I have a replacement phone (coming in a couple of days) coming from Motorola. Trying to decide whether to upgrade it to Lollipop or not.

One part of me says that receiving the new phone is the best time to do a clean install. However, I will have to deal with the various bugs that Lollipop still has.

The other part of me says to wait until the stable release to upgrade (when Motorola starts shipping phones with Lollipop. However, this option means that I will need to "start from scratch" again as I would want to do a factory reset for stability after upgrading.

So, which is the "lesser of two evils"? Put up with the remaining Lollipop bugs now, or go through the effort of "starting from scratch" when a stable release comes out?
    12-24-2014 08:22 AM
    Personally I have not encountered any real issues with Lollipop on my Moto X. I think many of the problems are caused by incompatible apps or cruft left behind when people don't do a system cache wipe (or factory reset). If you're upgrading and immediately wiping, you should experience very few (if any) bugs and without the hassle of having to set everything back up the way you like it.
    raqball likes this.
    12-24-2014 09:24 AM
    Personally I have not encountered any real issues with Lollipop on my Moto X. I think many of the problems are caused by incompatible apps or cruft left behind when people don't do a system cache wipe (or factory reset). If you're upgrading and immediately wiping, you should experience very few (if any) bugs and without the hassle of having to set everything back up the way you like it.
    Agree with this...

I've also not had any issues on 5.0.. After the update I did a factory reset and all is fine on my end.
    12-24-2014 10:27 AM
    I see 3 issues with Moto's software on L, including Moto Voice unsilencing the ringer, attentive display going awol, and notifications not always playing at their set volume.

If you can live with those then go for it right out of the box.
    12-24-2014 10:31 AM
    I, myself, have not noticed any bugs on my moto x with lollipop. Everything seems to be working just fine. I think it is worth it to do a clean install now rather than after it is all set up
    12-24-2014 10:38 AM
    I, myself, have not noticed any bugs on my moto x with lollipop. Everything seems to be working just fine.
    After silencing your phone (volume»none), use Moto Voice and then tell me what your ringer volume is set to.
    12-24-2014 11:35 AM
    I just got my Moto X this past Saturday and debated the same thing. I've read about the issues with the ringer volume and not being able to set it to vibrate during meetings. Also the problems with Attentive Display, etc. So I decided to hold off on the update until I know the issues are fixed. However the past two days, I have caught it automatically downloading the update. I have stopped it by doing a Force Stop on the Moto OTA app. Not sure why it didn't ask me if I wanted to update. I'll be pretty ticked if it does it sometime when I don't notice.
    12-25-2014 08:14 AM
    I so regret upgrading my Moto X to Lollipop. There is a noticeable increase in battery drain, the bluetooth often won't recognize paired devices, and worst of all, where I used to have a moderate and consistent voice/mobile data signal, I now have a weak signal or none at all... and this is at my house!! When I do manage to connect, calls are often dropped, or mobile data will vanish while I'm using it. I'm so angry with myself for upgrading when KitKat was working great.

No way to rollback to Kitkat so I'm trying to get a new phone from Motorola with KitKat. Wish me luck!

I recommend you stick with Kitkat.
    01-01-2015 08:27 AM
    I see 3 issues with Moto's software on L, including Moto Voice unsilencing the ringer, attentive display going awol, and notifications not always playing at their set volume.

If you can live with those then go for it right out of the box.
    I did a clean install of lollipop upon unboxing and according to the test within the settings, attentive display works for me.

I did notice that volume goes back up after using Moto Voice. I use an app called Audio Manager and even locking the volume on 0% within that app doesn't help. Only three volume settings go up though. Notifications, Ringer and System sounds (e.g. keyboard taps). Alarm, Media and Voice remain untouched. Hope this gets fixed but maybe they think that if you're speaking commands, you don't necessarily need your volume to be low. Just a thought. I tested it by asking for the time. All the Moto Voice speech/beeps were sounding but the actual time was never spoken. Just gave me a google search display of the time. Did it work on KitKat?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-01-2015 08:58 AM
    according to the test within the settings, attentive display works for me
    It "always" works in the settings demo, but I'll bet you a beer it eventually fails at preventing your display from sleeping.
    01-01-2015 02:29 PM