Is my USB connector busted?

elian

May 20, 2014
Visit site
USB connector orientation

Last week I purchased a Moto X, but noticed the USB-cable connected at an angle, which I found a bit strange. It pointed to the back of the phone; in other words, when the phone is lying down, the end of the USB-connector almost touches the table, whereas the beginning of the connector is clearly not as close to the table. See the picture.
I contacted Motorola support and, based on this and another picture, they stated that it seemed to be faulty and I was advised to replace it. I did and have just received the replacement. However, it looks the same.

What do you guys think of this? Is your device different?

Attachments

• photo 4b.jpg
    photo 4b.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 31

elian

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: USB connector orientation

I think the connection at the phone is fine, but the end of the charger looks bent.

Thanks. That would be more likely, but the connector looks good to me. Also, it would be quite coincidental that I would manage to order two phones the cables of which would have the same kind of bend (the entire package was replaced, not just the device).
So yours looks different then?

Attachments

• photo 1b.JPG
    photo 1b.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 24

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Faith in Motorola's competence = faith in Motorola's competence - 1.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

I think is is an optical elution as the bottom of the phone is not flat. Mine is this way too but don't think it is a problem or issue.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I have noticed that the USB connector is very weird. When I plugged it with my case on it looked like one side of the USB connector went in further than the other side. Took the case off last night before I plugged it in and it seemed even but exposing quite a bit of metal. Glad I am not the only one. :)

Not going to worry about it. As long as it is not loose I don't see the problem. Just a weird design.

elian

May 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, guys. Good to know that this is more common than Support thought. I've e-mailed them about this second device with this "issue".

Regarding the optical illusion: I would expect it to be in line with the display and it is clearly not. The other extreme would be in line with the bottom, but then it would point upward, not downward. It's just strange.

Anyway, I agree that it is not likely to be a problem. It doesn't seem to put real stress on the USB-port because the end of the connector is still slightly removed from the table. I had wanted to confirm this with Motorola Support, but as mentioned above they advised me to return it.

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, guys. Good to know that this is more common than Support thought. I've e-mailed them about this second device with this "issue".

Regarding the optical illusion: I would expect it to be in line with the display and it is clearly not. The other extreme would be in line with the bottom, but then it would point upward, not downward. It's just strange.

Anyway, I agree that it is not likely to be a problem. It doesn't seem to put real stress on the USB-port because the end of the connector is still slightly removed from the table. I had wanted to confirm this with Motorola Support, but as mentioned above they advised me to return it.

Thank you for the post! I agree. Out of the devices I have owned and currently own this has to be the weirdest port I have encountered.