can anybody recommend an app for saving text message conversations in Skype etc?

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey everybody. I'm looking for an app that can help me to save my message history in other apps. I use Skype and ICQ to send messages to my girlfriend and i need to keep them all. I know that Skype automatically keeps messages for a number of months (3 months I think) but I want to save far more than that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The file the chats are in is /data/data/com.skype.raider/files<yourscreenname>/main.db. It's a SQL file. If you back that up (the phone has to be rooted to get to it), you'll have a backup of the last 3 months of conversations (or whatever is saved on the phone).

If you copy it to a PC and use a SQLite program to access it, you can join multiple backups into a single file, extract all the conversations, conversations in a particular date range, anything you can do with a SQL database. (You'll probably have to learn a little SQL though - there's probably no program written specifically for that file's format. I haven't even been able to find a Windows program specifically for that file. But there are SQLite programs that read and manipulate SQLite database files for both Android and Windows.)

As far as ICQ, it's about the same process - search the web for file information. In an Android phone, it's most likely to also be a SQLite file.

Maybe someone can convince Skype to add a "backup up my conversations to a text file" function.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi Rukbat. Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking to root my phone. And I know nothing about SQL. I was kinda hoping there was an easy way to do it like downloading an app or something like that. Probably wishful thinking on my part!

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12