Action Launcher 3 on Moto X with Android 5.0

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I recently gave Action Launcher 3 a try on my Moto X, and I have to say I love the colors changing with the wallpaper. All the extra customisability is pretty cool as well. My only complaint is all the bugs. I've noticed considerable lag with animations, and the launcher not staying in memory. This results in the launcher having to load again when you press the home button.

Given all the bugs I just switched back to the stock launcher. I was wondering if anyone had the same or differing experience with this new, beautiful launcher. How do you feel about the options? Would you like to see more customisability, or do you think its just right? If you had to switch back to another launcher like I did; what did you decide to use instead and would you consider Action Launcher again if it gets fixed?

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I recently gave Action Launcher 3 a try on my Moto X, and I have to say I love the colors changing with the wallpaper. All the extra customisability is pretty cool as well. My only complaint is all the bugs. I've noticed considerable lag with animations, and the launcher not staying in memory. This results in the launcher having to load again when you press the home button.

Given all the bugs I just switched back to the stock launcher. I was wondering if anyone had the same or differing experience with this new, beautiful launcher. How do you feel about the options? Would you like to see more customisability, or do you think its just right? If you had to switch back to another launcher like I did; what did you decide to use instead and would you consider Action Launcher again if it gets fixed?

I feel exactly the same way. IMO, the customisation is a perfect balance between features and simplicity. Although, like you, I switched back to the Google Now Launcher, mainly for the same reasons (as well as missing Google Now - while it is a default gesture in Action Launcher, it is nowhere near as well implemented). I would consider Action Launcher again and that's what I plan to do in a few weeks - thankfully, the updates were plentiful while I was still using it.

The only 'annoyance' was the price. I happily paid to support Chris' awesome work, unlike many others. I feel like the app itself was not entirely worth the $6, based on the current feature set and bugs, and 4 of those dollars were more of a donation.

EDIT: I forgot about the lack of the ability to resize the icons (at least, that was the case before I stopped using it, earlier this week). I tend to add quite a few icons to the dock, to keep the rest of the home screen simple and clutter free however, that was not possible.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I had similar issues as both of you.. I deleted it after about an hour and got a refund..

I think it was released before it was ready for prime time and I do realize the developer is working hard at fixing the issues but that really doesn't help it's current state.

I might try it again somewhere down the road and the next time I purchase it, it's mine for good (I don't think I'd be able to refund it again) so I will be keeping an eye on the reviews.

I'm back on Google Now launcher and will probably stay here for a while.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I feel exactly the same way. IMO, the customisation is a perfect balance between features and simplicity. Although, like you, I switched back to the Google Now Launcher, mainly for the same reasons (as well as missing Google Now - while it is a default gesture in Action Launcher, it is nowhere near as well implemented). I would consider Action Launcher again and that's what I plan to do in a few weeks - thankfully, the updates were plentiful while I was still using it.

The only 'annoyance' was the price. I happily paid to support Chris' awesome work, unlike many others. I feel like the app itself was not entirely worth the $6, based on the current feature set and bugs, and 4 of those dollars were more of a donation.

EDIT: I forgot about the lack of the ability to resize the icons (at least, that was the case before I stopped using it, earlier this week). I tend to add quite a few icons to the dock, to keep the rest of the home screen simple and clutter free however, that was not possible.

Now, you can set the amount of icons on the dock, but you cannot size the icons that show up on the home screen itself.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have Apex and Nova that were purchased long ago. I rarely use them anymore as I really like the Google Now launcher.. I do prefer Nova over Apex however..

I purchased Nova Launcher Prime long ago, but like you, I switched to Google Now Launcher right when it was released. I have used Apex and I have to say that Nova is better in my opinion.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Now, you can set the amount of icons on the dock, but you cannot size the icons that show up on the home screen itself.
But the problem is that if you have more than 5 icons in the dock, they are cut off on the sides so they all fit - unless the behaviour has changed since I last used it. Previously, you could reduce the size of the icons so that many icons could easily fit.

ChiefJaguar

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm using AL3 Pro now, though I changed to Nova for a while for a test run. AL3 has the features I'm looking for, but only stopped being buggy after series of updates. I like the quickpage, and shortcuts in the search bar. Nova was just too "safe" or "vanilla" for me I guess. The problems I had the first go around with AL were widgets not staying up to date (sunrise calendar, Google now widget)

Sent from my Moto X2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma