So, first of all I like the phone very much. However, there's been some headaches and now I'm wondering if I damaged the ROM or phone at all. See, originally I set the phone up, but didn't do it like i wanted to. So I factory restored and did it again. I then downloaded lollipop on the phone and decided to do a factory restore again as I heard this is a good thing to do after major updates. Then, before setting up the phone again I turned it off then tried to get into the recovery mode so I could wipe the cache partition. But since the moto x does that differently I kept restarting the phone and I even accidently did another restore since I didn't know pressing up would make a selection. Through this I kept getting booted the the dead android no command screen. I was able to get back to the setup menu though by holding down power and volume down.

After I finally figured out how to wipe the cache, afterwards I did yet another factory restore because I was afraid there would be issues with the ROM or something. Now the phone set up, but I'm really worried doing all that to the phone is gonna damage it in the king term. What do you think?
    01-01-2015 11:30 PM
    I can't determine exactly what happened in the ROM or the recovery partition, since I didn't write any of the code (and even the people who did could only make educated guesses), but what you did doesn't sound as if you did any damage to anything but your time and fingers. (You';ll have to re-install any apps you installed and you've lost any date from those apps if you didn't have it backed up. That includes pictures, videos, etc.)

A factory reset, before or after an update, simply uninstalls anything you've installed and removes any information you've entered (like your Google account, any text you have showing on thee lock screen, etc.) Wiping the cache just removes junk that the app that put it there should have removed when it was finished with it.

If you're really worried, you could bring the phone to your carrier's repair location, tell them what happened (briefly) and ask if they could reflash the ROM for you, just to be sure you didn't corrupt anything. (Then you'll have to set the phone up, re-install your apps, etc.) But that's the worst that can happen if you "damaged" the ROM - it will have to be reflashed. And I believe Motorola has a flashing tool, and there should be ROM files on Moto X (2014) - XDA Forums. It's very unlikely that you did any hardware damage. (It's possible if you know how, but just pushing buttons and picking the wrong menu choice shouldn't do any damage.)
    01-02-2015 12:19 AM
    I can't determine exactly what happened in the ROM or the recovery partition, since I didn't write any of the code (and even the people who did could only make educated guesses), but what you did doesn't sound as if you did any damage to anything but your time and fingers. (You';ll have to re-install any apps you installed and you've lost any date from those apps if you didn't have it backed up. That includes pictures, videos, etc.)

A factory reset, before or after an update, simply uninstalls anything you've installed and removes any information you've entered (like your Google account, any text you have showing on thee lock screen, etc.) Wiping the cache just removes junk that the app that put it there should have removed when it was finished with it.

If you're really worried, you could bring the phone to your carrier's repair location, tell them what happened (briefly) and ask if they could reflash the ROM for you, just to be sure you didn't corrupt anything. (Then you'll have to set the phone up, re-install your apps, etc.) But that's the worst that can happen if you "damaged" the ROM - it will have to be reflashed. And I believe Motorola has a flashing tool, and there should be ROM files on Moto X (2014) - XDA Forums. It's very unlikely that you did any hardware damage. (It's possible if you know how, but just pushing buttons and picking the wrong menu choice shouldn't do any damage.)
    I mean, it seems fine. I may restore again just to be safe.
    01-02-2015 01:00 AM
    I was just mostly afraid that factory restores night have damaged the storage or software or something.
    01-02-2015 02:18 AM
    How would I know if there was a issue with the software or ROM? I mean I'm probably paranoid.
    01-02-2015 05:10 PM