Won't auto rotate

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
2014 Moto X running Lollipop won't auto rotate. Done all the usual stuff (reboot, reflash, cycle the auto rotate button). The problem is system wide and not application specific. Found some posts out on the web about the same problem but all the threads were dead ends. No resolution to the issue.

Hopefully, I'm just missing something and won't have to send my new device back.

Thanks

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
^^^^ Bad device, I guess.

Curious on their decision process, did moto ask you to perform any tests on it?
Was it easy/difficult to explain to them or did you happen to get a home of someone who could relate and understand what you were explaining?

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Curious on their decision process, did moto ask you to perform any tests on it?
Was it easy/difficult to explain to them or did you happen to get a home of someone who could relate and understand what you were explaining?

I'd expected much better ( but don't know why ) support from Motorola. Obviously, cubicle automatons whose only desire is to get through the call so they can get to the next. ( speculation on my part, to be sure ) The representatives droned through their checklist of responses. After the resets ( three ) were done and the device was still not functioning properly my only option was to return it.

The return process was no better.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I'd expected much better ( but don't know why ) support from Motorola. Obviously, cubicle automatons whose only desire is to get through the call so they can get to the next. ( speculation on my part, to be sure ) The representatives droned through their checklist of responses. After the resets ( three ) were done and the device was still not functioning properly my only option was to return it.

The return process was no better.

Sucks to hear that about the customer service. I've got the same thing happening with my Moto X. The phone is 4 days old now and yesterday it stopped rotating. Today it started working again out of the blue. I went through cache wipes as well to no avail. I really love this phone but now it has me very hesitant to keep it as it may just start again.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Sucks to hear that about the customer service. I've got the same thing happening with my Moto X. The phone is 4 days old now and yesterday it stopped rotating. Today it started working again out of the blue. I went through cache wipes as well to no avail. I really love this phone but now it has me very hesitant to keep it as it may just start again.

That's strange. Hopefully, it doesn't fail again. Maybe there was a bad batch?

BPaules

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine just started doing this today... Might go by Verizon to see if they have any suggestions. Really don't want to have to return the phone. :/

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine less than 10 days and out of no where it stopped auto rotating. I chatted with Moto customer support and they suggested 1) rebooting and 2) wiping the cache, which i did. Still no auto rotate. I called back and they want me to do a factory reboot. Will see if that works.

If I do this, do I need to do it with the SIM in or can I take the SIM out?

Thanks.

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I did the factory reboot and nothing changed, except losing all of my stuff on the phone. Motorola is going to replace it though. I still love the phone but it sounds like this may be an issue for some Moto Xs.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I did the factory reboot and nothing changed, except losing all of my stuff on the phone. Motorola is going to replace it though. I still love the phone but it sounds like this may be an issue for some Moto Xs.

I had this issue and figured out the problem...i had dropped my Moto X. No damage to the phone but the small drop onto carpet had made the accelerometer become "stuck". I downloaded an app on my phone that showed it wasn't moving on the Y Axis (or X Axis, I forget) and sure enough it was a hardware issue.

So I fixed it by "dropping" my phone again onto carpet. It unstuck the accelerometer and now everything is working fine.

Posted via Android Central App

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem. Wouldn't auto rotate and Motorola camera app was upside down. I fixed it by rapping the back of my phone firmly against a solid object. Twice.

Posted via the Android Central App

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue and figured out the problem...i had dropped my Moto X. No damage to the phone but the small drop onto carpet had made the accelerometer become "stuck". I downloaded an app on my phone that showed it wasn't moving on the Y Axis (or X Axis, I forget) and sure enough it was a hardware issue.

So I fixed it by "dropping" my phone again onto carpet. It unstuck the accelerometer and now everything is working fine.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for this tip! I must've dropped my phone last night at the bar, and "locked" the sensors.. I did what you suggested- dropped it again from about a foot up, onto its bottom edge, and that unlocked the accelerometer again! Thanks for this- I was about to send it to Motorola!!

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. My phone stopped auto rotating also. I even did a factory reset after talking to a Moto tech assistant. Nothing changed so they sent me a new one. Should arrive today, but yesterday I dropped it on the carpet and now it auto rotates. Go figure.

Neeque

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
2014 Moto X running Lollipop won't auto rotate. Done all the usual stuff (reboot, reflash, cycle the auto rotate button). The problem is system wide and not application specific. Found some posts out on the web about the same problem but all the threads were dead ends. No resolution to the issue.

Hopefully, I'm just missing something and won't have to send my new device back.

Thanks

3/14/15

Hi all, I just wanted to say that the advice to re-drop or drop the phone on purpose to get the phone auto rotate unstuck and working again worked like a charm for me and my phone is working fine now. Here is the full story...my phone dropped a few days ago and then would not rotate I spent some time with Motorola customer service on the phone troubleshooting and was about to send my phone in for replacement before reading this post. I figured re-dropping it was worth a try since I was going to send the phone in anyway and I'm glad I did it saves me time and money. Thanks to the great community on mobile nation and Android Central for posting the problem and solution. you guys are the best! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay