Landscape mode not working

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Chrome, Maps or Gmail, or anything else for that matter will not rotate to landscape mode. Auto-rotation is on. I was at a soccer game did some running around and went to use maps on my phone on the way home and apps were stuck in landscape. No big deal for the Maps app. When I got home all apps were opening in landscape. I powered off the phone and back on and now they will not go to landscape. Does my phone need to be re-calibrated?Phone is brand new. I took deliver on 12/10 and so far all is well except for this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh and I'm running Lollipop since day one.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I've chatted with Motorola support, wiped the cache on my phone. This phone is 3 days old and none of the sensors seemed to be working. None of the apps will go into landscape mode. The support person has suggested to give it a few days and if that doesn't work do a factory reset. This is my first foray into Android for my phone. I love this phone but this is not a good omen. Pure Edition purchased from Motorola with Cyber Monday discount. I'm loving Android Lollipop and got 2 full days on my first full charge with 3.5 hours screen time. That is enough battery for me now only if it would rotate when needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try *#0*# (I don't know if that works on Motorola phones) to see if you get the test screen. If you do, press Sensors. If not, install a sensor test app that includes the accelerometer sensor. Edit: I was typing that while Cant Miss was posting, I guess.)

Watch the x and y numbers. From portrait to landscape they should just about exchange values. If they're not doing anything, you've got a faulty sensor, it's covered under warranty, and wherever you bought it has to replace the phone (which eventually gets back to Motorola and they have to eat the repair cost). Part of the price you paid for the phone includes a replacement warranty, so you're entitled to a replacement, you're not asking for a favor.

(If the accelerometer is working, try what Motorola suggested.)

But back up everything in either case. Replacing the phone and doing a factory reset have something in common. any data you entered into the phone, and any apps you installed, are lost. I suggest Helium (you'll have to download a little Windows program and connect the phone to the PC to get Helium to run on an unrooted phone - the link to the program is in the app, it'll tell you). Make sure that when you back up, you uncheck the "data only", so you're backing up the apps too (so you don't have to waste time downloading them again). Do the backup, then copy the backup folder (it's named carbon - that's the old name of the app) to your PC, because either a factory reset or a new phone will not have the folder.

And you should always have a current backup of your phone on your computer and on a cloud account (at least one - there's no such thing as too many backups).

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I installed several sensor apps including this one called Sensor Box for Android. It is graphical and helped "see" the problem. The accelerometer portion of the app is a ball that rolls all over the screen. When I turn on that portion of the app the ball goes straight to the bottom of the phone and will go side to side but will not go to the top of the phone no matter what I do. Not sure what this says about the phone but seems to be the problem. On the accelerometer there are 3 data values on all of these apps. The middle one never changes but the top and bottom do. So X and Z change but Y sticks at 156.8 or 156.9 depending on the app.

Last edited:

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Not cool at all. I'm really not sure what I want to do here. I will do the reset and see what happens (and post back) but if it is a bum sensor then that should not fix it. If I have to send it back I'm not sure if I want another one. I really do like the phone but what I like more is stock android. The Nexus 7 2013 is my other Android device. I can't say it enough coming from iPhone 4 I love this phone and love stock android and lollipop.

Also, *#0*# returns "USSD code running..." then "Connection problem for invalid MMI code."

Last edited:

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for showing me that thread. Today the phone decided to work in landscape mode. I'm not sure what is going on but I don't want it to get stuck and not work after my return period has expired. Now it has me worried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae