getting one of the Case Mates when it becomes available.

MidTennMtneer

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the Supcase with holster from Amazon. Unfortunately now it is unavailable on there and I haven't found it anywhere else.

I've read of a few buying a simple case and using the Seidio Galaxy S5 holsters. I am planning on purchasing the frosted back case from Poetic. Give it a whirl in the S5 holster. I just have to figure out which Sedio holster to get.

Those are the only options I have found as I am like you, holster or I won't carry the thing at all. And no leather pouch for me. I did read somewhere that Seidio has no plans to make any products for our phone. Bummer as I've used them on my last 5 or 6 phones.

mbar9607

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a Diztronic case on and its nice but I'm thinking of checking out the defender case cause I don't mind the bulk for protection

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed the lack of case choices for the 2nd gen MX. I ordered the Curzlite Bugdroid case from Amazon. I went with this case because I had one on my 2013 Moto X and I was very happy with it. Decent protection and grippy back, plus it is thin so you hardly notice the case is on.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to order the 2nd gen Moto X on Wednesday, when it becomes available for Republic Wireless so I've been shopping for cases as well. And I've been lurking in the forums for quite a while. I just joined so I could reply to your post.

Supcase offers 2 cases that you should check out. The Unicorn Beetle offers a TPU bumper and a clear/frost back that appears to be slim enough that it might just fit in your leather pouch. And if you got a special back that you'd rather not cover up, this could be an option for you. The bumper portion is attached to the back, i.e. everything is one piece, and you have color choices for the bumper–clear, black, blue, green, etc. It gets really good reviews. Amazon is sold out but New Egg has it.

New Egg also has a more rugged Supcase case with a holster. Depending on what you're looking for though you might find this one too thick.

Case Mate's Naked Tough Case is crystal clear and has an integrated bumper over which the plastic shell back attaches. It's twice as expensive as the Supcase though it might provide better protection. I'm not sure about that though. The back will also get scratched, if that matters to you. And this case also gets excellent reviews.

Hope this helps!

from the newbie poster . . . .

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll look into those options.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the Supcase with holster from Amazon. Unfortunately now it is unavailable on there and I haven't found it anywhere else.

I've read of a few buying a simple case and using the Seidio Galaxy S5 holsters. I am planning on purchasing the frosted back case from Poetic. Give it a whirl in the S5 holster. I just have to figure out which Sedio holster to get.

Those are the only options I have found as I am like you, holster or I won't carry the thing at all. And no leather pouch for me. I did read somewhere that Seidio has no plans to make any products for our phone. Bummer as I've used them on my last 5 or 6 phones.

Yeah I used seidio with my OG moto x and my Galaxy S4

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I used seidio with my OG moto x and my Galaxy S4

Did you find a Seidio for the 2nd gen X? I didn't think there was one available for it.

I called Case Mate today to find out when they would have more cases in stock. The rather terse young woman first said, "When the overseas manufacturer sends them to us." After pointing out that Case Mate is indeed the manufacturer, she then said 4-6 weeks. Interesting.

I also looked at a Case Mate Tough Naked case for a Samsung today and wasn't so impressed, mainly because it will scratch up on the outside, which won't be that different from some of the "frosting" other clear cases have.

Here's a link for the Supcase that someone in one of the other threads posted:

Moto X 2014 Supcase - Imgur

GingerSnapsBack

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered this one earlier this week. It hasn't come in but I had a similar case on my iPhone and loved it. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in. The reviews were good for it though.

I've got an Otterbox Defender on mine now. I like the holster and I use that a lot but I also like that it fits in the gluteus maximus (since we can't say the other word) pocket of my jeans so if I forget my holster, I can still carry it with me. :)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered this one earlier this week. It hasn't come in but I had a similar case on my iPhone and loved it. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in. The reviews were good for it though.

I've got an Otterbox Defender on mine now. I like the holster and I use that a lot but I also like that it fits in the gluteus maximus (since we can't say the other word) pocket of my jeans so if I forget my holster, I can still carry it with me. :)

Is it screen protector friendly?

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I've read that that one "squares up" the curves on the back of the phone. Can you post comments when you get it?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I love the DuroCase I picked up a couple of weeks ago: Amazon.com: DuroCase ® Motorola Moto X 2nd Gen. 2014 Kickstand Bumper Case - (Starry Night): Cell Phones & Accessories

It's a softer rubbery inside with a hard shell outside. The rubber is thick enough to be protective of the corners. The screen recess is plenty deep enough to be protective but doesn't interfere with screen access in any way.

The kickstand, while not great, is very functional and a nice addition that I have come to insist on for my cases since my Thunderbolt got me hooked on a kickstand on my phone.

The case fits, barely, into an old neoprene case I bought for my PalmPilot 3C years ago. It should fit easily into any number of leather cases available (anything built for the Galaxy Notes, for example). I had a cheap leather holster that fit my Optimus G Pro with the OGPro version of this same case on it, and it worked fine (and the OG Pro is considerably larger than the Moto X 2014). It was a super cheap leather case that fell apart quickly, but size-wise it was good, so there should be plenty of options there.

The case makes the phone much easier to grip by widening the edges so I'm not trying to grip it by the thin aluminum. It feels a lot less likely that I'll drop the phone and is much more comfortable in my (large) hands. The cutout for the "dimple" is very large and easily accommodates using the dimple for ergonomic grip. All other cutouts are pretty generous, with the possible exception of the headphone jack if you have a headset with a really wide plug (not a problem with any of my headsets, but some are a teeny bit snug).

It also flattens out the curve on the back of the phone a bit and leaves a "flat spot" about 3/4 of the phone wide while still tapering the edges to approximate the ergonomics of the original Moto curved back. This makes it easy to hold while still allowing you to set the phone down on a table and tap away at the screen without the phone rocking and spinning about like a Jack Russell Terrier.

Your mileage may vary, but for me this is the perfect case, and is available in quite a few styles. I bought my Moto X in black plastic resin without MotoMaker, though, so I don't mind covering up my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol