I have the XT1095 (Pure Edition - Android 5.0) on AT&T only for a couple of days and have voice call problems from a location (location 1) from where my other phones (galaxy S3 and iphone5) work just fine and have never shown this issue for the past year.
    The following is a description.

At location 1:
    Data works perfectly with "LTE" sign showing.
    The moment I dial a number to make a call, the "LTE" symbol changes to "H". Most times the signal strength bars fall to zero and the call does not go through.

At another location, the same process happens until the switch to "H". But there, the signal strength is better with "H" and I do not have issues with phone calls.

At location 1, I have used a galaxy S3 without ever facing such issues and also an iphone5 without any issues either.

Anyone seen this problem with AT&T and found a solution?
    12-17-2014 09:46 AM
    I believe that means HSPA. I have two moto x. One Pure Edition and one Att. Both are on the Att network. My PE switches between LTE and H. My Att switches between LTE and 3g. I think they mean the same thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-17-2014 01:06 PM
    My PE switches between LTE and H. My Att switches between LTE and 3g. I think they mean the same thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have an AT&T Moto X. Mine switches between an icon that says "4G/LTE" and "4G" when I fall back to HSPA/HSPA+.

I've seen "E" for EDGE.

I don't know if I've locked into a UMTS signal since getting this phone, but if I did I assume I would see "3G". That's the only protocol that AT&T actually calls "3G" on the phones they provide the firmware for.

I've used several unlocked phones and they generally use "H" or "H+" to indicate HSPA instead of AT&T's "4G".
    12-17-2014 02:22 PM
    I have an AT&T Moto X. Mine switches between an icon that says "4G/LTE" and "4G" when I fall back to HSPA/HSPA+.

I've seen "E" for EDGE.

I don't know if I've locked into a UMTS signal since getting this phone, but if I did I assume I would see "3G". That's the only protocol that AT&T actually calls "3G" on the phones they provide the firmware for.

I've used several unlocked phones and they generally use "H" or "H+" to indicate HSPA instead of AT&T's "4G".
    Thanks. The switch between "LTE" during data to "4G" during voice calls is something that should happen on the Pure Edition MotoX as well if it happens on the AT&T edition. My Galaxy S3 and iphone5 which are both AT&T branded also switch from LTE to 4G when making calls.

My Pure Edition MotoX switches from "LTE" to "H" which means something in the SIM is not allowing to got to 4G. That precisely is the problem. At my location "H" network is not strong by "4G" is. So my Pure Edition is the only phone that has these voice call issues.

Any idea of how the Pure Edition will be able to make calls through "4G"?
    Thanks
    12-17-2014 05:03 PM
    Every phone switches from LTE to H or H+ when making a call on AT&T -- at least every phone I have ever owned (SGS3, Xperia ZL, Nexus 5, Moto X (OG and now the 2014)) --- that seems to be normal. Even my old Galaxy Nexus went down to Edge/2.5G from H+.

H+ is HSPA+ and is what AT&T calls 4G. It's more like 3.5G (I believe it's technically an upgrade of the HSDPA standard). So phones that don't use the AT&T or other carrier data speed logos will display H (HSDPA), H+ (HSPA+), or E (2.5G) and a generic LTE symbol for data. The last carrier-branded phone I had was the SGS3 for AT&T, and that would display "4G" instead of H+. Moto seems to use T-mobile's 4G LTE symbol on the pure edition, though (I also had the T-mobile/GSM unlocked moto x 2013, which used T-mobile's data speed symbols).

Not to confuse the issue, but the calling behavior the OP is talking about (calls not going through even after the phone attempts to place the call) suggests a really poor signal strength in those locations or network congestion... or, maybe a lemon phone with a bad radio. I used to see that same behavior a lot on my older phones in bad areas, though (especially at my house with my Samsung Captivate or even my old Moto Razr). I've actually had better luck with making calls with both the original moto x and the new 2014 moto x, and signal strength at my house is generally awful.

Also, don't confuse voice/calling with the data network standards. They use different frequencies (hence how you can turn off the data connection on your phone and still make/recieve phone calls )

I would suggest the OP talk to AT&T about the issue and/or contact motorola support if it's a chronic issue.
    natehoy likes this.
    12-17-2014 05:20 PM
    Hey OP, I have the exact same thing going on for over a week and just initiated a return to Motorola. Many times the phone never rings and goes straight to VM and people have to leave a message or when trying to call out with ok reception, the call drops before connecting. Last straw was today when a caller said she could not understand half of what I was saying. I think these phones are really best suited for the new generation of young people who rarely make calls on their phones. Otherwise everything else works great.
    12-17-2014 08:43 PM
    Thanks. The switch between "LTE" during data to "4G" during voice calls is something that should happen on the Pure Edition MotoX as well if it happens on the AT&T edition. My Galaxy S3 and iphone5 which are both AT&T branded also switch from LTE to 4G when making calls.

My Pure Edition MotoX switches from "LTE" to "H" which means something in the SIM is not allowing to got to 4G. That precisely is the problem. At my location "H" network is not strong by "4G" is. So my Pure Edition is the only phone that has these voice call issues.

Any idea of how the Pure Edition will be able to make calls through "4G"?
    Thanks
    "H" is "4g". All pure editions switch to "H" when making a phone call.
    12-23-2014 11:44 PM
    As of now, no Moto X 2014 (at least on the GSM side) support VoLTE, so to initiate a call, the device will register on UMTS (HSPA) to make and receive phone calls.

This is completely normal and should be how most if not all handsets operate until they are enabled for VoLTE.

Dan

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-24-2014 06:33 PM